NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QBs can play on high ankle sprains... barely.  Mahomes did it in the playoffs, with an entire roll of tape and probably some thermonuclear painkillers.  QBs do have to push off their right foot but they don't have to run and cut and wrestle 350-pound ogres like the other players do.

That said, TLaw should take at least a couple of weeks off.  The Jags still have a one game lead in the division.  Cleveland is beatable and I wouldn't play an injured QB against Baltimore.

WOW....

Is this gonna turn up the heat under the Steelers, or what...

Pats have the ball, deep in their own territory after a roughness penalty on the kickoff after the Steelers score...but the Pats are still up 21-10.

And it broke the over...before half time.

Late edit...Steelers turn it over on downs after a lob-fade on 4th and 2 fails...at the 2 minute warning, and they're down to 1 TO left.  I know they blew 1 TO earlier.  21-18 Pats.

Steelers have run 64 offensive plays for a grand total of 219 yards.  Even Herbstreit and Michaels are wondering about that last call.

<sigh>  

I'm stuck with the stupid Jets-Texans game, cuz the CBS station's in El Paso....

0-0 at the half...

Of course, as soon as I write that, the Jets open up the 2nd half with a long TD drive.....

EDIT:  and it would've held up, but the Jets have an offensive explosion...3 TDs.  4 1/2 left in the 4th, 3 score lead, and Stroud is heading back to the locker room for a concussion check.  OK, just reported, in the protocol.

Browns lead Jags, Bengals are taking out Colts.  2 teams at 8-5, 4 teams at 7-6, if those hold.  IF the Bills can beat the Chiefs...it'll be 8 teams within 1 game, and the Broncos could make it 9.

And Detroit apparently can't handle prosperity.  

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

EDIT:  and it would've held up, but the Jets have an offensive explosion...3 TDs.  4 1/2 left in the 4th, 3 score lead, and Stroud is heading back to the locker room for a concussion check.  OK, just reported, in the protocol.

Russell Wilson can't beat the Texans, but Zack Wilson can. Sweet.

I'm rooting for the Niners, Giants, and Raiders to win...because that sets up, count em...a 7-way tie at 6-7 for the 2nd and 3rd WC, and the NFC South...Falcons, Bucs, and Saints are all in this group.  

In the AFC...Buffalo and Denver wins give, as I noted...9 teams within 1 game.  For *5* slots.  Ravens struggle but an OT punt return TD gets them to 10-3, and a 3 game lead.  Dolphins should match them...they're 5-0 at home, Titans are 0-6 on the road.  Otherwise...break out the dart board and the blind fold for the rest.

13 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Not Zack Wilson but the unsafe turf. Near as I can tell the entire first string Texans offense was injured by the end of the game. 

Call me a Luddite if you will, but I believe football was meant to be played on grass. Baseball too, for that matter.

Stroud's concussion would likely happen on grass.  Hit the ground, angled back, with the hips first?  Forces the back and therefore neck to whipcrack down.

Mmmmmmmm.....THRILLING OFFENSIVE SHOW in the desert today!!!!!!!!!!  Can we have a 0-0 tie?  Please?  Pretty please?  Just for the humor value.

EDIT:  Herbert out, down 17-0...this is likely the Chargers' swan song for the season if they can't somehow come back, especially if Buffalo holds on.  4 games left, 2 back of just too many teams.  They can't all fall apart.

Wow.

You just don't associate KC with so many terrible mistakes.  Kadarius Toney was *clearly* lined up in the neutral zone, and that just killed it.  Latest in a long line of problems.

The Broncos are a game back for the division..............??????????  BUT, KC holds the divisional record edge right now.

Having played some O-line back in the day, there's one penalty I've always felt was absolutely inexcusable: False Start. If you were paying any attention in the huddle, you know the snap count. Just wait for the count, then go. It ain't rocket science.

But after today's games, I'm prepared to add a second inexcusable penalty: Lining Up In the Neutral Zone. Look at where you are, and look at where the ball is. If you're in front of the ball, you have to move back. And if you're a receiver who's a full step in front of your offensive line, you absolutely have to move back. 

Mahomes and Reid can complain about a lack of warnings from the officiating crew, but it was a stupid, thoughtless penalty that didn't need to happen. Yeah, it probably cost them the game. So don't do that again, yeah? 

Again, it ain't rocket science.

And I expect you caught the same note I did.  That used to be given a warning...and I do remember seeing the wideouts  appearing to be warned, and step back, in the past.  BUT NOT NOW.  That penalty's been called 11 times this year, according to NBC's rules guy.

Illegal formation is another.  You line up to run plays over and over and over.  By gosh, tight ends and wideouts HAVE to know what, in any given formation, they are...the widest guy on a side has to be ON the line, the rest have to be OFF the line.  

And, ya know, forgetting the snap count...happens sometimes.  Yeah, it *shouldn't*...but it does.  It's a brain cramp.  But lining up like that?  He never looked.  One peek as he set up, that's all it should take.  And he was just off the edge of the line, it's REALLY easy to see it.  So, yeah, this goes down as one of the worst flags I can recall too.  Oh, hey, there's one called against the Eagles!

Well, Cowboys have beaten a good team now.  Interestingly, Philly still has the inside track...because of tiebreakers, and because they have the Seahawks, Giants, Cards, and Giants left.  Win out, they win the division.

And has anyone noted how many 60 yard FGs have been made?  One tonight, AND a 59 yarder.  It's the 5th so far this year...by 5 different kickers.