TPP Champions Organizations

tiger

I'd be careful about borrowing too heavily from 5E/6E DEMON. This isn't for a single group's campaign, it's for publication, and you don't want people buying it to feel they got the same as another product.

OTOH the 4E version of DEMON, from Classic Organizations, might be an inspirational resource, as it explicitly merges the occult with the technological, as has been discussed here as a possibility.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, Lord Liaden said:

To paraphrase SHIELD Agent Ward: "Someone really wanted our name to spell out "WITCH."  :winkgrin:

Interpolate an acronym if you wish -- it certainly has comic-book tradition behind it -- but I for one don't think it's necessary. Hydra and Kobra never bothered with it; and nobody ever referred to the Sons of Satannish as "SOS." :rolleyes:

Hiding Yoda During Ruthless Anarchy - Basically after the period of anarchy during HYDRA's takeover, Yoda will emerge and usher in a new Galactic Republic.

"Necessary HYDRA was, yes."

You could have the original name be WHICH but the media misunderstood it at their first event and called it WITCH.

Then the group itself became divided on the idea with half of them thinking it was cool and the other half being highly irritated that the media got the name wrong.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:20 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

He might anyways just for having a group called WITCH.

Not if you do it right. Or at least, not much.

There is the problem that it is a "feminist" group being created by men. No female players have commented in this discussion. That means we have to step warily.

There is also the problem that it doesn't make as much sense as it would have in the early 80s. Back then you could draw on real examples of 70s era lunatic fringe groups - these days, the lunatic fringe has moved on and taken new forms. A modern WITCH seems a little anachronistic, unless you reinvent it completely, which means effectively creating a new group.

Some connection to the emergence of second wave feminism seems like a good idea. It can be rather attenuated though, with the founders having moved on or passed on. So this can be a version of WITCH reimagined by younger members, who don't necessarily share the vision or values of the founders.

There are some interesting possibilities. For example, the original WITCH could have been the first queer supervillain team (or agency). Of course they were nuts - supervillains, duh - but they were in their own stupid way pioneers. (Plot seed - Who Needs Men? Can humans (women) be bioengineered for parthenogenesis?)

Actually, they were probably mainly agents, with some supervillains. That's why the serum that created Gremlin was so important to them. I would have to rummage about to find the original published writeup of Gremlin. (In an issue of Space Gamer in, umm, 1982 or so.) I think she had WITCH as a Hunted. It would be Watched, these days, naturally. Anyway, the point costing can tell us something about its composition.

Their conflict with VIPER is important - one of the few canonical pieces of information we have about them.

Possible ideology: "the patriarchy" has messed up the world. It's time for women to take over. Fair enough. They are (or started as) Well-Intentioned Extremists.

An early activity of most second wave feminist groups - consciousness raising. In a supervillain world, that can be literal! Or they could use super-drugs as a tool to do that.

What tools do they use? Any available. It wouldn't be fair for an organization named WITCH to not contain witches. But science should also be used - Gremlin's serum is an example. The comparison with pre-5e DEMON seems fair.

---
Final note: don't use the term "woke". While it might still have some currency in radical African-American circles, outside that it is code for "the person that uses it is an idiot and can be ignored". It's mainly right wingers that use it, of course, but a few of the more vapid white liberals may also. They are the only ones who take themselves seriously.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, tiger said:

Sorry to hear about the issues, tried to catch any. I'll fix them and get a new PDF made

I would suggest using the Hero rule book layouts as a style guide.  Comic Sans is a very bad font for body type. For long passages, it is preferable to use a serif font, from a Latin style group, rather than any sans serif type.  You can use anything you like as a display type for titles and headers, but try not to be too goofy about it, and strive for readability.  

38 minutes ago, tiger said:

I felt it fit that issue being based on characters from Heroic Publishing comic

Oh. If you wanted a good “Hand Lettered” font, there are free and paid fonts actually used in comics on the site Blambot.com. I myself use a font called CCWildWords.rtf, from Comic Craft, which I think has now gone defunct.  Any of the good Blambot word bubble fonts will work. It’s just that Comic Sans is a terrible font, owing more to Charles Schultz’s arthritic lettering than the pros from DC or the late Albert Deschanes (sic) who lettered a lot of comics.