NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The backup QB is in for the Packers...marking the 2nd game in the 3 playoff games so far.

Jordan Love tosses a perfect passer rating.  Packers score TDs on *5 straight* possessions...19 yards, but then 93, 75, 75, and 48.

This result isn't shocking, it's utterly unbelievable.  And utterly DELIGHTFUL!!!!

I had ESPN Bet on for a bit.  Comments were...Aaron Jones won't get 74 yards because the Packers aren't going to have the lead for 73% of their snaps.  Oh yeah?

This is a flat-out Mike Tyson shot square to the face for the Cowboys, despite the late scores.|

EDIT:  and Greg Olsen was questioning things like how far back the Cowboy safeties were, letting Jones run the ball for good yardage.  Mike McCarthy's in-game calls have been questioned for a LONG time...back in Green Bay, and multiple times in Dallas.  12 regular season wins...who <bleeping> cares?  TERRIBLE performances in the playoffs, this one being one of the worst *ever* considering the situation.  Totally unprepared, totally outcoached, totally outplayed.

It is, IMO, entirely possible that Mike McCarthy is going to be fired.

10 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I doubt it, but it's still delicious to see him humiliated by his former team in the playoffs.

Belichick is out there...and the internet's exploding with rumors/hopes.  This is typical:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-fire-mike-mccarthy-jerry-jones-reacts-playoff-loss-statement-im-floored

And as you say, McCarthy was totally humiliated.  They win the division in 21...and lose in the WC round, at home...to the lowest seed in the NFC.  Then they do it again...spectacularly.  I'll grant that Garrett lasted much longer, with similar criticism and much worse performance overall, so sure, McCarthy may survive...but if so, next year?  He'll start the year with the hottest coaching seat in the NFL.

No, that's not a direction of motion it's built for, but hopefully, it wasn't forced *too* far in that direction.

They generally don't show busted bones...that are suddenly at 45-90 degree angles from where they're supposed to be.  There's nothing visibly disturbing...well, except that we know that HAS to hurt a ton, so I expect many of us wince sympathetically...or graphic there, fortunately, and Higbee's life wasn't at risk.

Heh.  Wish I'd made a Lasts Longer bet.  Which Texas team will be playing the latest in the season?  Or, same bet...between the Lions and Cowboys?  At the start of the season.

So, watching some MLK Day basketball before the football.  From the CBS crawl:

What we learned from the Wild Card Round, Day 2:  Dak, Cowboys remain frauds.

That isn't a word I expect to see outside the rabble-rouser talking heads.  And now we get a CBS broadcast...which means Romo.  He probably won't rip the Boys, Dak, or McCarthy, but I'm curious to hear how far he'll go.  It's too much of an elephant in the room for him NOT to comment.

To echo Old Man's post...does anyone think the Eagles have any real shot at coming back?  Despite the fact that the Bucs can't close the deal?  Because even if their drives are mostly stalling, they're still eating up the clock while getting *something* each time.  

Well...maybe.  2 big passes have the Eagles down deep, so it's only a 1 score game.  And the Bucs just gift them with a tush push......that they DON'T CONVERT!!!! Amazingly!  Still 16-9.

28 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Man it's like the Eagles gave up four weeks ago.

They had...glimpses.  But so much erratic play.  Like the 4th and 5, after taking the FG off.  Plausible call, but the line couldn't hold up at all and Hurts really never had a chance.

Buck and Aikman have made the point that the Eagles lost both coordinators from last season, as they're *loosely* speculating at this point whether Siriani could get fired, based on this complete collapse...10-1, near-lock on the division, then implosion.  I'm thinking, not Siriani, but both coordinators.  And I won't be too surprised if Siriani is part of the purge, as I agree...the Eagles don't look like a team with any self-belief.  

And it's not like, IMO, Tampa Bay's that good.  They've made a TON of mistakes themselves.

EDIT:  opening lines for the divisional round.  Only Chiefs-Bills is particularly close, Bills -2.5.  Ravens -8.5 over Texans, Niners -9.5 over Packers, Lions -5.5 over Bucs.

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

They had...glimpses.  But so much erratic play.  Like the 4th and 5, after taking the FG off.  Plausible call, but the line couldn't hold up at all and Hurts really never had a chance.

Buck and Aikman have made the point that the Eagles lost both coordinators from last season, as they're *loosely* speculating at this point whether Siriani could get fired, based on this complete collapse...10-1, near-lock on the division, then implosion.  I'm thinking, not Siriani, but both coordinators.  And I won't be too surprised if Siriani is part of the purge, as I agree...the Eagles don't look like a team with any self-belief.  

And it's not like, IMO, Tampa Bay's that good.  They've made a TON of mistakes themselves.

For me the main justification for firing Sirianni would be the total lack of ideas or morale on the team.  They made no changes on offense at all, and there's been plenty of press coverage of both the players and coaching staff having no idea how to fix it.  I'm semi-watching this game, Tampa is in man coverage basically all the time and Philly has two running quarterbacks and I didn't see a single designed run.  No attempt to get running backs involved in the passing game, no pre-snap motion.  I'm like, dude, put in Mariota or try a wildcat or something.  The whole thing reminds me of the McCarthy days in Green Bay where the coach calls endless vanilla plays and expects the players to do all the work.

That's a point about the Dallas game, too...on the defensive side.  GB ran 54 offensive plays.  Dallas played with 6 OR MORE DBs on 48 of em...despite the fact that Jones ran the ball 21 times and averaged almost 6.  The Cowboy defensive weaknesses were equally well known, and the Packers *constantly* exploited them...and Dallas made no adjustments.

Worst performances of this round...Cowboys, hands down, then Eagles, then Dolphins.  Sizable gap for me, then Steelers and Browns, both of whom get a bit of a pass because both, IMO, *tried*...but just didn't have the talent.

Best performance...Houston and Green Bay share the honors, IMO.  Some of you will break that tie based on the delight felt by crushing their particular opponents. :)   

14 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

That's a point about the Dallas game, too...on the defensive side.  GB ran 54 offensive plays.  Dallas played with 6 OR MORE DBs on 48 of em...despite the fact that Jones ran the ball 21 times and averaged almost 6.  The Cowboy defensive weaknesses were equally well known, and the Packers *constantly* exploited them...and Dallas made no adjustments.

Worst performances of this round...Cowboys, hands down, then Eagles, then Dolphins.  Sizable gap for me, then Steelers and Browns, both of whom get a bit of a pass because both, IMO, *tried*...but just didn't have the talent.

Best performance...Houston and Green Bay share the honors, IMO.  Some of you will break that tie based on the delight felt by crushing their particular opponents. :)   

I'm inclined to give the Fins a bit of a pass after they lost five starting LBs over the previous two weeks, as well as Jaylen Waddle and Xavien Howard.  And then played a playoff game in weather cold enough to shatter helmets.  Otherwise I only felt bad for the Rams, who played well but just had a lot of things go wrong.  And they still only lost by a point.

Next week I'm inclined to root for Houston, Buffalo, and Detroit, all for the same reason--a long stretch without any Superb Owl appearances.  Houston's not gonna beat Baltimore though.