El Espectro

Jhamin

Stalker's Background in Champions Villains: Vol3 mentions that his decades of killing were temporarily brought to a halt in the 1960s by El Espectro, a Masked Mexican Wrestler and expert monster fighter.

Does El Espectro appear anywhere else?  Do we have any information on him?  I feel like I've seen his name elsewhere in the fiction.

I've decided I need an NPC legacy hero to show up as a contrast to a descendent of the Black Mask in my Ravenswood games & a descendent of El Espectro might fit the bill (assuming he is at all an appropriate character for what I'm thinking).  "Son of" characters are an honored tradition in Lucha Libre anyway which makes a legacy NPC seem especially appropriate.

As you undoubtedly guessed, El Espectro is an homage to the famed luchadore and Mexican cultural icon, El Santo. Espectro is mentioned a couple of times in Champions Universe (pp. 13 & 22), debuting in either 1955 or 1956 depending on the entry. While never having been written up in a Champions book, he is fully detailed in the Lucha Libre Hero genre book.

7059a1e2018587fc4f1db8a7cb694dca.jpg

El Espectro also receives an historical note in DEMON:  Servants Of Darkness  p. 15, relating how he thwarted a DEMON scheme gone wrong.

El Espectro Contra El DEMON: Mexico City, because of its mystical significance, has long been a target for DEMON, and the authorities discovered the organization’s first Demonhame in 1964 during the annual festival of Dia de los Muertos. The Morbane had intended to raise the spirits of a select few deceased men and women, all of whom were relatives of the rich and powerful in Mexico City. When the residents of Mexico City ritually welcomed the spirits of their dead family members back into their homes, these spirits would enter and permanently haunt the places, acting as spies for DEMON. However the Morbane misjudged the potent power of the holiday and inadvertently called forth Mictecacihuatl, the Aztec Lady of the Dead. Mictecacihuatl unleashed her spirit hordes, who possessed the celebrating children and then rioted in the streets. Only the timely intervention of El Espectro saved the day. The heroic wrestler forced Mictecacihuatl to return to her home dimension when he went there himself (by coercing the Morbane into sending him) and threatened to take over her dominion. The goddess recognized El Espectro’s silver mask for what it was, knew this was no empty threat, and abandoned the material world to protect her realm.

I *knew* I recognized El Espectro from somewhere!!  Thanks.  Even better, that El Expectro is the son of the original Golden Age El Expectro so my intention of giving them a 21st century descendent is indeed appropriate.

Now, how to translate him into a full champions Universe incarnation?  Thinking out loud, It looks like in the Champions Universe El Expectro was active in the 50s and 60s which means his power level as written probably is appropriate for the Era.  On the other hand he apparently defeated Stalker, likely by wrestling him, so an inheritor of the title needs the goods to be able to hang with modern heroes.

Lucha Libre is on a lower power level than Supers, but I suspect only because of the budget of the movies it is based on.  A MCU El Espectro for example could likely give Captain America a run for his money... so figuring out how to give the modern one that ability without just making him a 60 STR brick is the challenge.  This is complicated by me needing him to be a teen hero.  So he shouldn't be as strong or as skilled as an adult, but should still plow through thugs.

His Luche Libre writeup makes it clear his Mask is a powerful artifact that gives him godlike power in the lands of the Dead.  In the Earth realm it lets him detect the supernatural.  All the rest of his ability is just pure physical skill and machismo.

I think his inheritor needs to be a skilled Luchador (or what's the point?) but with a Str in the teens (so he can come into his muscles as he grows).  The Detect Supernatural is a given, but should we also let him have fun stuff like Affects Desolid on his Str (to wrestle Spooks) or a characteristics boost in the presence of the divine (to reflect the mask making sure its wearer "keeps up" with foreign gods like Hercules?)  Or do overt things like that take it too far away from El Espectro's origins?

No matter what, he needs to be able to keep up with modern Aztek mummies and Frankensteins.. who likely have better stats in the Champions U than they do in Lucha Libre Hero.

Thoughts?

A Higo El Spectro sounds like a cool idea...I'd say a 20 St (30 when grown) A Monster hunters art (martial arts, with full grapples and escapes) and the Silver Mask +10 Pres defensive, +20 Pres vs spirits and gods etc and maybe a Cosmic power pool/Multi Only in the ghostworld -2 ? It can just be a muguffin though, as no supernatural creature is going to risk facing it's power. So he mostly uses Pres based attacks on spirit creatures, and manly fists on Chupacabra and the like.

The real Santo became a Mexican cultural icon, holding a place in their public consciousness comparable to Superman in the United States. Since Espectro seems to be his CU analogue, those will be mighty big tights to fill. If his son aspires to achieve that stature, he'll have to compete with the caliber of super menaces on Champions Earth today.

It would be comic-book-logical for the many years the first Espectro wore his magic mask to have changed him, such that he passed on to his son physical and even spiritual potential exceeding his own.

Since this is a legacy hero with influence in the lands of the dead.  How about an NPC advisor in the form of the spirit of his deceased grandfather? Someone only he can hear or see that he can go to for guidance.  Think Obi-Wan or the Patrick McGoohan character in the Phantom movie. Kind of a see-through version of Alfred the Butler.

Just as a bit of flavor to separate El Spectro from being just another crime fighter.

18 hours ago, steriaca said:

I would give him a naked Variable Advantages on his Strength which should include Affect Desolification. It may be either Only In Alternative Identity or IIF (Mask), or maybe no limitation at all considering a Luchador never is without his mask, and is rairly out of it.

I thought about this, but a quick reading of The Martial Arts rules for 6E makes this unworkable for someone working off of martial maneuvers.

I'm pretty committed to giving this character a bunch of Luca Libre martial maneuvers and the rules for applying naked advantages require that you need to buy the naked advantage for each maneuver.  Buying it on STR an getting it for all your moves is explicitly forbidden. 

My plan is to buy such an advantage on El Escpectro's "Scissor of Death" signature move.  Maybe a little weird, but it should suffice and makes a bigger deal out of his signature move.

45 minutes ago, Jhamin said:

I thought about this, but a quick reading of The Martial Arts rules for 6E makes this unworkable for someone working off of martial maneuvers.

I'm pretty committed to giving this character a bunch of Luca Libre martial maneuvers and the rules for applying naked advantages require that you need to buy the naked advantage for each maneuver.  Buying it on STR an getting it for all your moves is explicitly forbidden. 

My plan is to buy such an advantage on El Escpectro's "Scissor of Death" signature move.  Maybe a little weird, but it should suffice and makes a bigger deal out of his signature move.

Well, that sucks. The guy wrestles monsters. Prehaps one maneuver built like a power (no range Affects Desolification physical energy Blast to represent that one thing gifted by his ancestors which allows him to punch ghost?).

What do folks think of this?:

Son of El Espectro

Val     Char    Cost    Roll           Notes

15      STR       5       12-            Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

15      DEX     10      12-            OCV:  6/DCV:  6

15      CON      5       12-

15      INT        5       12-            PER Roll 12-

18      EGO      8       13-            ECV:  3 - 5

15+10  PRE       5       12- / 14-   PRE Attack:  3d6/5d6

6       OCV     15     

6       DCV     15     

3       OMCV  0      

5       DMCV  6      

5       SPD      30                        Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12

15      PD          7                         Total:  15 PD (6 rPD)

15      ED         7                         Total:  15 ED (6 rED)

10      REC       6

40      END      4

12      BODY   2

40      STUN   10      Total Characteristic Cost:  146

Movement:       Running:  16m/32m

Leaping:  6m/12m

Swimming:  6m/12m

Cost   Powers                                                                                    END

The Mask of El Espectro, all slots OIF (Silver Mask; -½)        

7         1)  Know his Opponents:  Detect Supernatural Creatures 13- (no Sense Group), Sense; OIF (Silver Mask; -½)           0

10      2)  Unbreakable Will:  Mental Defense (15 points total); OIF (Silver Mask; -½)              0

12      3)  El Espectro's Grip:  Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+½) for up to 35 Active Points of Las Tijeras Del Muerte, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); Only vs Targets with Souls (-½), OIF (Silver Mask; -½)            0

7         4)  Steely Gaze:  +10 PRE; OIF (Silver Mask; -½)                   

18      Luchador Toughness:  Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED)       0

Lucha Libre

Maneuver         OCV    DCV    Notes

Mat Holds

5         Ankle Lock       +0      +0      Grab One Limb;  40 STR  to hold on; Prone

5         Chin Lock         -1       -1      Grab One Limb;  45 STR  to hold on; Prone

4         El Cangrejo       +1       -1      Grab Two Limbs;  35 STR  to hold on; Prone

3         Step-Over Toll Hold   +1      +0 Grab Two Limbs;  35 STR  to hold on; Prone;You Fall; Roll (PS: Luchador)

5         Las Tijeras Del Muerte +1    +0 Grab Two Limbs;  35 STR  to hold on; Prone

Pressure Squeezes

3         Basic Pressure Squeeze +0   +0 9d6 Squeeze; Must Follow Grab; Roll (PS: Luchador)

Takedowns

4         Bodyslam          +2      +1      5d6 Strike; Target Falls

4         Slingshot Linebacker  +0      +0 5d6 +v/3 Strike; FMove; You Fall, Target Falls; Turnbuckle

Escapes

4         Breakout            +0      +0      40 STR vs. Grabs

8         +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

5         Manuel Guerrero (Biological son of former El Expectro):  Contact (Good relationship with Contact) 13-

3         Positive Reputation:  Nightmare of Those Who Do Not Dream (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +3/+3d6

Skills

3         Acrobatics 12-

3         Acting 12- (14-)

3         Breakfall 12-

3         Traveler

2         1)  AK: Mexico 12-

1         2)  CK: Horizen City 11-

1         3)  CK: Mexico City 11-

1         4)  CK: St. Louis 11-

3         Climbing 12-

0         Concealment 8-

3         Contortionist 12-

3         Deduction 12-

3         High Society 12- (14-)

0         Language:  Spanish (completely fluent; literate)

4         Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)

0         Paramedics 8-

0         Persuasion 8-

3         Scholar

1         1)  KS: Lucha Libre 11-

1         2)  KS: Magic and the Occult 11-

1         3)  KS: Mezzoamerican History 11-

1         4)  KS: Spanish Literature 11-

1         5)  KS: Supernatural Monsters 11-

0         Shadowing 8-

0         Stealth 8-

2         Finisher:  Las Tijeras Del Muerte

2         Signature Move:  Step-Over Toe Hold

2         PS: Luchador 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  154

Total Cost:  300

300+ Matching Complications

15      Social Limitation:  Luchador Identity (Frequently; Major)

5         Rivalry:  Professional (Higo Craneo LLameante; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

15      Hunted:  Mad Scientists/Monsters 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

20      Psychological Complication:  Honorable (Very Common; Strong)

Total Complications Points:  300

Background/History:  Born to aged parents, Christian Velasco received a deep education in the classics of Mexican literature and History as well as culture, politics, and all the things a worldly man must know.

Christian was a paragon of a boy. Strong, Intelligent, Athletic. He excelled at his studies and was a star at any sport he pursued, but his first love was always wrestling. Encouraged by his Father’s best friend Manuel Guerrero he became a rising star at his local youth league. Christian was returning home to show his Father the belt he had won at a competition when he discovered the family home in flames and strange, freakishly tall figures fleeing the scene.  His Parents nowhere to be found and sitting in the charred remains of the only life he knew… he felt a great calm wash over him silently walked to Manuel Guerrero’s home & put on the Luchador mask he knew Manuel kept hidden in his study.

Christian tracked the strange figures to an abandoned mansion where he rescued his parents and destroyed the sewn-together horrors that had taken them. When he went to return the Luchador mask  Mr. Guerrero was waiting for him.  He explained that the mask had belonged Guerrero’s Father, and Christian had not stolen it, it had called to him. The Mask belonged to Christian now, but he had much to learn to be worthy of the others that had worn it before him. They had much work to do.

Personality/Motivation:  Christian Velasco was a studious, serious, dutiful young man. He did his homework, minded his parents, and did not seek a flashy life. When he puts on the Mask that all fades. When wearing the mask he thinks of himself as “Son of El Espectro”, a bold & dynamic hero who does what must be done to keep everyone safe and see that evil is punished.  While wearing the Mask he feels free to be bigger, bolder, and more decisive. Some thought is strange that he asked to be called by his new name while wearing the mask, but most found “Son of El Expectro” too charming to resist.

His parents have asked Manuel about the change, but he assures them that it is healthy for a boy to find himself at this age, and if he chooses to be a Luchador what of it? Manuels father made a healthy living in the ring for decades.

Christian hasn't noticed that in his head he has started calling himself "El Espectro" instead of "Christian".  If someone pointed it out, it probably wouldn't bother him.

Quote:  "You revel in the Evil your evil, spreading mysery behind you, but Hell-spawned power is nothing in the face of a true Luchador!"

Powers/Tactics:  Since gaining the mask and with months of intense tutelage from Mr. Guerrero Son of El Espectro’s Lucha Libre has grown in Leaps and Bounds. Not only has his skill increased, but he has gained 3 inches in height and 60 lbs of muscle on his already athletic frame!  He can already defeat most adult Luchadors but Manuel Guerrero insists he is not yet ready to turn pro.  His knowledge of Lucha Libre is expansive but does not yet match his predecessors.  Mr Guerrero insists his time is coming and takes pains to show him all he will need to know.

Son of El Espectro has also had several encounters with the Supernatural and once crossed paths with a woman claiming to be the daughter of the infamous Dr. Frankenstein (although she was way too young to be the daughter of a 18th century man). 

He knows that he learns what he learns not only to reign over the Lucha Libre ring, but also to use this manly power to punish the forces of the underworld.  When he comes into his full maturity, with Strength and Intellect to match, the Son of El Espectro will be a great enemy of all those who would perpetrate evil upon the world.

Campaign Use:  I will be introducing Son of El Espectro as a "legacy" character who comes to his name not by blood or by influence but by his worthy heart.  Mr. Guerrero, The biological son of the last El Espectro, was too materialistic and too in love with his father's glamorous image to truely be worthy of his mask.  He has truely learned his lesson but was too old to take on the mask himself and is now honestly humbled to see a heart as pure as Christian's.  He knows Christian will be as great an El Espectro as Salvaje or Guerrero's own father Pepe.  Mr. Guerrero teaches him everything he knows about Lucha Libre, the occult, and the world.  While others might find it odd that Christian is increasingly thinking of himself as "El Espectro" Manuel finds it perfectly normal.  His father was El Expectro and Christian is becoming him now as well.

I'm running a Ravenswood Academy game & a prominent NPC is the 2nd child of Black Mask X.  She feels somewhat resentful that her brother is being trained as Black Mask XII and has a deep rivalry with him.  In actuality her Mother (Black Mask X) and Godmother (Black Mask XI) are in agreement that while her skills aren't in doubt her ego gets her to make bad choices and are trying to put her in an environment (Ravenswood) where she will need to learn some humility.  I intend to use Son of El Espectro as another example of how to deal with a legacy: Thinking of it as a gift and a responsibility rather than an inheritance someone is owed.

Looking over him, I might need to make his abilities a bit less reliable.  He is about 80% as skilled as the original El Espectro but isn't old enough to drive.

I may put an activation roll on his bonus Presense to reflect that the "El Espectro confidence" comes and goes.  Any other suggestions?

Activation roll on "Grip" power. Make Mental Defense as only vs supernatural creachers (this it is useless against other forms of mental powers). Remove 0END on "Grip" and prehaps add 2x END Cost.

Prehaps lower Resistance Protection to about 3 each, then raise it back to 6 but only against supernatural creachers. Or the extra Resistance Protection on the IIF (Mask).

You might want to use the spanish equivalent to "The Son of" for his name (like the the wrestling son of El Santo is called El Hojo Dela El Santo")

2 minutes ago, Jhamin said:

I see where you are going but I want this NPC to be able to hang with my PCs, only one of whom is supernatural :)

Making too much of his stuff only apply vs supernatural opponents is going to depower him too much when he needs to vie with "regular" Supervillians.

Then...face it. He is an NPC. He is not going to gain experience points anytime soon. Leave him as is.