NFL 2023

unclevlad

Arrest warrant filed against Rashee Rice.  Aggravated assault and collision involving serious bodily injury are the 2 major charges...2nd and 3rd degree felonies.

Chiefs haven't cut him yet, but it's inevitable, and most likely sooner, rather than later.  Contract voids for cause, too, so forget any unpaid money, guaranteed or not.  

2nd and 3rd degree felonies (along with 6 lesser "collision involving injury" charges)...he's slated for a significant amount of jail time.

I always feel a bit sorry for rich, dumb, and young...that lose it in a single moment of abject stupidity.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a story in The Athletic today about the draft, and the draft process.

Great line:

“The draft is an absolute petri dish for every cognitive bias underneath the sun,” Gera said.

Big points:

--The treasured No. 1 pick in the draft is actually the least valuable in the first round, according to the surplus value a team can create with each pick.
--Across all rounds, the probability that a player starts more games than the next player chosen at his position is just 53 percent.
--Teams generated a 174 percent return on trades by forgoing a pick this year for picks next year.

This is something I fully believe:

“The problem for everyone in sports is that nobody wants to admit how random and arbitrary it is,” the former executive said. “Admitting that it’s arbitrary takes away from your specific abilities.”

The latter part of the article discusses why the draft process is derailed so much...and bad picks made.

The comments are amusing, too.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Wow, that's confusing.  I wonder if they play Carolina this season...

It is just an alternate, and apparently market research indicated that the fans really loved this look back in the day, but still...how many black and lightish blue cat teams can one league reasonably support?

45 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It is just an alternate, and apparently market research indicated that the fans really loved this look back in the day, but still...how many black and lightish blue cat teams can one league reasonably support?

Looks like we're gonna find out.  Maybe we can switch the Bengals over to blue too, it'd be an improvement.  :)

City Connect unis are being used in MLB this evening.

LOTS of cases where the City Connect colors are totally dissociated with the team's regular colors.

It's all about selling more jerseys...so right now?  They think there's no limit.  The more, the merrier.  Team identity be damned, they want a 2% increase in sales!!!!

I've seen a lot of opinion pieces on social media about how the Broncos may be or should be trading up to take JJ.

To every one of these, without fail, I remind folks that the last two quarterbacks the Broncos traded up to get were Paxton Lynch and Tim Tebow.

I have precisely zero faith in the Donkeys fixing their quarterback situation through the draft. As I have commented before, the best quarterback the Broncos have ever drafted is probably Jay Cutler.

If the Broncos can pick up Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler in the third round, that's probably the best situation. They can spend their first round pick on an area of greater need. And yes, there are areas of greater need for the Broncos right now than quarterback, strange as it sounds.

55 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I have precisely zero faith in the Donkeys fixing their quarterback situation through the draft. As I have commented before, the best quarterback the Broncos have ever drafted is probably Jay Cutler.

I'll go a step further.  I'm strongly with The Athletic's article that trading up is a VERY, VERY bad strategy.  Particularly when there's still plenty of holes to patch.  When you have excess draft capital, well, maybe...but Denver doesn't.  

You're bashing Denver for their QB drafts, which have been...less than successful.  However, how many of those were Elway picks?  

Most draft watchers think there are no true first round quality QBs after the top 3 go off the board, which dovetails with what you say.  WAIT, get someone in the 3rd and see what you can make out of him.

We both know, tho, that fans won't be happy with that approach.

The good news, as far as I'm concerned, there's 3 playoff games on Thursday night.  PLENTY of distraction to avoid the incessant on-air bloviations, given that they have to fill so much time with nothing going on.