Black Scorpion

Mark Rand

Hermit's thread on Animal Motifs for Supers got me thinking about Black Scorpion. Sure, she was a B movie Roger Corman character, but the name has potential.

Let's start with a kunoichi, or female ninja. Instead of Darcy's somewhat skimpy costume, she wears a traditional black ninja costume with two changes, a black ski mask replaces the other mask and she adds clawed gloves. These aren't climbing claws, they scratch the crook and, maybe, put some kind of drug into him.

Besides the claws, she carries a sword, throwing stars, a weighted chain, possibly, a device for firing sleep darts, all bought, along with the finger claws, as a multipower. She also carries other weapons, bought as a VPP, and probably other specialized tools, bought either as a multipower or a VPP.

Her Scorpionmoble could be based on a Pontiac TransAm, last made in 2001, instead of a Corvette.

Re: Black Scorpion

Originally posted by Mark Rand

Her Scorpionmoble could be based on a Pontiac TransAm, last made in 2001, instead of a Corvette.

Oh hell yes, preach brother...preach!

The motto of my old old TA club was: "Trans Am...the car Darth Vader would drive."

And just as a point of fact, it was sadly discontinued in 2002, along with the Camaro.

Hermit's thread on Animal Motifs for Supers got me thinking about Black Scorpion. Sure, she was a B movie Roger Corman character, but the name has potential.

Let's start with a kunoichi, or female ninja. Instead of Darcy's somewhat skimpy costume, she wears a traditional black ninja costume with two changes, a black ski mask replaces the other mask and she adds clawed gloves. These aren't climbing claws, they scratch the crook and, maybe, put some kind of drug into him.

Besides the claws, she carries a sword, throwing stars, a weighted chain, possibly, a device for firing sleep darts, all bought, along with the finger claws, as a multipower. She also carries other weapons, bought as a VPP, and probably other specialized tools, bought either as a multipower or a VPP.

Nice. I especially like that there's no lame attempt to work in an actual tail. :) slavish devotion to theme can get silly. And ugly.

Re: Re: Black Scorpion

Originally posted by Lupus

Nice. I especially like that there's no lame attempt to work in an actual tail. :) slavish devotion to theme can get silly. And ugly.

Show trivia time! Believe it or not the character did have a "tail" -- a ponytail with a cover like a scorpion. And it looked *horrible* on the actress in the TV series. Fans of the show (they existed, really) were told this as an explanation for why such an unflattering look was kept.

I just noticed that first season (aka "the last season") of Black Scorpion is now available on DVD. Nice to know that this cultural gem will now be preserved for posterity. I wonder if the guy who played the cop walked around the set muttering "I used to be on Family Ties! Where did it all go wrong?"

You can't bring back a car as "retro" until you've discontinued it for a while. Sales were down on those two so it makes sense. In a few years there will be a "back by popular demand" ad campaign followed by modernized unveilings of them, like the changes to the beetle.

You know, I thought this show was silly and ridiculous, but I just couldnt' look away.

I'd have it on Sci-Fi and be playing everquest and then i'd realize that I'm getting the crap beat out of me by something and there are text messages from friends saying, "Pay attention!"

Originally posted by Blue

You can't bring back a car as "retro" until you've discontinued it for a while. Sales were down on those two so it makes sense. In a few years there will be a "back by popular demand" ad campaign followed by modernized unveilings of them, like the changes to the beetle.

I think that was a given, and the relaunch may be sooner than later with Ford unveiling the new Mustang and Shelby Cobra. Rumor has it that GM has hired the designer of the PT Cruiser for the redesign.

Originally posted by Blue

You know, I thought this show was silly and ridiculous, but I just couldnt' look away.

I totally agree. It had the camp/kitsch of the 60s Batman with the addition of raw sex appeal. I found myself being sucked in as well.

What I'm thinking for the Scorpionmobile is this: it looks like a 2002 (ram-air, if possible) TransAm, but is armored, can spray oil or smoke out of rear sprayers, has revolving license plates, three energy beams under the hood, a stun beam, a laser, and something to jam electronic systems at short range. Other gadgets may be added, but I haven't thought of them, yet.

Family Ties to Black Scorpion:confused: Maybe they should do a where is he now on him:D .

Probably......."we found him working at a Kroger's in Boise":p

I actually watched a couple of epsiodes. The sci-fi channel had a marathon of it one day I was off from college. I graduated 2 and a half years ago. So that tells you it was a while. I remember it because the acting was so bad it was painful to watch and also I remember saying "hey isnt that the Family Tie guy"

First of all, I'd point out that the Ninja garb is not "traditional" ninja clothing. Ninja do not wear uniforms (else, well, you'd know WHO THEY ARE wouldn't you? :)). They wear normal clothing when on missions, because then they can disguise themselves as commoners.

Second of all, might want to try one of those 'stretching/swinging' grapplehookers in the claws. Also: She might have a power like tremorsense, able to feel vibrations on the ground (maybe through some special ultrasonic radar system in a helmet). Scorpions have this.

When I called Black Scorpion's ninja garb traditional, I should've said, the garb we traditionally associate with the ninja.

The grapple hook and line idea is a good one, but I might have it hidden in one sleeve of her costume, or an armguard, while the dart gun, or an electronic stinger, is in another.

The tremor sense might be a device in her misc gear VPP or multipower.

I owned a '78 Trans Am for many years (8=track player and everything. Beautiful condition.

I hated it.

The car was a COP MAGNET! I swear, I have never received so much attention from our blue knights than when I was driving that thing.

In the course of two weeks, I was stopped twice on the left turn near my old apartment. The first time it was for entering the left turn lane too late, then for entering it too early. It was the exact same maneuver! It was the same turn I had done a hundred times in my Toyota Corolla sedan.

I aborted a lane change on the freeway once. A police car two cars ahead pulled onto the shoulder, still going at freeway speeds, just about ten mph slower so the cars on the road could pass him. He's kicking up all kinds of dust and rocks just so he can pull back onto the road behind me and follow me for 25 miles. Probably running my plate to check it against other people who pull out of their lane for two seconds.

Sheesh!

Keith "Smokey and the Bandit indeed!" Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

I owned a '78 Trans Am for many years (8=track player and everything. Beautiful condition.

I hated it.

The car was a COP MAGNET! I swear, I have never received so much attention from our blue knights than when I was driving that thing...

Keith "Smokey and the Bandit indeed!" Curtis

Two questions, was it red and did it have the 'Screaming Chicken' decal on the hood? Older guys in my TA club related similar stories about the decal. As far as GM's Bright Red aka Pull-Me-Over Red...

I was driving back from Sam's Club in my '99 TA with a carful of groceries, with my gf in the passenger seat. It was rush hour traffic so everyone was below the speed limit. There was a black Camaro directly in front of me. A cop pulled up in the next lane. He paced me, paced the Camaro then dropped back and pulled me over to tell me I couldn't have fuzzy dice hanging off the rear view. I noticed the Camaro had something hanging off the rear view and asked why the cop didn't pull him over too? "You had the red car."

What do you think of metal or plastic throwing scorpions? It's based on the iron mandarin duck, found in The Ultimate Martial Artist, which was written by Steven S. Long.

Should she carry knives and a sword? If so, what kind? Both the katana and nonja-to were used by ninja, and this Black Scorpion is one.

On pages 75-83 in The Ultimate Martial Artist, advanced ninjitsu is discussed. There are variant styles of taijitsu (the proper name for the ninja's martial art). Which one, if any, would she know? There are also both mundane and mystical ninja abilities listed in the chapter. Which ones, if any, would she know?

I found an interesting article, FU SCHTICKS FOR CHAMPIONS: Wild Martial Arts Powers Derived From the Pages of Fung Shui on Michael Surbrook's site.One that caught my eye was PATH OF THE SHADOW's COMPANION. Think Black Scorpion would know this?

AND WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH THE SKIMPY COSTUME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad:

CHEEUS HAYCH CRIPES--it took FOREVER to get BLACK CANARY back in fishnets, and now you want to start messin' with BLACK PUSH-UP-BRA....ER, SCORPION:rolleyes:

some people....

Simple, loraxxx. The only things my Black Scorpion and Roger Corman's have in common are the name, the fact that they're both martial artists with cool gadgets, and they both drive a Scorpionmobile.

yours is also lacking in the T and/or A department, particularly if she's covered head-to-toe, except for her eyes--which in my eyes IS WRONG--JUST WRONG!!!!

..but then again, i run JAMIE JUSTICE....:D

attachment.php?s=&postid=250028