A new Silver Age Hero like world

The Vanguard

Hi I need help in creating a new Silver Age Hero world, of course my Silver Age has bite to it. I mean it's written like an Iron Age comic, but it takes place in the Silver Age timeframe.

This idea was inspired by the computer game Freedom Force, I need help in naming the City that the Superhero team is based in Like Empire City,Freedom City, or Patroit City but I can't use that name without getting sued.

Re: A new Silver Age Hero like world

If Resident Evil could get away with using Raccoon City it's a wide open field for city names. You could take an existing city and plunk it into a different state/country. Just check out an atlas and likely something'll spring to mind.

Another point is that unless you're planning on publishing your campaign, I don't forsee any problems in using an existing name.

Sterling City

I like this one. It's good. I may steal it myself.

As for "Campaign City", it is more correctly spelt "Campaigne City", since it was, of course, named after that famous French explorer, the Marquis de La Campaigne. :)

Hmm, now I'll have to think about Golden Age cities.

British Iron Age campaigns would, of course, be based in Sheffield. Apparently it has the appropriate degree of urban decay...

British Iron Age campaigns would, of course, be based in Sheffield. Apparently it has the appropriate degree of urban decay...

Whilst Sheffield was an ugly monstosity of a city back in the 80s, it is now considered to be a funky, forward-looking cosmopolitan place with good universities and research industries.

For British urban blight, may I suggest Leeds or Bradford. Very few British cities are "all bad" but most of them have undesirable areas eg Moss Side in Manchester, Toxteth in Liverpool etc

Returning to the question of a campaign name, how about Rocky City, Coastal City, Gulf City, Pacific City or Diamond City. Alternatively play upon the American trend of "borrowing" names from Europe eg New Vienna or New Leicester. I've always been fond of New Munich.

Whilst Sheffield was an ugly monstosity of a city back in the 80s' date=' it is now considered to be a funky, forward-looking cosmopolitan place with good universities and research industries. [/quote']

There ya go. That's the risk of working with stereotypes.

Of course, the source I was working from in this case was The Full Monty. No, really. A great film. :)

I've actually been one of the loudest mouths against national stereotyping. It will do me good to have been pulled up on it myself.

So, thank you.

Still, it would have been a good joke for the Steel city to have become the base for an Iron Age campaign. What's the equivalent in the US? Anywhere where there was once a steel industry that's gone away and hasn't been replaced...

Still' date=' it would have been a good joke for the Steel city to have become the base for an Iron Age campaign. What's the equivalent in the US? Anywhere where there was once a steel industry that's gone away and hasn't been replaced...[/quote']

In the US, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania is most closely associated with the steel industry. It's not the only place of course, but the most prominent one. Football (American Football) team called the Steelers.

In the US' date=' Pittsburgh Pennsylvania is most closely associated with the steel industry. It's not the only place of course, but the most prominent one. Football (American Football) team called the Steelers.[/quote']

I actually typed in Pittsburgh, but deleted it because I was being cautious. What's its current situation?

I guess what I'm looking for are "Rust Belt" cities that actually deserve the name.

They're the ones that Iron Age games are probably best set in. Cities on the way down, not the way up.

Agh...post got deleted.

To recap what I was going to say, shortly. Try Pittsburgh, Jersey City, Detroit (non-CU), Boston, maybe Chicago. All have good points, but are past their "golden ages". No offense intended to any residents. Except for Jersey. :)

Poor Jersey. They always seems to get picked on. :)

Pittsburgh seems like the proper place for an Iron Age game then...

Ooh yes... I just did a search and found this page:

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us

In particular:

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/cp/maps/downtown_buildings.html

Nice.

This is city is set in the Silver Age timeframe' date=' Centenial City that's a good name also Liberty.[/quote']

Yeah, Centennial City is pretty good. With Liberty Heights as a suburb, or neighbouring town. :)

If you are surprised or worried about us talking about Iron Age city names, don't be. All threads wander away from the topic to some extent or other. :)

This time, it was a case of: what names would be suitable for other Ages besides Silver?

Hmm, for some reason, Centennial City sounds a fair way inland. It would probably have been a 19th century foundation, given its formal name in 1876 or so. Before then it probably would have been called something like Dog's Butte.

The place where I live was originally known as "The Swamp". It has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

Simple, but descriptive and evocative names reigned in the silver age. Look at Coast City, Central City, Smallville, and Metropolis. You could also go for variations on silver, like Sterling or Argent, or time, like Millenium, Century, and Centennial City.

Names that use New, St., or San are also good. How about St. Roche for a New Orleans/Mississippi feel, New Hudson for a New England feel, and San Domingo a sea side West Coast town?

Hmm, for some reason, Centennial City sounds a fair way inland. It would probably have been a 19th century foundation, given its formal name in 1876 or so. Before then it probably would have been called something like Dog's Butte.

The place where I live was originally known as "The Swamp". It has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

I love the idea of having a historical renaming. Eagle Rock (where I went to school, here in Los Angeles, California) was once Fat Rock, until someone noticed the vague shape of a bird in flight eroded into the hill that gave it its original name.