Speed Typing

Foxx!

Re: Speed Typing

Unless there was a reason typing skill would matter quite a bit, I think the best way to handle it would be one of the following mechanics...

#1> A PS: Speed Typing skill that could be used as a complimentary roll for other skills (like PS: Secretary) or allow those skills to be used in less time (like Computer Programming -- reduce the time required by a step if the Typing skill roll is made).

#2> As a Penalty Skill Level to reduce the penalty for "rushing" typing tasks -- allowing them to be done more quickly. This assumes you use a penalty for rushing skills (I usually charge -2 for each step on the time chart but don't allow more than a step or two under most circumstances).

#3> Base it on the Rapid Sense cost... 3pts for x10 typing speed.

Heroes:

How would you make speed typing?

Well,if you're just trying to make a fairly normal fast typist, I'd just buy PS: Speed Typist.

As far as making a super-typist who can type hundreds of words per minute, that's as much a mental process as a physical one, so I'd probably just make it part of the schtick of any speedster with typing or secretarial skills. Or allow any character with a high SPD to type "X times faster" than a normal where X is how many times higher their SPD is than a normal's 2 SPD. So a SPD 6 secretarial type or computer programmer could reasonably type say 300 WPM (Assuming a decent touch typist can do 100 WPM.). That's how my own quasi-speedster (SPD 9) handles it; she's an executive assistant in her Secret ID and we just assume she's a VERY fast typist particularly since she also has Computer Programming as well as PS: Executive Assistant 12-.

Unless the character is trying to reprogram a computer at superspeed, I'd just let it go as SFX. If what they're doing is computer programming at super-speed, then I'd apply the appropriate penalties from moving up the Time Chart.

If you really want to use a game mechanic, the simplest way I can think of to do it would be to apply the Rapid Sense Modifier (FREd p. 107). In a way, typing is a sort of "voice" for the Sight Sense Group (there would be a lot of modifiers to make it work that way, but essentially it does function kind of like that). Thus, it would cost 3 points to type 10x as fast.

That may seem horribly cheap, but of course one does have the issue of having a typewriter or computer able to keep up with the pace.... :P

If you're talking about insanely fast Flash/Superman speed stuff Change Environment with (+1 Permanent Duration) has been used for buying the speedster effect of accomplishing a number of routine tasks in a blink of an eye. So if you want to type out a book report in a second flat this is an option. That or get your housecleaning done.

Very simply.

Talent: Speed Typing/Writing

3 points

This talent allows a character to transcribe words to paper or word processor at high speeds similiar to Speed Reading.

I think thats all thats necessary. The average guy (Spd 2) with speed typing types fast. The Flash (Spd 8) types that much faster.

I'd just call it a Speedster trick and leave it.

If it must be a seperate Power/Skill/Ability of some kind...

Cosmetic Transform (blank page to page with writing on it) 1d6 (SE 3) (5 Active) OAF, Extra Time: 1 Turn (2 Real). How much paper would it take to fill up 3 BODY, maybe a ream? 2 points to fill them with text with a standard typwriter in 12 seconds. Alternatevely, you can can expand the effect to include computer keyboards (word processing document to word processing document with more text) and it still costs only 2 points.

If that's too munchkin, rename Speed Reading.