Cool Star Hero Software!

Derek Hiemforth

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.........

I just checked out the software, and I LOVED it. What used to take me a week or two now only takes me about 1 minute or less. Too bad I'm out of ink...:(

After all my efforts in keeping my FLGS on the ball to order my copy of SH, the only thing really keeping me from getting my game up and running was sector design.

Any chance the updated version has an adjustment for Hard SF versus Space Opera/ Rubber Science settings?

I've played around with the program, and I am in love! It was so easy, and when I've finished the current campaign I'm running, I'm seriously thinking of doing something using Star Hero. I haven't decided yet exactly what. There's enough info generated that I can use Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy to generate maps of the planets, and then I can import them into Campaign Cartographer 2 to detail them as needed.

Hee hee hee... This is going to be a lot of fun...

And just wait until they release Campaign Cartographer: Space. That will also be a big help for SH mapping. We came along a bit too late for ProFantasy to do what Richard Frey did -- build in a random sector generator using the SH rules -- but the CC: Space should complement SH nicely.

Originally posted by Steve Long

And just wait until they release Campaign Cartographer: Space. That will also be a big help for SH mapping. We came along a bit too late for ProFantasy to do what Richard Frey did -- build in a random sector generator using the SH rules -- but the CC: Space should complement SH nicely.

Yup. That program/add-on is definitely on my list of stuff to buy when it comes out.

Re: Hey, waitaminnit!

Originally posted by Grymlynn

CC: Space?! When did this happen? What will it do?!

New thing they're working on at PF. Here's a quote I've found from the CC2 mailing lst:

"CC2 Space (which is currently called "Cosmographer") is progressing well. Ian's part is now a very sophisticated star and planetary mapper, and the rest (deckplan mapping etc) is on its way. I suspect that Perspectives will be out first. We are hoping for a week of solid programming from Peter

Olsson towards the end of March, so expect a flurry of activity then."

And this:

"We are discussing the transfer of data from CC-Space to FT in such a way as the CC-Space parameters will produce the same results in FT every time. This still presents the problem of what to do with worlds that have already been mapped in Traveller publications - some form of editor will be put together to allow this, but I can foresee problems occurring

where the final output/map will not always match the Traveller-source map. When editing a map, CC-Space will have to do a lot of intermediary calculations to "fill in the gaps" that FT will require... Experimental, is the best I can say."

And here's the link to a screen shot:

http://www.farfuture.net/n0003.html

Apparently the program has evolved significantly enough that this screen shot is considered "old".

There's a lot more info about the program scattered through the mailing list.

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

Software! I was expecting wetware. What tech level is this?

Ummmm..... This is not a game construct. ProFantasy is a company that makes mapping software. Here's their web site: http://www.profantasy.com

They haven't given out a whole heck of a lot in the way of details, but I suspect that the program will be able to accomodate just about any level of tech that a GM desires to have in his or her game.

Originally posted by Steve Long

We just got an updated version of the software that I forwarded to Ben, which should be available soon.

Will it make links from the index page to the individual pages with BACK SLASHES NOT FORWARD SLASHES?!!??

It's real irritating to hit a link in a on-disc page and have nothing happens, simply because someone forgot the way paths are written out. :(:rolleyes:

Originally posted by BasilDrag

Will it make links from the index page to the individual pages with BACK SLASHES NOT FORWARD SLASHES?!!??

It's real irritating to hit a link in a on-disc page and have nothing happens, simply because someone forgot the way paths are written out. :(:rolleyes:

There must be something misconfigured on your system. It works fine for me.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BasilDrag

It's real irritating to hit a link in a on-disc page and have nothing happens, simply because someone forgot the way paths are written out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There must be something misconfigured on your system. It works fine for me.

Hmmm... Odd; it's working now. Must have been my browser being picky or something.

{mode: Emily Latela}

Never mind

{/mode}

--

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain. -- Mark Twain

Re: Re: Hey, waitaminnit!

Well, this is entirely too cool!

Originally posted by EvilGM

New thing they're working on at PF. Here's a quote I've found from the CC2 mailing lst:

"CC2 Space (which is currently called "Cosmographer") is progressing well. Ian's part is now a very sophisticated star and planetary mapper, and the rest (deckplan mapping etc) is on its way. I suspect that Perspectives will be out first. We are hoping for a week of solid programming from Peter

Olsson towards the end of March, so expect a flurry of activity then."

And this:

"We are discussing the transfer of data from CC-Space to FT in such a way as the CC-Space parameters will produce the same results in FT every time. This still presents the problem of what to do with worlds that have already been mapped in Traveller publications - some form of editor will be put together to allow this, but I can foresee problems occurring

where the final output/map will not always match the Traveller-source map. When editing a map, CC-Space will have to do a lot of intermediary calculations to "fill in the gaps" that FT will require... Experimental, is the best I can say."

And here's the link to a screen shot:

http://www.farfuture.net/n0003.html

Apparently the program has evolved significantly enough that this screen shot is considered "old".

There's a lot more info about the program scattered through the mailing list.

• 4 months later...

You must unzip the entire SectorGenerator.zip file. The program does not create the systems folder, the systems folder already exists in the zip file. When you extract, select extract all.

You can also create the systems folder by yourself if it doesn't extract from the zip file

• 3 weeks later...
Is it just me, or does this program make a lot of binary stars with a lot of tidally locked planets?

Statisticly, around 50% of the systems will be binary. All moons closer than 10 planetary radii to its respective planet are tidally locked, and any planet closer than 0.3 AU to its respective star is tidally locked. And of course, any planet that gets the random rotational anomoly "Tidally Locked" will be titally locked.