The 2020-21 College Football Thread

Pariah

Sadly, Ohio State-Michigan has been cancelled due to virus complications on the Michigan side.  As a massive OSU fan I have to say that, in fairness, if the Buckeyes only end up with 5 games then there is no way they should be allowed to play in the CFP.

Having said that, I just saw a tweet mentioning that now both the #4 Buckeyes AND #5 Texas A&M (thanks to virus complications with their opponent Ole Miss) are now free this weekend.   Hmmmmm.....

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Sadly, Ohio State-Michigan has been cancelled due to virus complications on the Michigan side.  As a massive OSU fan I have to say that, in fairness, if the Buckeyes only end up with 5 games then there is no way they should be allowed to play in the CFP.

Having said that, I just saw a tweet mentioning that now both the #4 Buckeyes AND #5 Texas A&M (thanks to virus complications with their opponent Ole Miss) are now free this weekend.   Hmmmmm.....

THAT would be a game worth watching!

(Although if TAMU won, we'd run the risk of the CFP being two ACC schools and two $EC schools. Well, it is 2020....)

And now, of course, the OSU coach wants the rules changed so they can play in the title game.  Hope not, but the money grab is real...so it's possible.

The way things are now...Alabama/Florida winner is in, Clemson/ND winner is in.  Those are *locks*.   I'm less confident they'll put the Clemson/ND loser in because I think they'll want to avoid a third time round scenario.  If they eliminate OSU due to too small a body of work, there's still 2 slots to fill.  If Bama beats Florida, I think A&M might slide in.  I'm also leaning to Cincinnati perhaps.

But some of this is gonna be how they decide to pick the playoff teams this year.

And, yes, no matter what, this will color the title this year.  Despite Dabo's feeling, this one's very much tainted, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Surprise, surprise.

Big Ten expected to revoke six-game minimum, making Ohio State eligible for conference title game

Thinking about becoming a Northwestern fan for a week or two.

Well, we all knew it was nothing but an attempt to salvage as much money as possible this year, and that integrity has no place in running major college football.

It bothers me, tho, because it IS changing the rules midstream.  Anyone who treated the science at all seriously would have recognized this state of affairs was likely, but the rule was in place.  

If they were gonna do that, then why did they not let Nebraska create a matchup?  If I'm Indiana, I'm also RIGHTEOUSLY POd by this power play;  my team's ONE SUPERB YEAR in *how* long?  Hint:  they tied for 2nd in 1987.  They had a winning season last year at 8-5;  7-6 in 2007.  You have to go back to 1993 to find another winning season.  

And it's pure money.  OSU has by far the best chance to crash the CFP, and thus rake in 7, 8 mill or so;  more if they win, MUCH more if they win the championship.  It completely fits with the narrative that the big schools will do anything to accommodate the big-money sports...well, except acknowledge that they have real, even *essential* workers by and large, but they refuse to pay them appropriately.  Yeah, college football is in many ways more fun to watch, but don't peel back the covers on it.  It's a cesspool back there.

So now Pitt and Boston College are opting out of a bowl game.  The reasoning seems to be the same that Coach K enunciated:  the stress of continuing in this environment is MUCH, MUCH higher than most of us can understand...and it's not like these guys are getting paid fortunes to be in a quarantine-like environment as the NBA players were.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Oh, in case you missed it, today marked the start of the bowl season, with Appalachian State playing a sub-.500 North Texas team in the Myrtle Beach Bowl.

It served as a diversion because the kickoff was at 12:30 local.  Even a poor game is better than the usual daytime dreck.  

And hey, NTSU was 4-5, and this was one of the pure ESPN bowls...it basically exists for ESPN to broadcast.  Tennessee was scheduled to play in the Liberty Bowl...a solid 2nd-tier bowl with a long history.  They were 3-7.  They had to opt out due to Covid-19 issues;  they fell under the minimum number of players and coaches, IIRC.  But still...a 3-7 team in a bowl of that significance.  Ridiculous.

IIRC there were 40 or so bowl games last year.  It's down to 28...possibly even 27, keeping track of these is tricky...in part because 20+ teams have said "no mas."  I'd *hate* to play a post-Christmas bowl game, because you have to believe a requirement to do that will be to quarantine the entire team through Christmas.  You let your kids go home, and the risk of a large number of cases is just much too high.  Probably OK if we're talking CFP;  the payday is too big to pass on, for a New Year's Day bowl, too.  But these minor bowls...no way.  That's asking too much from everyone.

WOWWWWwww....

Betting on bowl games is, IMO, generally a terrible idea;  one never knows how teams will handle the holiday break.  The CFP games tend to be less influenced by this, but it's still there.  THIS year I think it's insanity.  If the players can't go home for Christmas, the emotional impact has to be an issue.  If they can, then how many are gonna test positive, or need to quarantine due to contact?  

That said, I like looking at the betting lines.

Alabama is favored by 19, give or take, depending on the betting site.  At least right now.  This could change.  But still...wow.  That's a HUGE line for a putative top-5 matchup.  I think the bettors might be feeling that the CFP committee did its usual favoritism, and don't think Notre Dame belongs.  Kinda hope they're right....