Bad Luck Field

Metaphysician

Except that unluck is a disad isn't it. You can't really buy it, it gives you points to spend.

Now a more rules friendly version may be an area effect transform that gives everything in the area 5d6 unluck....

Though in your sandbox the earlier maybe easier and less of a headache.

So really just comes down to what floats your boat. I'd shy away from "Buying" unluck simply because it's changing a convention I don't think needs to be changed to accomplish the deed.

I really like the Change enviroment. This way no extra limitations saying that once you leave the Transform field the unluck goes away (though that could be the condition for undoing the Transform...). And it's cheaper no doubt.

In terms of point cost you probably don't want to just buy a disadvantage as an attack power. That isn't what they are there for and their costs are not balanced for that. If you can buy unluck to go after your enemies, then what is to stop someone from buying "Hunted by Mechanon, 14-, useable against others" to get out of buying a 1200 point summon on a 14- activation roll?

If you want to give someone the effect of having the disadvantage, then the change environment or transform options are the way to go.

Except we are talking about unluck fields.

BOSHUDA !!

Villain #1:: Drat! He ducked!

Villain #2:: Damn! My Plasma Beam hit the Halon Truck!

Villain #3:: How the blazes did my lightning bolt ground out on the third rail !!

Chorus:: "How could we be so Unlucky!!!"

Target Character thinking quietly to himself:: "Gee, awfully lucky of me"

Objectively...

Luck (5d6); SFX: Opponents are unlucky.

I tacked on the AE and Usable by Others to legitamitely cover teammates. Though in our campaing, Cory's decisions on using luck HAVE affected everyone.

A weak Unluck field would be modelled with the popular Change Enviro. Also the AE, Negative Skill Levels, Used as an attack is valid, though it would hit everyone in the area OR selective target causes the nightmare of rolling to hit everyone.

To persist BEYOND the characters immediate area (ie, they are cursed for a certain duration) it would definitely be a Transform adding Unluck dice to the character.

. EC:: Causaility Field

Change Environment:: "Unlucky Area", Variable Effect, up to -2 PER, -2 OCV/DCV, -2" ground movement

Telekinesis (STR 40), No Conscious Control, SFX:: Lucky collapses, falls, slips.

Energy Blast (8d6), Indirect, Focus of Oppurtunity. SFX:: falling anvils, glancing shots and other attacks of oppurtunity.

Luck, 5d6, AE, Usable by 4 others

Suppress (3d6), 0 END, Persistant, AE, Personal Immunity, No Range, Affects All Luck Based Powers linked to Change Environment.

I'd probably go with the CE, but another possibility is a "random" multipower.

Multipower - No conscious control (no control over when it triggers or what slot is used), 0 end, persistent, uncontrolled

- Indirect Energy blast (something falls from above)

"Watch oput for that piano! Wow, lots of bad drivers in this town!"

- Drain Dexterity - target slips, and is slow to recover balance

- Summon - an enemy of the target shows up unexpectedly

- Cosmetic Transform - Target suddenly receives Bad News and has to leave.

- Flash - Struck in the eye by random debris

- Drain strength, slow recovery - Target pulls a muscle

- Major Transform, foci only - Target accidentally brought the wrong gadget.

- Major Transform, only to form hole or pit for target to step in.

Who needs bad luck.....my players bring their own anyway. We have played 4 times and one of the characters has his weapons set up with a 14 or less Activations with a 3d6 Side Effect and has consistently done more damage to himself that the enemies. To give you an idea of how bad it is he failed 30% of the activation rolls last night and that was the best he has done so far. Two Questions:

1. What is the percentage chance that you will roll 14 or less?

2. Side Effect skips defenses right? Otherwise, the defenses would generally soak any damage and the mantra is a limitation that doesn't limit isn't worth any points.

Originally posted by Farkling

BOSHUDA !!

Villain #1:: Drat! He ducked!

Villain #2:: Damn! My Plasma Beam hit the Halon Truck!

Villain #3:: How the blazes did my lightning bolt ground out on the third rail !!

Chorus:: "How could we be so Unlucky!!!"

Target Character thinking quietly to himself:: "Gee, awfully lucky of me"

Objectively...

Luck (5d6); SFX: Opponents are unlucky.

I tacked on the AE and Usable by Others to legitamitely cover teammates. Though in our campaing, Cory's decisions on using luck HAVE affected everyone.

I'd go with this one...it makes the most sense rules wise.