Hero from the original Champions cover

TechnoViking

Has the hero from original Champions cover (as seeen in my avatar) ever be named? I know the villian is now Holocaust, but I was curious about the hero.

For those of you who have never seen the cover, he is a hero in blue and gray with a upside-down star on his chest. He apparently has energy fists, large ammount of ED, and knockback resistance.

Mike

Re: Hero from the original Champions cover

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

For those of you who have never seen the cover, he is a hero in blue and gray with a upside-down star on his chest. He apparently has energy fists, large ammount of ED, and knockback resistance.

Hey Mike, you wouldn't happen to have an example to look at would you. :D

no idea myself

IIRC the original Adventurer's Club contest to name and write up that villain (who also appeared on the first cover of Enemies btw) was only for the villain; I don't think the hero was considered.

To the best of my recollection that hero has never been reproduced or even referred to in any official Champions product, and I feel pretty confident in saying I've seen all of them.

I honestly think he's "Fill in your hero here" guy. The costume is highly generic. The figures on the back I believe are actual characters in the book, whereas the front was sort of "generic hero v. generic villain".

Only Mark Williams (artist), Steve Peterson, or George MacDonald know for sure.

I honestly don't remember what year we got the book (Coulda been anywhere '81 to '83). The inside has an '81 copyright, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's when it was published. It could be a 1st ed or a 2nd.

Anyway, the character on the cover greatly resembles this OTHER Williams work from inside the book. I'm guessing they are different versions of the same character.

attachment.php?s=&postid=209222

Originally posted by BNakagawa

Based on the company he keeps (you'd have to see the back cover) I'm guessing it's IceStar.

(pictured on the back cover are Gargoyle, Mind Maid and Force) Marksman and Mercenary are not pictured.

Those are all the characters listed in the 1st edition dedication.

$0.02

That would certainly make sense, from what I've heard Icestar was the original Champions character.

(BTW, what is it about ice powers? I must have had four or five new players that as soon as I ask what kind of character they want to build the say "Like Iceman, with . . . ." Iceman was always my least favorite X-Man, but I seem to be alone on this.)

While not my favorite X-men, I liked Ice-man much more than I did Cyclops. Note that all of my X-men references will be prior to 1988. I collected comics between 1984-1988.

Cyclops was a pansy and AFAIC he will always be a pansy. Back when I was reading the comics I always wished Wolverine would just gut Cyke.

Back on topic, I remember the old picture but I don't know who the hero is.

Originally posted by McCoy

Iceman was always my least favorite X-Man, but I seem to be alone on this.)

Originally posted by McCoy

(BTW, what is it about ice powers? I must have had four or five new players that as soon as I ask what kind of character they want to build the say "Like Iceman, with . . . ." Iceman was always my least favorite X-Man, but I seem to be alone on this.)

Iceman has a very broad group of power stunts with his ice powers. Many of the other characters were one dimensional in power stunt design. Iceman had many things he could do with the ice, unlike most of the other characters who were limited to being able to only do 1-3 things with their powers.

Icestar was Glenn Thain's character if I recall correctly. He was, well he nearly cross the line between being gross and being dead.

I seem to remember his costume had more head covering. This could be wrong, I'm working on 20 year old memories.

Icestar makes more sense than Crusader. Good catch BN.