NFL 2023

unclevlad

Yeah, the Donkeys are officially out now. In fairness, they lost to the Jets, the Commies, and the Patriots. They don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

They do have the opportunity to salvage a winning season if they can beat the Raiders in Vegas next week. That would be a good positive step.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Yeah, the Donkeys are officially out now. In fairness, they lost to the Jets, the Commies, and the Patriots. They don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

They do have the opportunity to salvage a winning season if they can beat the Raiders in Vegas next week. That would be a good positive step.

I fully expect the Raiders to do whatever they can to help you with that.

Mmm...I'd bet on the Raiders, I think.  Granted...betting on a game where both teams have been eliminated is nearly the height of folly.  (THAT is betting on bowl games.)  Consider...from one of the line aggregator sites...

Chargers -1.5 over Chiefs (nothing to play for)

Steelers -3.5 over Ravens (nothing to play for)

Bills -3 over Dolphins...even tho it's in Miami.  This one surprises me, as Miami should want the #2 seed fairly seriously.

Raiders -2.5 over Denver, about what I'd guess.

Fun one?  Colts -1 over Texans.  Winner has a very good chance to make it, loser is probably out.  Odds are this will be a Saturday game;  it looks like that announcement will be after SNF, since it hasn't been announced yet.  I did see that both games will have playoff implications...no Denver/Vegas, where both are toast.

What would've been amusing...had KC lost, then Denver *could've still won the division*.  So, who would they start, Wilson or Stidham?  Stidham, presumably, but that would leave NO DOUBT that Wilson is gone.  Not like there's much.  Oh well, the hypothetical didn't arise.

EDIT:  and Carolina clinches the worst record, so the Bears lock up the #1 pick...which is kinda good, cuz they've been winning too much.  Their own pick right now would be in the 10-12 range.

That pic is a blast from the past.......all that's missing are the helicopters.  (Yeah, I remember seeing this scene *live*...from one of the choppers.  Totally surreal.)

I'd not seen this, but Rapaport usually is a reputable source, so this story's very interesting.

https://www.nfl.com/news/examining-factors-that-led-to-broncos-benching-russell-wilson-and-what-s-potenti

And what Rapaport is saying, makes sense, particularly the point that asking whether Wilson would push the guarantee date back feels like...negotiation.  Not a threat.  That said, if the relationship between Wilson and Payton was bad, a reasonable inference...I suppose Wilson might've seen it as a threat.

What I still can't see, tho, is Wilson being on Denver's roster next September.  If a core issue is that Wilson doesn't read quickly enough, missing open receivers when the window's there?  At this point in his career, I simply can't see any way that'll improve markedly, and I GREATLY prefer the ability to run the offense over trying to make something out of nothing on a busted play.

David Tepper breaks the most important rule of them all:  don't get caught.

Video shows him dumping the remnants of a beverage onto a fan.  

League fine him $300K today.

Playoff situation.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-playoff-picture-postseason-probabilities-entering-week-18-of-2023-season

The craziness mostly only comes about in case of certain ties, but there are some *really* specific scenarios that allow certain losers in through the back door.

A Denver Post writer looks at the situation for the Broncos next year.  His response to the second letter goes into the major cap issues nicely.

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/01/02/broncos-mailbag-sean-payton-russell-wilson/

“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything” -Ronald H. Coase

My uncle, who was an accounting professor, is fond of saying, "Statisticians never lie, but all liars use statistics." 

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

We have Colorado to the east and Nevada to the west. So instead of seeing Broncos /  Raiders this weekend, we get Cowboys / Commanders.

Fantastic.

At least it saves you from having to watch the Raiders.

Dallas/Washington may be for the NFC East title, so it's a significant game.

Denver/Vegas is playing out the string...yeah, there's a complex scenario where it could matter for Pittsburgh, but both teams are themselves eliminated, so...yeah, it's local markets only.

Phllly-Giants is very interesting, in that it's the NE of course...and Texas.  Because there's VERY likely to be LOTS!!!! of fans in both areas who'll watch both games.

The coverage map has some interesting market assignments, where certain teams may be impacted by the result.  

I presume Utah doesn't get the Denver game because Cowboy fans are believed to outnumber Bronco fans, too.

Oh.  My.  Lord....

Tyler Goodson and, to a degree Gardner Minshew, are getting no sleep tonight.

Texans up 23-17, a minute left.  It's 4th and 1.  Shallow little wheel route to the back in the flat.  Not a perfect throw...wrong side of the back, forcing him to spin...but Goodson had his hands on it, and I think also looked a bit away, starting to run before completing the catch.  DOINK.............................

Incomplete.  Texans can't quite run out the clock, but they're able to run it down to 8 seconds before punting.  They take the intentional safety with 1 second left, and the Colts don't get divine intervention.

On the flip side, the Texans' kicker is breathing a massive sigh of relief...as he pushed the extra point on the go-ahead...his first missed XP of the year.

EDIT:  I think the Hades Herald just pushed out a special edition, warning of a massive blizzard.......the TEXANS are in the playoffs!

Looks like the Browns are enjoying a bye week.

And the Jacksonville run defense is about as resilient as tissue paper.  First possession of the second half, Henry rips off a massive run...which gives him 41 games of 100+ yards, which is the franchise record for the Titans/Oilers.  Who, you might recall, had a back named Campbell.

Titans up 15.  Can hear the cheering coming down the pike from both Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Amusing possibility...if Buffalo and Jacksonville both lose, then...Buffalo plays at Miami *again* in the WC round.

Bengals beat the Browns 31-14 meaning the AFC North is the first division in 88 years with every team having a winning record.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/afc-north-to-become-first-nfl-division-in-nearly-90-years-to-achieve-this-feat-if-bengals-beat-browns-week-18/

Edited by Starlord

Dak may end up sitting out the 4th quarter.

Eagles look rudderless...totally adrift.  Offense is sputtering, defense gets gashed for numerous big plays...and the Giants aren't exactly a juggernaut.  It's 17-0 right now, and honestly, it doesn't feel that close.

The way things are shaping up, Bucs-Eagles may well be the rout of the first round...by the Bucs.  Despite the lack of scoring by the Bucs...everyone's shredding this Eagles defense, so we can kinda anticipate the Bucs will get a few TDs.

Sheesh...make that 24-0, XP to come.  46 yards to a WIDE open Barkley, busted coverage for about a 15 yard TD to Slayton.  2 plays 60-odd yards, right after the 2 minute warning.