Attacking at the beginning of a phase

sevrick

I have been away for a few days- suprise company-

But when this thread got rolling, there were things I wanted to say, but at this point Hugh and Simon have hit on the biggies.

My own experience with it (yes; I have toyed with it) is that affects those od us who run map-heavy games the most; Mind'a Eye Theater types won't see a lot of difference between, as Hugh rightly pointed out- this, or holding and aborting.

Map- heavy gamers (like myself, and I have always- and perhaps incorrectly- assumed Scott Ruggles) will see some interesting changes in tactics with regards to maneuveing and working range modifiers (as I see other folks have mentioned).

Does it break the game?

Guys, the official rules list what? Seven hundred options?  No; it doesn't really break the game.

What it _does_ do, if you aren't careful, is eliminate the penalty for Multipower, Multiform (if you use that) and Duplication.  By that I mean that these power constructs all get deep discounts (some cheaper than others) because of an implied disadvantage:  Bruce Banner can't lift lift a burning support beam off of himself, or bounce rocket fire off his chest.  Oopsie.

There is, if you simply declare "each of your phases has two half actions; use them as you will," to allow Zero-phase actions to occur 'whenever.'  So now you can tofgle your form eight times in a Phase, and allocate your MP points at will.

_this_ is what you nees to avoid.  If you declare that allocations / toggles are Zero-phase actions and must be declare at the start of the Phase, period, then it really,doesn't make much difference in actual play (if you don't do a lot of mapping).  Otherwise, as Simon pointed out, there is no real drawback or sacrifice to the most common build strategies.

Yes; corner cases can be found.  Corner cases can _always_ be found, and for pretty much any topic.  However, I am willing to bet that _none_ of us have ever participated in any game composed entirely of corner cases, or run into a significant corner case that we couldnt adjudicate in the moment.

Edited by Duke Bushido

Our table has allowed attacking as a half phase to be anywhere in your movement for decades. It has never broken the game and let's characters take advantage of cover. 

We have however also house ruled Frameworks can only be changed before attacks,  not after.