Superhero Showdown #11: Justice Society of America v. The Avengers

Guest Hunter1

Guest Hunter1

The Justice Society of America: some of the members include Dr. Fate, Dr. Mid-Nite, Capt. Marvel, Power Girl, Hour Man, Mr. Terrific, Star Girl, Wild Cat, Hawkman, and Hawk Girl.

The Avengers: some of the members include Capt. America, Hawkeye, She-Hulk, The Wasp, Giant Man, Jack of Hearts, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, the Falcon, and Thor.

I know that the list of heroes on both teams is constantly changing, but pick the ones that you like for the battle.

Who wins? Once again, it depends on which team shows up. As far as power goes, I would give it to the Justice Society. However, I could see the Avengers taking it due to Capt. America's skill as a tactician. It would be an amazing battle, better than the recent JLA v. Avengers comics.

Let's imagine this matchup of JSA v. Avengers..

Mr. Terrific v. Captain America

Captain Marvel v. Thor

Green Arrow v. Hawkeye

Hawk Girl v. Falcon

Sentinel v. Jack of Hearts

Power Girl v. She-Hulk

Atom Smasher v. Hercules

Dr. Fate v. Scarlet Witch

Black Canary v. Black Panther

How do you see this one going down?

Guest Hunter1

Capt. America beats Mr. Terrific

Thor beats Capt. Marvel

Hawkeye beats Green Arrow

Hawk Girl beats Falcon

Sentinel beats Jack of Hearts

Power Girl beats She-Hulk

Hercules beats Atom Smasher

Dr. Fate beats Scarlet Witch

Black Panther beats Black Canary

That leaves Capt. Amerca, Thor, Hercules, Hawkeye and Black Panther v. Hawk Girl, Sentinel, Power Girl and Dr. Fate.

Sentinel beats Hawkeye and Black Panther

Capt. America beats Hawk Girl

Thor beats Power Girl

Dr. Fate beats Hercules

That leaves Sentinel and Dr. Fate v. Thor and Capt. America

Dr. Fate beats Thor

Capt. America beats Sentinel

It ends with Capt. America v. Dr. Fate...

I would give it to Capt. America, because he would find a way to win. Maybe he removes Dr. Fate's helmet? I think I am too bias to give an accurate description...

JSA all the way. I also think a few of the newer members get short shift when these comparisons occur. Also, the arguable deal-breaking character and member of like every JSA, the Flash, didn't get mentioned. He alone would mess up scores of folk. Marvel just isn't used to guys that fast.

So...making a small substitution in Hunter1's team-ups...

Hawkeye vs. The Flash...man, that's not even close. Sure, clint can take out Speed Demon, but this is just a whole new level of hurt.

Whish then leaves Sentinel or Flash on Black Panther with the other free to assist someone else. At that point, to me at least, it;s pretty darn academic.

As an aside, I don't think the "common" Thor could take Captain Marvel, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Originally posted by Hunter1

T

Capt. America beats Sentinel

No way in he.... uh heck. Sentinal is the original green lantern, fought in WW2, and didn't have a nice little ice nap there. He has the experience that Cap has and then some, and, especially in recent times, is the hero that Superman talks to as a mentor. His powerlevel has gone up over the years. As much as I love Cap (and he is my favorite Avenger) I give this one to Sentinel.

I could give the other fight to Thor, then Sentinel kicks Thor's butt.

Personally,I'd think Captain America could take out Green Lantern ( when he took back his power from Mordru near the end of The Princes Of Darkness story arc,it manifested itself as a power ring,so he called himself Green Lantern again) IF he observed Alan Scott's vulnerability to wood.Otherwise Green Lantern would win.

Personally,I also think that Doctor Fate (if this is the Hector Hall version) could beat the entire Avengers singlehanded.After all,every time he's fought Mordru,that Lord of Chaos has eventually lost-and that lunatic's usually taken on the entire LSH singlehandedly!

Remember that in JLA/Avengers Captain America was pitted against Batman,and it was a very close fight,that only ended when Captain America and Batman realized that it made more sense to team up than to indulge in a pointless brawl.

Therefore it seems that both characters fill similar functions in their home universes,including the old "hero who seems less powerful than the rest of the team,but who is virtually unbeatable when the plot requires it."

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Therefore it seems that both characters fill similar functions in their home universes,including the old "hero who seems less powerful than the rest of the team,but who is virtually unbeatable when the plot requires it."

I'll second this. Both characters are related to the "Indomitable Human Spirit" even more so than most other heroes they team with.

The JSA wins over the Avenger. Story writing aside, without the JSA there would be no superteams. The JSA was power incarnate. Doctor Fate and the Spectre in the 40's were more or less gods, and while Thor and Hercules are gods, when the former fought the cosmos shuddered. The Superman of their era was weaker than today, and Green Lantern had an easily explotable weakness were stll extremely powerful, and Starman was a major hitter with no real weakness, Wonder Woman was Stronger in some aspects and weaker in others, but overall the same tough opponet. Mr. Terrific, Doctor Midnight and the Sandman are rank and file. NOw Jonny Thunder was a wild card because he was unaware that the thunderbolt was a sentient thing and did not always direct it effectively.

In the end the JSA would win but they would walk away bloody, the Avengers have more members and very little dead weight. But as I said the JSA's heavy hitters outstrip the Avengers. I can't say anything about the modern JSA, I don't know them.

I don't think the Avengers have any chance at all. First of all, Jay, moving at light speed could easily put down the most fragile Avengers, namely, all without a bulk body or totally covered by Armour or Damage Resistance: Wasp (if not flying too high), Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and even Captain America, who cannot fight something in a speed out of his time of reaction scale. Hercules can easily take care of most of the non-flying JSA members, while Iron Man may have some difficulties facing Power Girl and the other flying lady, eventually winning. Thor would suffer, but, after a long fight, would win Capitain Marvel. Although I think the Captain is stronger and faster, I think that Thor superior tenacity and warrior spirity would eventually give him the day.

Then there is Dr. Fate... JSA wins.

Originally posted by Ron

Thor would suffer, but, after a long fight, would win Capitain Marvel. Although I think the Captain is stronger and faster, I think that Thor superior tenacity and warrior spirity would eventually give him the day.

Cap beat Thor in DC vs Marvel a few years ago...amazing what magic lightning can do...

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Personally,I also think that Doctor Fate (if this is the Hector Hall version) could beat the entire Avengers singlehanded.After all,every time he's fought Mordru,that Lord of Chaos has eventually lost-and that lunatic's usually taken on the entire LSH singlehandedly!

But the Mordru who fought the LSH has 1,000 years of extra xp...

Aren't these comparisons fun :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Cap beat Thor in DC vs Marvel a few years ago...amazing what magic lightning can do...

Are you sure? I recall that Thor used his ligthning control to activate Caps transformation in Billy Baxton and finish the duel. Still, I might be wrong, those DC-Marvel crossover stories were really bad and I forgot most of it.

Anyway, I wrote what would be the result if I was writing the book, based in my own interpretation of the characters, which varies wildly from writer to writer.