NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Detroit!🤥

There is always next season

These words are the utterances of frustrated Detroit Lions fans for decades now!

It would be great for them to reach the Super Bowl but my cynicism says otherwise.

Many blame William Clay Ford (of the Ford family) for the mismanagement of the team and the bad seasons they have had.

Lets hope the next generation of Fords can pull the team together. So far so good but, like I said, my cynicism says otherwise!

There is no paranoia like coaches' paranoia.

Dak's still in the game.  It's 35-10, less than 10 minutes left.  Giants are still up 24-3 early 4th.  

But there's a 1 in...what, 100,000 chance that the Commanders and Eagles can come back!!!  KEEP DAK IN!!!

52 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

A functional definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over, expecting a different result.

Like...rooting for the Vikings.

Or the Raiders.

Or the Broncos.

You left out the Jags, who deserved a better season, or at least a better end to the season.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

A functional definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over, expecting a different result.

Like...rooting for the Vikings.

Or the Raiders.

Or the Broncos.

Pariah,

You get to deal with him first.

I'll deal with whatever remains.

Edited by death tribble

Next up: When will Russell Wilson be released? And who will be the starter for the Donkeys next season?

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Denver will draft either Bo Nix or Michael Penix Jr. in April. If that happens, I hope they will keep them on the bench behind a veteran (Jarrett Stidham or someone else) for at least the majority of the first season. No need to turn either of those guys into Zack Wilson 2.0. 

They've only got the 12th pick.  Some sites have QBs going 1-3...Williams is the only one listed at #1 that I saw;  Drake Maye is pretty consistently 2nd or 3rd;  and the last is Jayden Daniels from LSU.

Broncos have a LOT of needs, including wideout, if they can offload your favorite whipping boy, Jerry Jeudy.  One site had em going for an edge rusher.  But figure, they've got work to do, so...perhaps consider Houston's draft approach?  DON'T take a QB in '22, get other needs.  Then get the QB and a complementary piece in '23, and turn things around.  OK, we gotta say, Stroud had perhaps the single best rookie QB season *ever*...and that's really not hyperbole.  He led the league in TD to INT ratio...among all QBs.  OK, it's not the insane numbers Aaron the Flake put up...pushed 10 twice, and once was at 12.5.  Lots of us loathe him as a person, but 475 TDs, 105 picks is...amazing.

What I think would be seriously wrong is trying to trade up.  That smacks totally of Yet Another Instant Fix attempt, and they've thrown away so many assets in pursuit of that already...the Wilson trade, getting permission to sign Payton.  I think they need to look longer term...that is, of course, almost unheard of in modern American pro sports, tho.

42 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Next up: When will Russell Wilson be released?

Whenever it makes for the smallest hit against the salary cap.  That's knowable, but I don't have it in my head.

The Pete Carroll days in Seattle may be over, also.

They've only got the 12th pick.  Some sites have QBs going 1-3...Williams is the only one listed at #1 that I saw;  Drake Maye is pretty consistently 2nd or 3rd;  and the last is Jayden Daniels from LSU.

Broncos have a LOT of needs, including wideout, if they can offload your favorite whipping boy, Jerry Jeudy.  One site had em going for an edge rusher.  But figure, they've got work to do, so...perhaps consider Houston's draft approach?  DON'T take a QB in '22, get other needs.  Then get the QB and a complementary piece in '23, and turn things around.  OK, we gotta say, Stroud had perhaps the single best rookie QB season *ever*...and that's really not hyperbole.  He led the league in TD to INT ratio...among all QBs.  OK, it's not the insane numbers Aaron the Flake put up...pushed 10 twice, and once was at 12.5.  Lots of us loathe him as a person, but 475 TDs, 105 picks is...amazing.

What I think would be seriously wrong is trying to trade up.  That smacks totally of Yet Another Instant Fix attempt, and they've thrown away so many assets in pursuit of that already...the Wilson trade, getting permission to sign Payton.  I think they need to look longer term...that is, of course, almost unheard of in modern American pro sports, tho.

Bills win the AFC East for the 4th consecutive year.  This is in stark contrast to the NFC East, where no team has repeated in 19 years now.

Just now, Old Man said:

Man Miami is just about out of players.  And Tyreek limped off on the second to last play.

And their reward for next week is a trip to KC, where the forecast for next weekend is single-digit temperatures.  Pittsburgh could arguably thank Buffalo for winning;  they end up 7th, and head to Buffalo...but the early forecast there is...20's.

Schedule:  Browns/Texans Saturday afternoon (late) slot;  Dolphins/Chiefs Saturday night.  Oh joy, single digit temps and a night game.  Hey, good news, this is the Peacock-only game.  I can live with not seeing it, I think.

Steelers/Bills is Sunday early, Packers/Cowboys late, Rams/Lions Sunday night.
Eagles-Bucs Monday night.

That's not altogether bad;  of the 3 night games, the only brutal one from a weather/temp perspective is Fins-Chiefs.

I assumed the former was a delayed consequence of the near-apocalyptic winter storm and public utility crisis in Texas back in Feb 2021.  Y'know, the "Hell freezes over" thing.  It wasn't actually Hell that froze over, but Texas is an approximation thereof, as Gen. Sheridan referred to once.

Edited by Cancer

51 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I wouldn't want to play CJ Stroud in the first round

Stroud was the only reason my other fantasy team made it to the playoffs, after I lost Burrow and Anthony Richardson.

Meanwhile, so far Arthur Smith and Ron Rivera have been put to the sword.  Belichick might actually be next.

14 hours ago, Cancer said:

Whenever it makes for the smallest hit against the salary cap.  That's knowable, but I don't have it in my head.

The Pete Carroll days in Seattle may be over, also.

The minimum impact is still large, but the dates, IIRC:

--before the '25 guarantees kick in

--but I think they want to play some games cuz they can get some of the cap hit spread out to 2025.  IIRC that's the post-June 1 designation.  

So I believe Wilson doesn't get released for quite some time.

Out the door already:  Smith (Atlanta), Rivera (Washington).  No surprises there.

Hired: by Washington, Bob Myers.  The man that shaped the Warriors dynasty.  No specific role mentioned.  Also, Magic Johnson will be part of the advisory committee picking the next HC and head of football operations.  They don't know football inside and out, but they certainly have been key cogs in successful sports organizations.  

EDIT:  The Athletic is reporting that Myers is also going to be part of the advisory committee.

The Giants' DC resigned.  Stories are that it's pretty much wholesale changes among the position group coaches.  

Picks...

Texans over Browns.  Yes, this may be dictated by emotion.

Chiefs over Dolphins.  Florida teams, single digit temps?  No thank you.  But this may well be a very low-scoring game, due to the weather, so this is probably my least confident prediction.

Bills over Steelers.  Could end up with another game decided by a fluke play.  Biggest line of the weekend...bigger than Cowboys over Packers.  Not sure I see it, the Bills make too many bonehead plays.

Cowboys over Packers by a lot.  Likely the blowout of the weekend, given Dallas is home.  

Rams over Lions.  A tad contrarian, to be sure.

Bucs over Eagles.  The Eagles are just way too beat up.  They're favored but I think that's still looking through them through the lens of making the SB last year.  This team has been bad.  I'll grant, the Bucs don't exactly inspire confidence either, so yeah, this one could blow up in my face quite spectacularly.