Transfer in 6E

Astromath

This is a continuation of a discussion back in 2010 (which is probably archived).  Here's my two cents.  The following would duplicate exactly the Transfer power in previous editions.

Using the STUN Transfer example in 6E1 sidebar, I would make the Aid a Standard Effect with the custom Advantage/Limitation "Standard Effect number must equal the amount rolled on the Drain dice (+0)."  I'm giving this a +0 modifier because the Aid dice, if rolled, would sometimes be greater than the Drain dice (which would be the Limitation because it reduces the Aid rolled to the amount rolled on Drain dice), and sometimes less than the Drain dice (which would be the Advantage because it increases the Aid rolled to the amount rolled on Drain dice).

Using one custom modifier is better and cleaner than having two custom modifiers that would amount to the same thing.

While I can understand the desire for a simpler Power, I think the method for Transfer in 6th is a net improvement over earlier editions.

Why do I think so?

1 - Because it allows for uneven amounts of DC's between the the Drain and the Aid.

and 2 - Because it allows for different fade rates between the Drain and Aid.

So many more scenarios are now codified in the rules without the need for making custom GM calls and for me that outweighs the increase in complexity. As always, YMMV.

My campaign tends to make more use of Adjustment Powers than most. When I initially read the 6E version, I disliked it but after some use I found that it works better as the Compound Power 6th makes it.

Yeah, the different fade rates feels like something you'd want to support a fair bit.

There are also some more complex builds the Combined Power supports.  

Drain:  AoE radius, selective  

Aid:  MUCH higher diceage to reflect the total amount you get, a little bit from each victim

Also, the Drain might have a fixed target like STR;  the Aid might have Variable Effect, or in the case of the AoE drain, even expanded effect.

While I prefer the 6th edition, one ellement I dislike is how trasfer never fits in a multipower anymore. If its outside, the disadvantages acn equal the advantages...and net zero...but the active ponts frequently prevent this from being a viable choice...even when the real points are reasonable

60 AP was 4d6 of Transfer in 5e and 3d6 in 6e. 

I find the 6e change a marked improvement from 5e FAQ transfer where most advantages had to be placed on the Transfer twice (once on the Drain portion and again on the Aid portion).  Paying points for advantages that affected the Drain (like AoE) but not the Transfer was also an issue.  The Linked powers would have been considerably less expensive back then.  The Aid worked if the Drain failed, and the Drain would not stop working because the Aid was maxed out.

If we had started with Aid and Drain in 1e, this would never have become an issue as it would have been clear Drain and Aid combined made a Transfer.

For powers such as Transfer and Instant Change, I think the game should have a stock, basic version available that works like the old editions (15 points/d6 gives you 1d6 transfer that fades 5 points/turn) then you can get under the hood and build something more precise with Drain/Aid if you want.  That way people can just pick the power and use it without a huge block of text, and its easier to understand.

53 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

For powers such as Transfer and Instant Change, I think the game should have a stock, basic version available that works like the old editions (15 points/d6 gives you 1d6 transfer that fades 5 points/turn) then you can get under the hood and build something more precise with Drain/Aid if you want.  That way people can just pick the power and use it without a huge block of text, and its easier to understand.

Similarly, I have found that rather than modify something to work like "the old one did," it's just more practical to use the old one.

I'm not knocking adding rules to make the new one simulate the old one, but the odds are, if you are pining for the old one, then you are familiar with it, know how it works, etc, and of course, all the work is already done.  Just plug it in and keep rocking.

:)