How do you handle limiting power sources in your campaign?

dean day

On 1/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

I'm flashing back to Marvel's New Universe, where the White Event caused superpowers. But we had Justice, a warrior from another dimension (who eventually turned out to be under mental power deception by an enemy, and was really a real-world cop before the White Event).

He was a little crazy.  The White Event happened when he was pumped up full of psycho-active drugs. 

I'm flashing back to Marvel's New Universe, where the White Event caused superpowers

Its kind of weird because Star Brand got his powers from an alien (?? maybe not? maybe time-traveling him?) then the white event was caused by Star Brand trying to bleed off some of his power into an inanimate object and nuking Pittsburg in the process.  So basically he was the source of all superpowers in the world.  Except where did he get his from?

I liked a lot of the New Universe, and think it should have been maintained but once Shooter was fired, they dropped the entire project.

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its kind of weird because Star Brand got his powers from an alien (?? maybe not? maybe time-traveling him?) then the white event was caused by Star Brand trying to bleed off some of his power into an inanimate object and nuking Pittsburg in the process.  So basically he was the source of all superpowers in the world.  Except where did he get his from?

I liked a lot of the New Universe, and think it should have been maintained but once Shooter was fired, they dropped the entire project.

IIRC the White Event and nuking Pittsburgh -- the "Black Event" -- were separate events, though Star Brand caused both. And yes, time travel was involved, so the Star Brand did not (at that point) have a definable origin: it existed in a time loop.

Later, the MU hero Quasar acquired the Star Brand, replacing his quantum armband thingies. I don't know what happened to the Star Brand after Quasar's title was cancelled, though I'm sure I could look it up on Wikipedia. I haven't thought about this stuff in decades.

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

So you see, that is one way to limit a power source, which brings us right back on topic.

;)

Well, having it removed by a cosmic being of eminence power does solve mistakes the game master has made in allowing certain power sets in...

Players might cry about that, but hey, YOUR CHARACTER was the one who attracted the being's attention.

Star-Brand was part of that "absolute power" kick that Jim Shooter was on for a while, along with the Beyonder. I had the same issue with the Beyonder as I did with Michael Moorcock's "End of Time" characters. People whining about how meaningless their lives are when they literally can do anything and want for nothing. That became boring and irritating very quickly.

OTOH a practically omnipotent being can be one of those "switch-flipping" events that brings on superpowers. It just decides to do that to a race and planet to see what would happen, or perhaps for some hidden purpose. Interactions with that being subsequently should be very intermittent at most, but would probably become the ending story arc for a campaign.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, Lord Liaden said:

People whining about how meaningless their lives are when they literally can do anything and want for nothing.

I should not in any way liken that to a living generation of Americans...

Ok, on topic, what if an origin-story event or factor did focus on just one generation.  Like a drug or environmental contaminant or mystic conjunction.

So it's Teen Supers & superpowers are a disruptive wildcard, initially,  after 20 years supers are well-established part of society, etc...

...another 40 and it's "OK, Super"