NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting speculation about Belichick here...

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-tom-brady-tv-booth-reunion-together-fox-analyst

For Fox...Bradshaw's role has, I think, declined, and his health has appeared to be an issue.  For ESPN, booting Rex would please me immensely, as I personally think he's an idiot.  CBS needs to slim down its studio group, IMO.  It also seems particularly dated to me.    Then again, it is CBS;  they've always appealed to an older demographic.  I'm not seeing the 3-man booths...the B Team would be amusing (Burkhardt, Brady, Belichick) only because it'd be such a convenient snark to use, but I have my doubts about the dynamic among them.  I have much stronger doubts about Nantz/Romo/Belichick, because I'm not sure about Romo splitting analyst duties with *anyone*...it doesn't fit his style.  Now...a Buck/Aikman/Belichick crew could work...if Buck and Aikman were willing, and if ESPN/ABC/Disney was willing to cough up the $$$.  That argument can be made for Nantz/Romo too...and possibly The B Team...but I think Fox would be Just Fine spending the money, and CBS probably would...but Disney's done salary dumps at ESPN several times in the last 10-15 years.

28 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

He's better than you might think.  I did see some clips of him on, IIRC, the 100 best NFL players of all time, and he's far more relaxed on those.  But I'd rather give him an hour-long analytical show, say on NFL Network, with the right host.  Pre- and post-game shows tend to be too superficial and fluffy.

That, I might watch.  To be fair though, the current crews are such that if Romo or Olsen aren't calling the game, I'd rather watch it on Nickelodeon.

Aikman isn't bad either, though he has become less so in recent years. Romo reminds me of Aikman when he was younger. Their analysis was usually spot on and they weren't afraid to call players or coaches out for decisions/plays, say unlike Collinsworth, whom I really liked on the hbo show but as an announcer he tries to hard to not insult anyone. I really want him to start talking about receivers who drop easy passes too often, because that was something as a receiver he never did.

It'll be interesting to see how Fox handles this.  An article in the Athletic noted that Olsen may be best served by waiting...cuz Brady has so many irons in the fire that he may well not last his entire 10 year contract.  Olsen's young...if it takes 4-5 years to get back into the #1, and that becomes an almost unassailable #1...it's worth it.  

One writer at CBS Sports is projecting Russell Wilson to the Raiders after his release from Denver in a few days:

2024 NFL QB matchmaker: Kirk Cousins to Falcons, Jacoby Brissett to Vikings, 17 other logical veteran moves

Another writer has also proposed releasing Jarrett Stidham. picking up an affordable veteran QB, and selecting a rookie QB in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft:

5-step quarterback plan for the Broncos in 2024

I also saw an article suggesting that Zach Wilson might end up in Denver, but I'm not going to dignify that with a link. 

3 minutes ago, Pariah said:

One writer at CBS Sports is projecting Russell Wilson to the Raiders after his release from Denver in a few days:

2024 NFL QB matchmaker: Kirk Cousins to Falcons, Jacoby Brissett to Vikings, 17 other logical veteran moves

Another writer has also proposed releasing Jarrett Stidham. picking up an affordable veteran QB, and selecting a rookie QB in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft:

5-step quarterback plan for the Broncos in 2024

I also saw an article suggesting that Zach Wilson might end up in Denver, but I'm not going to dignify that with a link. 

I would be most amused if we wound up effectively trading Garoppolo for Wilson in a perfect example of deck chair rearrangement.

But, the Raiders can sign Wilson to a 1-year deal for *league minimum.*  And 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/las-vegas-raiders

Cutting Jimmy G after 1 June saves $24M in cap space, and Wilson costs nothing.  IF!!! you think Wilson can still play a mediocre level of QB, then spend the draft to get pieces, perhaps.  They have 2 pretty good picks, 13 and 44, then #77 (third round)...and the rest are pretty much junk.  (4 picks are between 210 and 227.)

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But, the Raiders can sign Wilson to a 1-year deal for *league minimum.*  And 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/las-vegas-raiders

Cutting Jimmy G after 1 June saves $24M in cap space, and Wilson costs nothing.  IF!!! you think Wilson can still play a mediocre level of QB, then spend the draft to get pieces, perhaps.  They have 2 pretty good picks, 13 and 44, then #77 (third round)...and the rest are pretty much junk.  (4 picks are between 210 and 227.)

It's funny, I completely missed that the Derps hired a new OC a month ago.  Wilson might well do better under the legendary Luke Getsy than he did with the intricate Payton offense.  The Bears' offense the last couple seasons didn't strike me as complex at all, and Wilson clearly wants to just play sandlot football anyway.

It's official now:

Eagles' Jason Kelce retires: Future Hall of Fame center calls it a career after 13 NFL seasons

First ballot Hall.of Famer, I should think.

Oh, yeah, that.  That's official too:

Russell Wilson landing spots: Broncos to release veteran QB two years after trade, take historic dead cap hit

GM George Paton should be the next to go. The whole Wilson fiasco is ultimately his doing. 

Youch.

From the story:

According to Pro Football Talk, Denver will have a cap charge of $35.4 million in 2024, and another cap charge of $53.6 million for 2025.

The '25 hit will be particularly onerous.  They're still $20M over the cap now, too, so they're gonna be losing players big time.  Strikes me as a good time to trade a couple players that'll bring back good draft returns, because the next 2 years are gonna be super-lean.  We're talking just out of college, minimum wages with big student loans lean.

EDIT:  on the ESPN bottom line, it's pointed out that the cap hit is larger than the next 2 largest combined.  Side thought...I doubt Vegas is making # of wins lines for '24 this early...there's little sense before the draft, if nothing else...but one can put a very qualified, very rough baseline.  Broncos...5 wins?  

Super Bowl lines, yeah, but those are broader.  Win totals get pretty specific.  But hey, you might be right...bettors can bet on crazier things...

But I'm not seeing them at 3rd worst.  The most common line I'm seeing is +10000, or 100 to 1.  Same as Steelers, +15000 is Giants, Titans, and Commanders;  then Pats and Panthers have the longest.  So, regardless, seriously unlikely.  I would assume that cutting Wilson, and the timing thereof, was already factored in, as we've all expected it since he was benched.

Hmm, Seattle seems to have released their two starting safeties, Diggs and Adams.  There'd been lots of noise about Adams being a cap-room casualty, but Diggs is a bit of a surprise.

Story on NFL.com points out Diggs' production dropped a fair bit.  And while he's not necessarily old...was wear and tear an issue?  

Also, Diggs was the 10th highest paid safety in the league.  It's not very likely his performance will improve...so is he still worth it?  There's a longstanding debate about how long you hold onto players.  QUITE often, IMO, the answer's "too long."  It's the rose-colored glasses effect of looking in the rear view mirror...of what he did.  But what he did, may not be what he can do now.

Last, safety is becoming something of a lower-valued position:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/safety/

In the second, note how fast safety salaries drop.

(Side note to my point above.  MLB Network did a list of the top 100 players in baseball.  Clayton Kershaw's not on the list...and Greg Amsinger *ranted* that was ridiculous!!!  Yeah, he's a sure-fire HoFer...should be no-doubt first ballot.  So what?  He's not that pitcher now.  Rodgers was another;  IMO the Packers should've moved on from him 2 years before they did...and that's a pattern that's far more common.)

Whoa............................

Wow.  

That is awful.  Even if there's no amputations, man...the medical bills, the long-term consequences?  That really bites for them.

I hope that this is noted...not to scare fans to keep them away, but to tell them, make DARN!!! sure you're prepared, and respect the cold!!  The TV clip showed that one hand...and man...stomach-turning.  Probably gonna have to lose 2 fingers.