3 Favorite Mix Soundtracks

Tjack

Okay, as promised here’s the other side of the coin.  Let’s say you’re looking for backround music for a gathering in the days before I-Pods and all those that came before or since.  All you can use is a record player and you want a mix of songs from different artists and groups. What three soundtracks do you put on the turntable?      (Previous restrictions and rules apply.)

1) Forrest Gump       It’s got a nice selection of tunes from the ‘50’ thru the ‘70’s

2) The Big Chill          The same but for the ‘60’s thru the ‘70’s

3) Empire Records   And once again for the ‘80’s &’90’s

40 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Conan the Barbarian

Braveheart

Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

Honorable Mention:

Wrath of Khan

Fright Night (1985)

Game of Thrones

2nd honorable mention:

Anything John Williams or John Carpenter

Six strong albums, but I was thinking of more of a party mix tape/ I-pod set on shuffle kind of thing.   You’ve got great  picks for another category I want to do of backround music for your game night.  Best for Champions, Fantasy Hero, Justice Inc., Danger International etc.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Ok, I know I'm gonna forget something really obvious, but here goes. 

1. Dumb and Dumber
  2. Dirty Dancing
  3. The Lost Boys 

Any particular songs or are they just a nice mix of tunes?

I love the Green Jelly track! :rockon:

But the Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead is a definite highlight, as well as If You Don't Love Me (I'll Kill Myself). It also has The Proclaimers covering Get Ready and The Butthole Surfers covering Hurdy Gurdy Man

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but it really works.

Dirty Dancing soundtrack, just a whole feel. Got some really old stuff on there I never heard before, too, like Hey Baby!

Lost Boys has some real bangers, as the kids say. Daltrey singing Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me, Gramm on Lost in the Shadows, and of course the cover of People are Strange. Cry Little Sister might be my favorite, though. 

Three from me from various artists

X-Files Fight the Future group soundtrack. There is a soundtrack album as well so do not confuse the two. It has the best mix of Sarah McLachlan's song Black that I have heard. Walking After You by the Foo Fighters is the song for Mulder and Scully. Noel Gallagher's Teotihuacan finishes the album and is on the film over the credits (as is the Foo Fighters track) and works wonderfully. Unmarked Helicopters, The Hunter by Bjork, all the tracks work well.

Playing by Heart soundtrack, Drinking in LA by Bran Van 3000 opens the album, Bonnie Raitt has a track called Lovers Will, you have Porcelain by Moby and Chet Baker doing Everything Happens to Me. I like the whole album.

And Yes both are films with Gillian Anderson in them. Anyone wants to make an issue of it, I'll be waiting outside.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack. A lot of the music turned up in the series. Once you heard the theme you knew that you were going to be entertained, I like the theme by Nerf Herder. Bif Naked appeared in the show performing the track Lucky but I heard it first on the album and liked it. Again I like the whole thing but Four Star Mary and their track Pain which again was in the show as they were the band that Oz was in is really good. As is Wild Horses by the Sundays. This is a cover of the Rolling Stones song and is really good and the version I prefer.

Is it cheating to say Hackers (1995) as they released three separate soundtracks? The first was music from the movie, the other two were inspired by, or cut tracks I think. Going to try to avoid repeating anything from past entries. All entries ordered by title, not preference. 

Traditional Films 

• The Crow (1994) - Band Highlights: The Cure, Helmet, Rollins Band, TKK, Violent Femmes
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (1994) - Band Highlights: Alice in Chains, KMFDM, Korn (Also, I can't believe I put anime on my list but it's a good soundtrack.) 
  • The World's End - Band Highlights: Blur (and it's not Song 2), The Doors, Suede, The Sisters of Mercy 

Musicals 

• The Blues Brothers 
  • Little Shop of Horrors 
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show 

Honorable Mentions 

• Deathgasm (Because we need more soundtracks with Death Metal....)
  • Knights of Badassdom (Because people should watch the movie)
  • The Lost Boys (Because it's mandatory listening) 
  • Repo The Genetic Opera (Because Zydrate comes in a little glass jar.)
  • Shoot 'Em Up (Because sometimes you need some buttrock.)

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Three from me from various artists

X-Files Fight the Future group soundtrack. There is a soundtrack album as well so do not confuse the two. It has the best mix of Sarah McLachlan's song Black that I have heard. Walking After You by the Foo Fighters is the song for Mulder and Scully. Noel Gallagher's Teotihuacan finishes the album and is on the film over the credits (as is the Foo Fighters track) and works wonderfully. Unmarked Helicopters, The Hunter by Bjork, all the tracks work well.

Playing by Heart soundtrack, Drinking in LA by Bran Van 3000 opens the album, Bonnie Raitt has a track called Lovers Will, you have Porcelain by Moby and Chet Baker doing Everything Happens to Me. I like the whole album.

And Yes both are films with Gillian Anderson in them. Anyone wants to make an issue of it, I'll be waiting outside.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack. A lot of the music turned up in the series. Once you heard the theme you knew that you were going to be entertained, I like the theme by Nerf Herder. Bif Naked appeared in the show performing the track Lucky but I heard it first on the album and liked it. Again I like the whole thing but Four Star Mary and their track Pain which again was in the show as they were the band that Oz was in is really good. As is Wild Horses by the Sundays. This is a cover of the Rolling Stones song and is really good and the version I prefer.

I like the “Radio Sunnydale” album myself.    As much as I rag on the CW, their shows always had good music.  I did think it was funny that every show had its own club where the action would take place like the Bronze in Buffy or P3 in Charmed so that they could have an excuse for real bands to be in the backround.

The reason I started these threads was that it’s fun to see where people’s tastes in music can be so alike and so different at the same time.

18 minutes ago, mattingly said:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Blues Brothers

Purple Rain

Honorable Mention: Flash Gordon

Ooh, also...

True Stories (Talking Heads)

Does Flash Gordon or Highlander count or are they just Queen albums. (Yes, I know Highlander is lifting songs from A Kind of Magic...)

4 hours ago, Certified said:

Does Flash Gordon or Highlander count or are they just Queen albums. (Yes, I know Highlander is lifting songs from A Kind of Magic...)

Neither do as this list is specifically for albums with songs by a number of different performers.  The previous list was for single performer or performance (like Live Aid) albums.

BTW;  “A Kind of Magic” was supposed to be the Highlander soundtrack but it wasn’t released due to the poor box office of the film.  AKoM was only released after the music rights reverted back to Freddie & the boys.

4 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I liked it.

The Blues Brothers is a great choice. I would have thought though that the Conan, Highlander and Flash soundtracks belong in the other thread as this is for multiple artists.

You’re right, but I’m trying not to be a scolding schoolteacher on these.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

“A Kind of Magic” was supposed to be the Highlander soundtrack but it wasn’t released due to the poor box office of the film.  AKoM was only released after the music rights reverted back to Freddie & the boys.

It's always really interesting to learn these kind of things. Not just in music but in general, like the weirdness around first generation BattleTech mech images, or Night of the Living Dead. 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I don't recall seeing the soundtrack to Heavy mtetal yet mentioned. I find this rather odd.

Would have listed it here, but I brought it up in a past list, and I'm trying to avoid repeats. 

Edit: Quick aside, while I don't think the sequel had the same charm, they also had a great soundtrack, Bauhaus, Billy Idol, MDFMK, and surprising good adds from ICP and Pantera.