Grabbed Cape

Steve

I figure that kind of thing goes under special effect.  Grond does a grab maneuver, and gets something: On The Mighty Sampson, he grabs hair.  On Cape Girl he grabs cape.  If you really wanted to you could build the character with like a -1 DCV vs grab maneuvers (hero form only for Cape Girl).

This might be a good movie trope, but it doesn't translate well to HERO.

You are essentially penalizing some SFX but how do you make consistent rulings? What exact length of hair triggers the penalty? Why wouldn't capes be like tear-away football jerseys? What about horns, tails or body spikes?

If you use this on a PC, do they now get a Physical Limitation? You're imposing one as GM that the player did not present to you in character creation. How many of your NPC's will have that Limitation? Are you going to be constantly opposing anime girls or the Dora Milaje?

If you really feel this should be in your game, then purchase some Limited Skill Levels with Grab that only apply vs targets with the given handholds. Then describe the results cinematically.

Edited by Grailknight

Honestly, I have difficulty believing that any superhero who engages in hand-to-hand or flies through obstacle-laden environments on a regular basis wouldn't design their cape to tear away easily. Or not wear a cape, of course.

Now that I'm playing CoH again, all of my caped characters have brooch/pin fasteners, rather than the obvious choking hazard that is the full mantle. 

Gotta agree with the others; you shouldn't be penalized for looking cool. This is the opposite of the question but a PC has a +2DCV, Act 11-, OAF-Cape, because it's harder to hit him due to the cape.