Strike Force

Killer Shrike

Ok, so get this...

I stop by Game Empire, San Diego to pick up G&G. I stroll back to the wall-o-used-stuff while I was there and but what should I find?

Those of you that read the subject and dont suffer from short term memory issues probably have correctly surmised that I found none other than Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement, which I have never previously been able to get my grubby little hands on.

Granted, its a little beat up and somebody confused it for a coloring book at some point, but it was 5 bucks so who's complaining?

I also snagged a copy of Classic Enemies for $7 while I was there. There was also a copy of Justice Inc and a couple of other books that I already had that I left on the shelf.

What a cool day :D

Re: Strike Force

It's a great supplement and it's too bad that Aaron Allston and DOJ can't work something out where a revised or even the original version of the supplement is re-released in some form.

There's clearly a lot of interest in the book and it's too bad that can't be capitalized on.

Jealousy.

Intense jealousy.

Not just that they had the supplement, BUT THAT YOU HAVE A FREAKIN' STORE WITH HERO ITEMS AND USED GAMING STUFF.

(My local store has half a shelf, and that only because of the game I play in.)

The FLGS here is great on getting the new stuff in, but their supply of old stuff is a little thin. But I've looked at it so many times that I practically have it memorized...

Of the hero games stuff they've got Border Crossing & Shadow over Scotland (Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes adventures, I believe), Champions Presents #2, Scourge from the Deep, the ENEMIES I, Dystopia, (the one with the greek gods...I can't remember the name), and I think, Pyramid in the Sky. But I've long ago pillaged that stack for anything I wanted.

But since I can't find a large portion of my original game supplements, I may have to rebuy them all :(

I can't even remember where I got my copy of Strike Force from. I think someone loaned it to me ages ago, and I have no idea how to get it back to him. Oh well...

I'm like a previous poster in that whenever I start to feel burnt-out, I break out Strike Force and read it from cover-to-cover. I would've LOVED to have a gaming group like that. My current group is old enough that their lives are pretty established, so I just might have a shot at a long-running campaign like the one described in Strike Force..

Just glanced thru it last night, and noticed that a lot of the general purpose material has been reprinted in 4e Champions, so I had already seen some of it.

The rest of it reads like a Campaign journal which is interesting, but not exactly what I was expecting.

I will say this, when this was published it must have been revolutionary, because it doesnt read like any other game supplement Ive ever seen. It's more like an experienced GM mentoring less experienced GMs, but between two covers instead of in person.

One side note, I noticed a small blurb about an organzation called "The Enforcers" which hires out as Thugs-for-rent, very similarly to my own "ENFORCERS, Inc.". Heh. Great minds and all that I guess, but I kind of wish someone had piped up at some point and been like "Hey Shrike, is this like The Enforcers from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement?" so I could have changed the name before I had a bunch of content created for it :(

Confused for a coloring book? I've done that with several of my sourcebooks' date=' so that I can show my players what or who I'm talking about and don't have to describe the color patterns. I use high grade markers and color inside the lines. :P[/quote']

Theres this thing called a "photocopier" ;)

It causes bleed thru on several of the pages, and also the previous owner didnt understand shading so the colored in pics are very flat and unattractive IMO. But, hey, for 5 bucks Ill grin and bear it. ;)

Just glanced thru it last night, and noticed that a lot of the general purpose material has been reprinted in 4e Champions, so I had already seen some of it.

The rest of it reads like a Campaign journal which is interesting, but not exactly what I was expecting.

I will say this, when this was published it must have been revolutionary, because it doesnt read like any other game supplement Ive ever seen. It's more like an experienced GM mentoring less experienced GMs, but between two covers instead of in person.

To me, that's the reason why it's a good resource to have. I'm a computer programmer by trade, one who tries to do as good a job as he can. Sometimes, I get burnt-out and/or frustrated at what's happening. When that happens, I break out my copy of "The Pragmatic Programmer" and read through it again. It (a) helps me relax and focus on something different for a minute and (B) reminds me of good programming practices that sometimes escape you in the heat of the coding battle.

Strike Force is "The Pragmatic Programmer" for me. It reminds me of the stuff that goes into a succesfull campaign since I don't always remember this stuff. Blue booking will be a great tool for my existing group because a lot of them are frustrated writers, and they are plumbers extrodinaire.

To me, that's the reason why it's a good resource to have. I'm a computer programmer by trade, one who tries to do as good a job as he can. Sometimes, I get burnt-out and/or frustrated at what's happening. When that happens, I break out my copy of "The Pragmatic Programmer" and read through it again. It (a) helps me relax and focus on something different for a minute and (B) reminds me of good programming practices that sometimes escape you in the heat of the coding battle.

Strike Force is "The Pragmatic Programmer" for me. It reminds me of the stuff that goes into a succesfull campaign since I don't always remember this stuff. Blue booking will be a great tool for my existing group because a lot of them are frustrated writers, and they are plumbers extrodinaire.

Hehe...no kidding?

Check out my review of Pragmatic Programmer here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020161622X/qid=1080936476/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-9310984-6927054?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Priceless" by KillerShrike.

Also' date=' Bloodshot as in Valiant Comics Bloodshot?[/quote']

Yep...Valiant created some of my favourite comics...one of these days I may get hyperorganized and scour the earth for every issue of Bloodshot so I can build a complete collection again, having lost them to water damage when there was flooding in my parents' basement, where things were being stored.

Yep...Valiant created some of my favourite comics...one of these days I may get hyperorganized and scour the earth for every issue of Bloodshot so I can build a complete collection again' date=' having lost them to water damage when there was flooding in my parents' basement, where things were being stored.[/quote']

Well, you cant have mine!

Actually, Bloodshot himself was never one of my favorites but I liked the Rai angle.

I was always more partial to the Eternal Warrior, Magnus Robot Fighter, HARD Corps, XO Manowar, and some of the Harbinger Arcs. Never really liked Shadowman.

I really liked Rai & the Future Force and the short-lived Secret Weapons arc.

Well, you cant have mine!

Actually, Bloodshot himself was never one of my favorites but I liked the Rai angle.

I was always more partial to the Eternal Warrior, Magnus Robot Fighter, HARD Corps, XO Manowar, and some of the Harbinger Arcs. Never really liked Shadowman.

I really liked Rai & the Future Force and the short-lived Secret Weapons arc.

You forgot about Ninjak - my personal favorite. :rockon:

Actually' date=' my favourite Valiant title used to be Solar,Man of the Atom before they replaced Jim Shooter as writer.[/quote']

Ive only got a few issues of Solar, but it seemed like he should be called "Solar, NUEROTIC Man of the Atom". He was an interesting concept character however, and of course he often showed up in other titles as a plot enabler.