Where is YOUR camapign?

Ghost Archer

"Well, we play in Northern Virginia (DC 'burbs), so we're Team NOVA, which seemed darn appropriate until I thought I saw a Nova team in the Champions book. I also saw somewhere a deeply disturbing reference to a character named "Tesseract", which until then I thought was an incredibly inventive and unique name for my character.

I too had a character named Tesseract, thought I was quite clever, and was subsequently disappointed when I saw the CKC character.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philly PA for me

Although I haven't been there in a decade plus, I use it as the base of my game since I spent some time in and around it while goin' to school. The geography is set around 1990 - back when no buildings could be higher than ol' William Penn - but the true time is current.

As I am out here in California, I figure that using a real city is something people can relate to (I found it on the map!) and if they ever go there, they can have fun (So here's Liberty Park. I kicked Poltergeist's ASS right here!). Meanwhile it is on the other coast so I won't have players saying "Why not use the Bart Station at Powell?" or "Mission and Castro don't cross!".

Let's see... in the campaign I'm in, we have one supergroup in downtown Los Angeles, one in the outskirts of New York state, one in heart of New York City - only 10 minutes away from Central Park, one in Chicago and finally, one in Santa Barbara. Wow, five supergroups and they're all being used - not too shabby.

Bloodshot and I run games in the fictional city of St. Augustine, Oregon. It is located where the real world Smith and Umpqua rivers meet (yes, those are real river names).

I have also run a pbem set in York, Ontario (Toronto by another name :).

The Vigilance League has been given a headquarters across the street from Central Park in New York City. But they can be found wherever danger threatens.

Of course, the current campaign year is 1938, so they might be a bit too old to play with the young'uns...

The Champions (our Champions, not Hero Games' Champions) operate out of NYC. The Guardians are based in Indianapolis. The FBI's Field Intelligence, Reconnaisance, and Enforcement (FIRE) Team is based in D.C. And our renegade heroes, Reaction Force, have a secret base tucked away in the Colorado Rockies, augmented by an alien ship in geosynchronous orbit.

The Guardians did set up shop in the top 5 floors of the Banc One Tower in downtown Indy, until numerous supervillain attacks convinced the city and the building's other tenants to basically throw them out (yeah I swiped the idea from the FF, but it made sense.) They've taken over an underground complex that was part of Ft. Benjamin Harrison, which the Army closed several years ago, on the NE side of Indy.

Re: Home

Originally posted by Mayday

although there was a superhero baseball minor leage team in Florida.

How awesome is that !?! I've thought about running a "day-off" scenario with one of our teams where they play baseball using their powers. Haven't worked it out yet, but I'm totally in love with the idea.

Originally posted by Mayday

although there was a superhero baseball minor leage team in Florida.

My campaign has an 'Unlimited Class' Wrestling Federation. It's for the Metahumans that haven't the firepower or desire to be 'heroes' or 'villains'. The storylines of the program are scripted, but the Metas can take bigger bumps. :D

Originally posted by MisterVimes

My campaign has an 'Unlimited Class' Wrestling Federation. It's for the Metahumans that haven't the firepower or desire to be 'heroes' or 'villains'. The storylines of the program are scripted, but the Metas can take bigger bumps. :D

Also a very cool idea, and one that makes sense; who's to say everybody who has powers would become a hero or villain?? Look at Spider-Man, at first he just wanted to make some quick and easy dough. Even when he went to join the FF he asked what the starting salary was.

I did run a Pay-Per-View event last year where two of our hero teams duked it out for charity. One thing the PCs love/hate about my team is that their wealthy benefactor requires them to make public appearances quite often. This was watched 'round the world, and crashed (natch) by supervillains. Vegas bookmakers were laying odds on the teams, and individuals. It was a hoot.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

My campaign has an 'Unlimited Class' Wrestling Federation.

At one time, I thought about demoing the Hero System at local cons (MonCon, ShoreCon) through a multiple-heat Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. You play a 350-point brick* and fight a number of matches until you're eliminated. Considering the number of people likely to show up, though, this could be unexpectedly labor-intensive. My idea was to have an actual belt made for the winner...

* My original idea was to use bricks from the Hero Universe; thus players could try Ironclad, someone can play Tachyon in disguise, etc. The problem was the lack of 350-point neutrals/heros. On the one hand, that would make it require a bit of work; on the other hand, it also lets the GM make analogues of Thor, Hulk, or whatever else players might like to play.

Originally posted by Graviton

One thing the PCs love/hate about my team is that their wealthy benefactor requires them to make public appearances quite often. This was watched 'round the world, and crashed (natch) by supervillains. Vegas bookmakers were laying odds on the teams, and individuals. It was a hoot.

Great idea. My crew has government interference from AEGIS (our version of SHIELD/UNTIL/PRIMUS) and they've yet to have them land on the team with both feet... YET.

That's an idea worth stealing.

Originally posted by AlHazred

At one time, I thought about demoing the Hero System at local cons (MonCon, ShoreCon) through a multiple-heat Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. You play a 350-point brick* and fight a number of matches until you're eliminated. Considering the number of people likely to show up, though, this could be unexpectedly labor-intensive. My idea was to have an actual belt made for the winner...

* My original idea was to use bricks from the Hero Universe; thus players could try Ironclad, someone can play Tachyon in disguise, etc. The problem was the lack of 350-point neutrals/heros. On the one hand, that would make it require a bit of work; on the other hand, it also lets the GM make analogues of Thor, Hulk, or whatever else players might like to play.

If you remember Ninja Hero (the original), there was a scenario in the back called 'Valhalla Mountain'. It was a Kumite-style 16 man elimination battle.

This is a GREAT storyline and works well adapted to Champions or even a Fantasy setting and the Main Villain is easily adapted to fit any back-story.

Our campaign

Our team (name as yet to be determined) operates out of the Red Centre, a base in the middle of the Simpson Desert in a universe where, unlike the official Champions Universe, Australia cannot be 'safely ignored due to its lack of supers, etc'.

Our Silver Age game is set in Fair City, nebulously located somewhere on the west coast of the US. Like most Silver Age comics, geography isn't exactly our strong suit. Taking a page from Toon, the action either happens Inside, Outside, Out of Town, In Another Town, or Off-World.