2022 Baseball Thread

unclevlad

The acronym G.O.A.T. gets thrown around a lot in sports, but for Vin Scully, I think it's probably well earned. I don't know of any other broadcaster with his name recognition, with the possible exception of the late Harry Caray. There's a reason for that.

Rest in peace, Mr. Scully.

Well, a quintessential Modern Baseball game today.

A's at Angels.

Angels blast 7 homers...and lose.

Because all of em were solo shots.  Because they only managed 9 hits total.  They scored 7...leaving only 4 runners on base.  Because the starter imploded in the 3rd...single, force out, walk, walk, double, double, home run.  6 runs.  Couple more the next inning, 8 runs total, and they hold on for an 8-7 win despite the bombardment.  Someone on MLB Network was criticizing their pitching, after Ohtani...but it's been a bit below middle of the pack.  Not terrible.  But their team OPS is 26th...with Ohtani, sometimes with Trout.  I believe they've been hammered with injuries, ok, and Trout's still out, but they have squat for depth, and according to MLB.com's rankings, probably not gonna get any.  And not getting much in their trade moves.  Which points a finger squarely at the front office...again.

Interesting.  Scrolling down the comments, someone asked "how many times each logo appears.  The OP did the counting...he's got to have younger eyes than me.

One thing I've always thought, but never done the numbers on, was that the Astros have been the source of more MLB regulars than any other team. This confirms it:

HOU 19
STL 18
CHC 16
CIN/LAD 14
PIT 13
LAA/TEX/CLE/KCR/NYM/PHI 11
BAL/ATL 10
OAK/BOS/ARI 9
DET/CWS/TOR/TBR/SDP 8

Since this doesn't cover pitchers, except for the #1 starter, it's a little off, but it does offer an indication about each team's long-term draft efficiency.  Some teams will trade draft picks, so it's not completely accurate...but quite often, it's trading prospects, and here, it's legit to look at how many do make it.

It's probably dead wrong to try to read too much into it, but when has that ever stopped fans? :)

Major League

I'm also partial to Mr. Baseball - Tom Selleck as an aging former MVP who is forced to play in Japan.  Surprisingly good.

For the Love of the Game is also not bad.

Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and The Natural  are just ok for me.

23 hours ago, Pariah said:

This is just an unbelievable feat. 

And the Rockies have found another creative way to lose a ball game. After leading the Cardinals 4-3 late, they went into the bottom of the ninth tied 4-4. After the Colorado loaded the bases, St. Louis won the game on a walk-off hit by pitch.

Let's hear it for the Rocky Horror Pitching Show. 

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

That smell forced the mayor out, and the sale has apparently been canned for now.  

Dodgers become the first team to reach 80 wins...and their magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 30.  In mid August...  Yankees continue their serious tailspin.  9 runs combined in their last 7 games.

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

And the Rockies have found another creative way to lose a ball game. After leading the Cardinals 4-3 late, they went into the bottom of the ninth tied 4-4. After the Colorado loaded the bases, St. Louis won the game on a walk-off hit by pitch.

Let's hear it for the Rocky Horror Pitching Show. 

Angels once lost a game in the ninth against the A's when the throw back to the pitcher (Frankie Rodriguez, I believe) went off his glove and the man from third scored before the SS could get to it. They also lost, same season, when Scott Shields standing on the mound and a man on third, dropped the ball and it hit the edge and literally rolled all the way to the dugout. So loss by hit by pitch is mundane in comparison.

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

References to "Tungsten Arm O'Doyle" seem be in vogue this evening.

The Rangers canned their president of baseball operations yesterday.

Can the Angels be far behind?  They've had a history of *awful* roster construction and seriously misguided contracts for quite some time.

Coincidence or not?
Angels won 94, 100, and 97 games 2007-9.  Playoffs all 3 years.  Lost in the DS in 07 and 08, then in the CS in 09....to AL East teams, when the AL East was dominant.  (2 of those years, they were knocked out by the eventual WS champs.)

Then in Nov. 2009, they name a new club president, elevating the VP for sales and marketing.  

And have made the playoffs once since then...and got swept.  Granted, the Royals made the WS that year...and won their first 8 playoff games...so it wasn't unique.  But that's the only year.