Semi-Major Mistake in Champions Complete

My contention @Duke Bushidois the assumption you’re making about being creative. Basic did come out to only 3 level (however is you go back and check, it was designed to be a beginner for Advanced and made references to the future rules) and yes you needed to be creative at times. However just because the game expected you to be creative doesn’t mean that the GM was creative. My old house demanded that I was a handy man and well I wasn’t. Wife won’t let me near a toilet to fix. And linked to that is the concept of Rulings. Ok the GM has to make a Ruling based on…..what exactly? Now some people can make fair rulings and are confident in them. Some like me aren’t very confident (well I am now) and were unsure of making a fair Ruling. Those books back then were very little on GMing. I’m pretty sure there were a percentage of people were looking for more rules as guidance. There is of course no perfect amount of Rules. For some what seems too many others seem too few. Iow things didn’t change just because there are other factors involved. Cheers.

Thank you for all the work you put into making an excellent product. As with all creative endeavors, you eventually have to reach a point where you say that it is "done enough", otherwise it will never be finished. Don't sweat the small things. I have bought multiple copies for players *because* it is such a solid product. Keep up the good work.

• 5 months later...

The one that makes me want to :headdesk: every time I read it is this part of Ironclad's sword writeup - 

"HKA 2d6 (4d6 w/STR)"

No, no, no, NO!!

HKA 2d6 (6d6 w/STR).

There's no cap on 2 * base DCs damage.

6e2 p99 mentions it in Toolkitting: Adding Damage, even though it's not the base rule.  But there's no mention of it in Adding Damage in CC.

(Whew!  Thanks for letting me vent; I feel better now.  I like CC, it's a great book. It's just that stuff like that triggers one of my Psych Lims... must remember to buy that on off with XP [if the GM will let me].)

On 3/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, SCUBA Hero said:

The one that makes me want to :headdesk: every time I read it is this part of Ironclad's sword writeup - 

"HKA 2d6 (4d6 w/STR)"

No, no, no, NO!!

HKA 2d6 (6d6 w/STR).

In my "defense," I copied this error over from Champions.  So while it's definitely a mistake, it's not my mistake (at least, not originally).  :winkgrin:

The "STR Adds" is a challenging issue.  I don't think "well, we'll remove the cap, the suggest adding it back as toolkitting, then apply the toolkitting to all writeups" was the ideal approach.

On the positive side, STR adding to HKA is intuitively logical. On the negative, it is an orphan mechanic (doesn't the ability to survive without inconvenience in the depths of space suggest some defenses, for example?).

"Grond should do more damage with a broadsword than Ancient Aunt April", one side will shriek.  "Grond should not do 6d6+1 HKA with a 1 BOD HKA hatpin", the other side will moan.

EASY SOLUTION:  You paid for the HKA, you get the HKA dice. If you want to do more damage with your STR, you make a Combined Attack.  Now Grond does 18d6 Normal + Broadsword damage or 1 point HKA + 18d6 normal when he hits someone with a hatpin.

For Heroic games, we can easily have STR adds that are capped - 1 1/2d6 HKA, +1 1/2d6 HKA, only one DC per 5 STR over a base 8 STR.  Complex build?  Sure.  Who's paying for it?  It's equipment.

Want your Brick to do 3d6+1 with the sword?  Buy a 3d6+1 HKA - when will he not have the STR?  Make it a Unified Power, or limit it to require STR, even lock that STR out of other uses, if you want.

Now we can make "HKA" and "RKA" just KA - 1d6 per 15 points, ranged by default. Claws? KA, no Range. 

The STR damage rule applies to improvised weapons. Grond bought his Unobtainium Unbreakable Hatpin with xp.

I cannot ever recall a Fantasy game where the 4 PD/ED, 4 BOD (great)sword (see 6E V2 p 171) broke when wielded with high STR to double its damage and that sword was a Real Weapon purchased with cash, not CP, or was capped at 8 DC by summing its BOD and Defense.  A wooden club would have lower defenses than a metal sword, or so one would think.