Question about atomic bomb?

Badger

Originally posted by Kristopher

I see absolutely no reason why an atomic or thermonuclear device should have any effect whatsoever on someone who is Desolid with a supernatural SFX, such as an astral form or a spirit.

I agree completely! Even more, why should anything real (read "natural") affect ANYTHING supernatural? The supernatural / magic / phony science SFX is IMPERVIOUS to anything real ....

By definition!! Ha!

My character is a regular Joe, but all his stats are defined as being "magic".

Cars can't touch him! Swords, bullets and punches have no effect! A laser beam means nothing - Ha! Fire? Who cares!!!

I really like this approach. 0 pts, and I'm impervious to almost everything.

Originally posted by Scatterbrain

Other than as a Plot Device, a nuclear (or themonuclear) bomb just needs to exist. It doesn't need a set of stats that are essentially meaningless; the heroes will either:

1.) prevent it from detonating.

or

2.) not prevent it from detonating, in which case the campaign ends, because they'll all be dead, and there will be a gigantic smoking crater where Millenium city was.

Says you. Of the six characters in my campaign, two would survive it outright, one without even falling unconscious. If we have any warning at all, the entire team is gonna survive inside a hefty Force Field UBO.

Dang this is my most popular thread I've ever had!:D

My 2 cents (which is all it is worth:rolleyes: ) on Desolid is that it probably would still affect on a desolid of the physical world type (though maybe a damage reduction) on the astral plane of existense who knows.

Course a super speedster at ground zero vibrating real fast? If he has superspeed shouldnt he use it to run the heck out of there? Though he better hope against a pulled muscle:rolleyes:.

Thanks guys this has been real interesting so far.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Says you. Of the six characters in my campaign, two would survive it outright, one without even falling unconscious. If we have any warning at all, the entire team is gonna survive inside a hefty Force Field UBO.

Says you back at ya.

If I were your GM and I felt the need to set off a nuclear bomb it's because you needed to be dead, and you would die. I don't care what kind of uber forcefield/armor/damage reduction you had .. you'd vaporize. But, every GM is different.

On that note, why is it ness. to define an atomic bomb at a game level? will it ever actually be used? A game system has a hard time quanitfiying something as vicious as an uncontrolled nuclear fission reaction. You get Blast Damage, Heat Damage, Shockwave Damage, Radiation Damage and because we know an A-Bomb will blast both ways, first out then in (or was it the other way around? I can't remember) some of that damage happens twice.

Originally posted by ghost-angel

On that note, why is it ness. to define an atomic bomb at a game level? will it ever actually be used?

Yes. Though at least our characters were out of there. More of an SF game at that point...

And of course for those super characters that can survive a blast, how much angst there will be for failing to stop it?

it all depends on the story.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

So add a Limitation to the power that the Affects Desolid only works on SFX of Desolid that still have some presence in the physical world (such as a vampire in mist form, or a speedster vibrating super-fast).

There are obviously some SFX of Desolid that should be affected by a nuclear bomb, and it shouldn't rely on the character with Desolid to have remembered to include "Nuclear Weapons" among the things their Desolid doesn't work against. ;)

Er...

Mist Form and SuperVibration are usually affected by 'Area Effect' attacks.

And how does a thermnonuclear explosion hurt *mist* anyway? Make it hotter and bigger?

Affects Desolid is just there for those people who I do not understand at ALL who want nuke to = campaign over.

I gotta run me a game where a nuke is considered low power. And DEF 40 BODY 40 is soft butter.

> And how does a thermnonuclear explosion hurt *mist*

> anyway? Make it hotter and bigger?

Exactly.

So hot and so big that the component particles of the mist are so far apart that they can't get back together.

Remember, /four/ states of matter. Solid, liquid, gas... and plasma.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Chuckg

> And how does a thermnonuclear explosion hurt *mist*

> anyway? Make it hotter and bigger?

Exactly.

So hot and so big that the component particles of the mist are so far apart that they can't get back together.

Remember, /four/ states of matter. Solid, liquid, gas... and plasma.

OTOH... it would be kinda cool to have your PC temporarily gain a few levels of growth. :)

And it IS magic vampire mist. :D

Besides. As I said, most 'Mist' powers ARE affected by Area Effects/Explosions... so affects Desolid not needed.

Originally posted by Kristopher

It's amazing how some people can't resist the urge to argue against a charicature of what someone said, instead of what someone actuallly said.

No one here is doing that. It was merely pointed out that affects desolid attacks without a properly defined SFX is a meta-gaming stunt as opposed to a well conceived power.