Hero from the original Champions cover

TechnoViking

It don't think it was Icestar (wrong colors, wrong hair color, etc). That character also did appear in the very original Champs Miniatures sets (if you used the proper arms and head, etc). I believe he was just a generic anyhero.

Mark was a nice guy. He did art for a local comic shop to use as posters (lots of Titans/X-Men crossovers) and often sold the originals of Champs art at local cons. In fact, I think he delivered my Doc Destroyer adventure personally at that comic shop. hehe

Glen was Icestar's player, yes (and even had an Icestar t-shirt). This was long before you could just get any design on a shirt cheap and easy.

I think the Turners (?) may have been the firsties, though (Speed & It)

Damn, I'm old.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Man, how many of us Hero Boarders actually met some of the original or current staffers? I am so jealous. Its like meeting a fave rock star or something similar.

I definately need to start going to the CONs

Quite a few based on the answers to when people started playing Hero. I was on better terms with the folk from Hero Software.

Sad to hear, didn't know about him. Reminds me of a very close friend of my wife's who died of meningitis that was a complication from an untreated flu that turned into pneumonia. He also essentially worked himself to death, putting off treatment until it was too late, as he was responsible for a local free paper and sort of a one-man team at that point. :(

Originally posted by Acroyear

They used to play at the same rec center I did way, way back when (er, early/mid-80's) and the same comic shop (some of 'em, at least?). I was just in my teens, then. Some of you may recall me pestering the prior Steve about those days on the old boards.

Lucky so and so... grumble...

I have used my own versions of the Guardians in my campaigns simply based on names and the spot art from the early books and the maligned/loved Champions comics....

Would love to see an "Official Version" some day.

Originally posted by BNakagawa

I first met Glen, Bruce and Tom (IceStar, Marksman and Rose) at the Beresford Rec Center. Either that or one of the local conventions. It's so long ago I've forgotton.

You probably have met me and some of the core members of my group at Beresford, too, then :)

Re: Hero from the original Champions cover

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

Has the hero from original Champions cover (as seeen in my avatar) ever be named? I know the villian is now Holocaust, but I was curious about the hero.

For those of you who have never seen the cover, he is a hero in blue and gray with a upside-down star on his chest. He apparently has energy fists, large ammount of ED, and knockback resistance.

Mike

:cool: I would call him Magnoman, but his insignia reminds me of Icestar so it would be a early version of our fave ice slinging hero.

Originally posted by Acroyear

You probably have met me and some of the core members of my group at Beresford, too, then :)

Maybe, maybe not. Don't remember anyone named Acroyear, though...

I played a very little in the D&D campaign being run by J Dauser, more of the various champions campaigns run more often than not by B T Tumey. I think I played a little car wars and probably some other stuff but I don't remember any of it very clearly.

It's all pretty much a blur, really. I remember Sniper's first game as a PC was there (he started life as a dnpc). Sniper was a PC who mainatined a 2+ body suffered/experience gained ratio over much of his career.

Who/what did you play there?

Perhaps thi s would go better under the 'Pet Peeves' thread in the NGD forum, but:

"In March of 1998 Mark was diagnosed with an advanced stage of testicular cancer. He later admitted he had felt the lump three or four years earlier but had put off seeking treatment due to his chronic unemployment and lack of health insurance. "

God D*mn us for making a nation so excellent at producing wealth, but so poor at providing health care in that nation. :(

Originally posted by SCUBA Hero

Perhaps thi s would go better under the 'Pet Peeves' thread in the NGD forum, but:

"In March of 1998 Mark was diagnosed with an advanced stage of testicular cancer. He later admitted he had felt the lump three or four years earlier but had put off seeking treatment due to his chronic unemployment and lack of health insurance. "

God D*mn us for making a nation so excellent at producing wealth, but so poor at providing health care in that nation. :(

That's not a Pet Peeve, that's a tragedy.:mad:

This Just In

Newsflash: If you go to the emergency room, and you need health care, they give it to you. Free of charge-- to you. Doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, or whether you need an aspirin or open heart surgery.

Don't bother thanking me, I really like paying for someone else's health care.

health care

Now that we're completely off thread.

I'd just like to add that treatment options are available. It's tragic that Mark did not seek help sooner. My mother, R.I.P., did a similar thing(she was afraid of doctors)and avoided treatment. The resulting breast cancer eventually claimed her life.

During treatment, she was required to take this drug, NO I don't know the name, it was kept in the refrigerator and she had to take it once a week. She was GIVEN one dose per week from her doctor. I came to find out later the medication was $1800 a DOSE. There are options, for anyone, regardless the price.

The important thing is detection. I will always feel a loss without my mother and Mark Williams was a tradegy, but the truth is that they could have been helped sooner, if they had taken responsibility for their own health.

Oh, and one other note, if I ever win the Lottery, I AM STARTING a Cancer foundation in my mother's memory.

O.K. I'm climbing off the soapbox now............