TPP Champions Organizations

tiger

44 minutes ago, tiger said:

Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for picking up the first issue. Issue #2 is almost finished and looking towards a August release. #2 will cover the League of Champions seen in Heroic Publishing comics.

Looking forward to it. I'm sure the group has changed some since I stopped reading it. Example: I herd the original Giant on the team died and is replaced by his son.

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, tiger said:

Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for picking up the first issue. Issue #2 is almost finished and looking towards a August release. #2 will cover the League of Champions seen in Heroic Publishing comics.

Hey Tiger! So I snagged this PDF tonight and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. There are some spelling errors that should be corrected (like Psyche rather than Pyche), and some stats that seem a bit off. In particular, Flare's powers would be better fit in a Multipower, wouldn't they? I noticed this was the case for a few of the stat builds. 

On a design note, the fonts are all over the place in size and type. I'm not sure if you were hoping to pad out the book by using a larger font for stats, or if you wanted to lean into a comic style by using Comic Sans, but it's hard to read and a bit jarring. The text spacing is a bit off in parts, and your titles should be bigger, bolder, and more eye-catching. Additionally, the images should be bigger. I'm kind of surprised that Heroic Publishing didn't supply better art, as this is a representation of their books as well as your own. Also, the ad on page 6 really should be toward the back of the book and maybe a bit bigger. 

• 7 months later...

Working on #3

Gonna include W.I.T.C.H update. Other than the small blurp in Gremlin's background, do anyone know of more info. Jason has given permission to do what I like, but would like all the info I can find.

Open to suggestions as well

4e Champions Universe mentions W.I.T.C.H. Not much extra detail, IIRC.

Part of the problem with the group is that it's very 70s/early 80s. Back then, a radical feminist terrorist group sounded vaguely plausible. Idiots like the Weathermen and Symbionese Liberation Army were real, so why not WITCH?

Also, of course, Second Wave feminism was still fairly new back then. People (whether for or against it) were still working out what it was all about.

These days, not so much. Yes, of course, there are Antifa type masked morons, but that's not quite WITCH.

You can take it away from its 70s/80s roots, but it would end up as something completely different.

I would suggest leaning into an occult/pagan theme for WITCH. Modern feminism has sometimes co-opted notable female figures from paganism and neo-paganism, notably Lilith, a demon of Mesopotamian myth and in Judaic tradition the first wife of Adam, who has been adopted by modern Wicca and theological Satanism as a divine figure of feminine empowerment. A group intended as adversaries to superheroes could emphasize such a figure's more malevolent roots.

Other goddesses of myth could also be used. The Fourth Edition Champions book, The Super Mage Bestiary (on sale in PDF in the Hero website store for $5.00 US) includes details of a matriarchal cult of witches and lycanthropes, the Hunters Moon, devoted to the Greek goddess Hecate in her roles as patron of magic, protector of women, and bringer of vengeance. WITCH need not be magic-using, but I'm sure you'd find inspirational examples in its philosophy and structure.

In general Tiger your going to have to think up the details yourself. While I don't want the group being too mystical myself, I am all for them using the image of the classic witch for themselves.  There bases should be refered to as "haunts", there uniforms include black capes and cone headwear, they are ranked as daughter (agents), mother (cell leaders), crone (ruling class). Etc.

And I finally have to admit that magic plays a part in the group. As much as I hate the idea (I want a hi-tech W.I.T.C.H. as opposes to spell slingers), the membership is so small that they can't afford to discriminate against any woman who wants to be a member. 

17 minutes ago, steriaca said:

And I finally have to admit that magic plays a part in the group. As much as I hate the idea (I want a hi-tech W.I.T.C.H. as opposes to spell slingers), the membership is so small that they can't afford to discriminate against any woman who wants to be a member. 

Discrimination, no; but philosophy and ritual as underpinnings of WITCH don't necessarily have to translate to general practical applications of magic. Even official VIPER has cult elements, but magic plays only a very limited role in the organization.

If you have WITCH based out of eastern Europe or somewhere else that missed the waves of feminism that the US and western Europe experienced decades ago, you might be able to use it closer to its original form. 

They could fight Muslim extremists and Middle Eastern governments while in that part of the world. 

When in the West, they'd be fighting for more changes around the margins, fundraising, recruiting, and appropriating tech.

They could even be portrayed by some as sympathetic figures in the media and deny any wrongdoing here which is (correctly) attributed to them. 

To paraphrase SHIELD Agent Ward: "Someone really wanted our name to spell out "WITCH."  :winkgrin:

Interpolate an acronym if you wish -- it certainly has comic-book tradition behind it -- but I for one don't think it's necessary. Hydra and Kobra never bothered with it; and nobody ever referred to the Sons of Satannish as "SOS." :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Is time travel involved?

Not that you're aware of 😁

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

To paraphrase SHIELD Agent Ward: "Someone really wanted our name to spell out "WITCH."  :winkgrin:

Interpolate an acronym if you wish -- it certainly has comic-book tradition behind it -- but I for one don't think it's necessary. Hydra and Kobra never bothered with it; and nobody ever referred to the Sons of Satannish as "SOS." :rolleyes:

True

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Is time travel involved?

The concept of "changing history" has long been around without reference to time travel, in the sense of imposing a path to a different future; although the more accurate and precise expression of that sentiment would be, "change the course of history."

42 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The concept of "changing history" has long been around without reference to time travel, in the sense of imposing a path to a different future; although the more accurate and precise expression of that sentiment would be, "change the course of history."

What I had in mind.

Kinda seeing a hybrid of supernatural & technology for the organization. Though nothing is set yet

4 minutes ago, tiger said:

What I had in mind.

Kinda seeing a hybrid of supernatural & technology for the organization. Though nothing is set yet

Magic and technology need not be opponents. Guns which look like wands and can function like wands for those who know how. Technology cloaks which provide simple invisibility but are also inscribed with magical symbols of power. Odd little things like that.

Any thoughts about their supervillain arm? Gremlin shouldn't be the only super to associat with them.

Have 4 others and there shall be agents. I'm thinking a "council" that runs the group.

Along with WITCH in #3 will be lawyers for supervillains & the underworld. Offices of WC&H, Wee, Cheatum & Howell. Will be lawyers, staff and investigators/enforcers written up.

2 hours ago, tiger said:

Have 4 others and there shall be agents. I'm thinking a "council" that runs the group.

Along with WITCH in #3 will be lawyers for supervillains & the underworld. Offices of WC&H, Wee, Cheatum & Howell. Will be lawyers, staff and investigators/enforcers written up.

Ok. Which one is Moe?

Goddesses and demonesses WITCH acknowledges. 

Lilith: Morher of monsters, the first succubus, representing animals, lycantropes, the moon, darkness, animal lust, and animal berserker rage. Involved for spells of animal control, darkness, animal transformation, lust.

Juno/Hera: Juno is involved for safty of the home and marriage, and Hera is basically involved for vengeance. 

Istar: War.

Athena: Intelligence. 

Hela: Death.

Aphrodite/Venus: Romance, love, beauty. 

I'm sure there are more.

For WITCH, you could probably take quite a bit of stuff from DEMON and file off the serial numbers. Instead of Cthulhu-esque gods behind them, they are a full-on pagan organization. Any superhuman woman could be a member and the most powerful among them on the High Council (or whatever they call it).

What could be fun is to have them be a secret conspiracy with agents seeded among supervillain teams (and maybe some hero teams too). Mentalla of Eurostar could be a member or maybe the Duchess Von Drotte on VIPER’s leadership council.