I need help with a name (for a super team)

Richard Logue

I don't run the standard Champions Universe. I've made my own and I use the published one as a back up/alternate universe type thing. Anyway, that's not really important here.

In my setting, I have a corporation, watched over by the UN Security Council, whose job it is to house criminal supers. The corporation is called Prometheus and they currently have two facilities: the Alcatraz Metahuman Containment Facility ("the Rock"), and the Gibralter MCF ("the Tower").

As can be guessed at, the prison at Alcatraz mostly boards super-criminals from the Americas, while the Gibralter facility covers the rest of the world. (The Russians and the Chinese, by the way, have their own methods of incarceration and don't make much use of the Prometheus units.)

Each facility has a staff of agent-level guards with special equipment. But each prison also has a response team of supers that deploy to where a meta-criminal has been captured or detained to retrieve him. And that's where I am needing a little bit of help.

I need names for the two super teams employed by Prometheus. Something corporate sounding, perhaps something pulled out of Greek mythology. Names like Sentinels and Guards and Watchmen flash through my mind, but they don't invoke feelings of groovy in me.

So, if any of you out there have a suggestion or two, I'd appreciate you throwing them at me.

Thanks in advance :)

Alcatraz , Gibralter, both bring Rock to mind.

Just as the RCMP is informally know as the Mounties, whatever the official name they might both be know as the Rockies (inviting Bulwinkle jokes from their opponents).

The Rock. The Tower. I'm seeing somethink like a chess rook. A rook is also a bird, travels in large flocks, something like a raven or crow. I'm seeing a badge, white chess rook surmounted by black bird, Team name the Rock Rooks.

The official superhero team in the Savage Dragon's world is the S.O.S.- Special Operations Strikeforce. May be appropriate here. Or you could call them the North American Guard and the World Guard. Or FORCE Team 1 and 2. But I can't recall what I had FORCE stand for. I think the F was "Federal" so it may be a moot issue. You may think about calling them SWORD teams. Special Weapons and Ordinance Recovery Division... or whatever.

Originally posted by Haven Walkur

How about the Hekatonchires (hek-ah-ton-KY-rees), after the hundred-handed giants of Greek myth, who guard the captive Titans in hell?

Good idea, but I can imagine people would joke about them being the "Howtheheckdoisaythis".

Prometheus was chained to a rock for all eternity (in theory), as a punishment. I'm not sure if that's where Richard got his idea of calling the group Prometheus from.

Each day, an eagle came and tore out the Titan's liver, which would then grow back, so he could go through it every day.

This suggests "The Eagles" as the team that supervises Alcatraz. This suggests vigilance (eagle-eyed) and they are there to ensure that the punsishment meted out goes ahead. It could also be the "Eagles of Zeus".

It's just occurred to me that they might have earned a derisory nickname of "The Birdmen of Alcatraz". Nice if you like to build these little quirks into your campaign world.

They could also be the Chain Gang, symbolising (again) punishment, although that makes them sound like criminals.

Prometheus had foresight, so maybe something like "Watchmen" would be appropriate, or possibly "Foresight".

The mountain he was chained to was supposed to have been in the Caucusus Mountains. I wouldn't go for "The Caucasians" (possible racist overtones), but simply "Caucusus" might be OK.

As to the Gibraltar facility, Prometheus was eventually freed by Heracles/Hercules (at Zeus's instruction). Gibraltar is sometimes referred to as one of the Pillars of Hercules, so how about "The Pillars", suggesting strength and support?

In the UK, "pillock" is a term of abuse, so again, the naming strategy might have backfired among the criminal element in Europe.

Prometheus is also known for bringing man to life and giving mankind fire for heat, cooking and light. So the guards might also be the Firemen, the Firewatchers, the Lighthouse, the Torchbearers, all suggesting protection/vigilance.

If you want to be really sneaky, don't forget that Lucifer means something like "the light-bearer" and that the Illuminati are the "illuminated ones". Depends if you like conspiracies!

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Good idea, but I can imagine people would joke about them being the "Howtheheckdoisaythis".

Prometheus was chained to a rock for all eternity (in theory), as a punishment. I'm not sure if that's where Richard got his idea of calling the group Prometheus from.

Each day, an eagle came and tore out the Titan's liver, which would then grow back, so he could go through it every day.

This suggests "The Eagles" as the team that supervises Alcatraz. This suggests vigilance (eagle-eyed) and they are there to ensure that the punsishment meted out goes ahead. It could also be the "Eagles of Zeus".

It's just occurred to me that they might have earned a derisory nickname of "The Birdmen of Alcatraz". Nice if you like to build these little quirks into your campaign world.

They could also be the Chain Gang, symbolising (again) punishment, although that makes them sound like criminals.

Prometheus had foresight, so maybe something like "Watchmen" would be appropriate, or possibly "Foresight".

The mountain he was chained to was supposed to have been in the Caucusus Mountains. I wouldn't go for "The Caucasians" (possible racist overtones), but simply "Caucusus" might be OK.

As to the Gibraltar facility, Prometheus was eventually freed by Heracles/Hercules (at Zeus's instruction). Gibraltar is sometimes referred to as one of the Pillars of Hercules, so how about "The Pillars", suggesting strength and support?

In the UK, "pillock" is a term of abuse, so again, the naming strategy might have backfired among the criminal element in Europe.

Prometheus is also known for bringing man to life and giving mankind fire for heat, cooking and light. So the guards might also be the Firemen, the Firewatchers, the Lighthouse, the Torchbearers, all suggesting protection/vigilance.

If you want to be really sneaky, don't forget that Lucifer means something like "the light-bearer" and that the Illuminati are the "illuminated ones". Depends if you like conspiracies!

I could swear I've read variants of the story that has buzzards torturing Prometheus.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Alcatraz is a corruption of a Spanish word, meaning (sources differ) "pelican" or "pelican island." If the superguards take any kind of a bird themed name, I would not be suprised if they were referred to as The Pelicans.

Haven Walkur. you're welcome, and thanks again.

Hmmm. You know, it is pretty tough to come up with something both Corporate and Mythical Greek in tone. Here are a few ideas, though:

TITANS, Inc.

Enforcers, Inc. (Basic, but I think it works.)

Bounty Hunters, Incorporated (Also basic, but I like it, myself.)

MINERVA

Acronym:

Meta-Human

Interdiction &

Neutralization

Emergency

Response

Vector

America

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Originally posted by Agent X

I could swear I've read variants of the story that has buzzards torturing Prometheus.

Blame the translators. I've heard hawks, vultures, eagles, ravens, and seagulls.

I would say name each team (or each member) after a differnt bird, all of them being of the meat eating variety (No dove).

You could also use:

"The Furies"

"The Harpies"

"The Argonauts"

the Titan Guard.

I want to thank everyone who participated here, and so I will. Thanks. :)

From a couple different ideas posted, I think I've decided on calling them the Titan Guard. Specifically, they'd be referred to as Titan Guard: Alcatraz, and Titan Guard: Gibraltar. Not quite accurately, they may be simply referred to as "the Titans" by other heroes and villains or the media.

I also like the Furies and I will probably refer to the agent-level guards by that name. They might be equipped with "Fury" armor or something.

The bird ideas and references are good for many reasons and I'll probably try to work them in in some way. Perhaps they can be used as slang names, or maybe code, or some such.

Opinions?

Now to come up with a logo for Prometheus Corporation, uniform designs, and (at least) the character concepts for both teams' personnel....

Originally posted by Agent X

I recall someone being punished in Hades by something very similar to what Prometheus went through, but was attacked by buzzards.

It could be a variant/different translation you are thinking of, of course.