Let's empower your DNPCs

Hermit

What's that? Little Timmy has fallen down the Quantum well and gained super powers?

Does your character's girl friend look better in the costume than he does?

Did your nephew hit puberty and gain super strength?

Is your neice in those akward "suddenly I have mind control" years?

Has your faithful Bulter at last admited to you that he's finished his corespondence course for mastery of the mystic arts and is ready to fight the forces infernal?

What would your character's DNPCs be like with super powers? What sort of powers would fit them?

And would your character have an anxiety attack dealing with it?

The closest that Adonis has to a DNPC is Ricky. Ricky was Adon's first and best friend. Unfortunately, Ricky has grown up to be a major scene queen and party boy. Getting super powers would either be a very good thing or a very bad thing. Getting powers might just inspire Ricky to get his life together, or it could be just the thing to put a super powered pawn under someone's thumb. Particularly if you went with a Telios provides him with a "Miraculo" pill a la the Golden Age Hourman.

Starguard -- doesn't have DNPCs. Only her Power Cosmic prevents her from /being/ one. :)

Baron von Darien -- ah, so his loyal secretary is now an adept of the mystic arts? Excellent. Do you choose to willingly fight the horrors of the Dark, in a lifestyle that will guarantee you a lifetime of deadly danger, great pain, exhaustion, fear, stress, alienation, loneliness, and frustration, for little enough reward and no true appreciation?

No? You'd rather not?

I can't say that I blame you. Now take a letter, please...

Dr. Pain -- doesn't have DNPCs either. He does have a contact, but that's his agent... the best sports agent in the business, and has been for years. Hmmm, maybe that guy /already/ has powers... ;)

Way back when I first started playing CHampions, my friend had a speedster named "Slammer". His schtick was that he had one of those Force fields that got stronger when he ran faster, so he literally just slammed into things to take them out. He was a raging alcoholic and had some other vulnerabilities and a bunch of hunteds. But the best was his DNPC.

Grandma. An incompetant that showed up on a 14-. She was wheelchair ridden and had no idea that the "nice young man" pushing her around was actually the local nest leader, suppervillain, what have you. My friend became so enamored with Grandma, that instead of buying down her frequency as he got XP, he pumped it all into her effectiveness and told the GM to just go wild with it. Next time Grandma showed up, she was in a completely powered wheel chair with a quad-rack of 30 call MG's and side mounted surface to air missiles...

Mayday's DNPC is her grandfather and only living relative. She knows that he must have been in WWII of course but can't picture him as anything other than the wine grower he is.

She'd be surprised and a little shocked to learn that he was in fact a superhero of the french Resistance who later assisted in the Pacific Theatre, the Madagascar conflict of 1947, Korean War, Morocco conflict of 1953, Algeria in 1954, Tunisia in 1952 and 1961 when he retired full time and that it is because of him that she has mutant powers. She'd look up every news story on him in those days and demand to hear all about EVERYTHING. (And be very glad that no, he wasnt a nazi sympathizer)

ShadowCross hates her husband, if he developed superpowers it would screw up his political ambitions to use them in crimefighting unless they were psi-based which he would definately use to his advantage. The two would have much more interesting fights at home though.

The Acrobat had a DNPC butler who THOUGHT he was a superhero. He got a few smoke grenades and some infra-red visors and took on the identity of Midnight Master. He beat up a few cheap hoods and got his name in the paper. This made him a target in the Great Supervillain Contest of yore, and brought hordes of villains after him for an easy win.

Acrobat and his team had their hands full protecting him while trying to figure out what the villains were up to. In the process Midnight Master became even more convinced of his abilities. He now considers himself a full-fledged hero and takes every opportunity to hang out with the "other" super-heroes. He makes it a point to meet every new hero who comes to town.

Checkmate's DNPCs are his wife, Laura - who wears a power suit to her 'day job' (she's an ex-team mate of his.) and his son, Denis, Jr. Also known as Control. Control has POWERS, whereas Checkmate is unbelievably intelligent (38 Int) and skilled, but otherwise human. He'd be the one people would be surprised to show up with actual powers.

Guardian's DNPCs (she has several) are mostly people with some form of power as it is. Her adopted daughter has bracers that are less powerful than Guardian's, but more versatile. One of her friends, Petey, is a schmoozer on the level of Face from the A-Team. Only her wife, Blakely, is actually normal. And Guardian would look at it pretty much as Blakely did. Especially if it meant she didn't have to worry about her strength anymore.

Control - See above. His DNPCs are his dad, Checkmate, his mom, an armour suit, and his girlfriend, a 1,200 year old Elven Sorceress/Princess.

I actually went with this one...

Greenmantle's fiancee, Jenny McColl - thrown from a second floor window and paralysed from the waist down as 'reprisal' for Jim Munro's drugs expose - commandeered an experimental power-armour suit when GM and the rest of the team were in serious difficulty. She took to the whole thing like the proverbial duck to water and was brought onto the team as Claymore; she even remained with the Crown Agents after GM broke the engagement and quit the team (and she's even still friends with Silvershadow, who was the other corner of the triangle).

Of my other players: MC Sonik's sister is a low-level meta and is already being watched by the Solution (my version of Project: Genocide). Occasional supporting character Alleycat - currently a normal teenaged girl with a nice line in acrobatic gymnastics and a few gizmos - already *knows* she's going to become some kind of felinoid at some point (an early use of time paradox in my campaign) and is quietly freaking out over it...

Being a multi-billionaire playboy and philanthropist, Daniel "Warp" Stone could potentially go out with any attactive female on the planet. So I had him get Dependent NPC: Current Girlfriend 8- (Up To Slightly Less Powerful, May have useful noncombat position or skills, Unaware of character's Secret Identity). After all, there's always the possiblity one might hook up with a superhuman, knowingly or unknowingly.

Currently he's interested in Cateran, whom he at one of the restaurants at his hotel during a robot attack. He is aware she's a meta, but only knows one of her aliases. She for now is playing the coy and mysterious type, but they seem to have hit it off.

DNPCs? Bah! There's enough innocent bystanders to protect without singling one of them out simply because you know them.

I suppose that some day Hummingbird may take on one especially bright student to be his protege in the world of the Science Hero, but then, it would be his desired result to see this student so empowered.

Old Nighthawk started out as a sidekick, and now has a sidekick and a law partner. But since he and the law partner work in a different part of the country from where Nighthawk does his adventuring, he's not really a DNPC. His sideick is sort of a DNPC but I built her as a follower since she's a budding crime-fighter herself- even if at this point she is more of a liability than a help.

• 3 weeks later...