Things We'd Like To See:PRIMUS

zakueins

Re: Things We'd Like To See:PRIMUS

I was actually quite happy with PRIMUS as it was presented: good detail, interesting characters, neat plot hooks. I wouldn't use everything exactly as written, but then I don't do that with most published game books anyway.

Which is why I think the "too campaign-specific" argument is a bit specious. Every Champions book published has been campaign specific, in that it presents a particular interpretation of and approach to characters, organizations, style of play etc. as the default. What I believe any update of PRIMUS would benefit from is more suggestions and guidelines on how to vary those elements to suit a particular campaign, and more "modular" features to add or remove as desired - rather like the approach to VIPER. Shelley did include a few such ideas, but more could be done along those lines. The ebook was barely over a hundred pages, though; I have every confidence that SCM will go like gangbusters if given more room to play with. :)

750-1000 is a bit much for SA/GAs, IMHO. However, I think that every Silver Avenger should be around 500 points, with the Golden Avenger around 750 or so. Keep in mind, however, that part of that is equipment. Frankly, I'd be inclined to just stat them individual and let them requisition equipment as needed ( maybe a PRIMUS Equipment Allowance? ).

Also, while the actual difference in powers between Silver Avengers and the Golden Avenger isn't that great, the skill difference shouldn't be. The Golden Avenger should be as far above the average Silver Avenger, skillwise, as a Silver Avenger is above your average police officer. Not to say there aren't other SAs who have competitive levels of skill; you need a pool for future GA candidates, after all. . .

Oh, and Mental Defenses really should be part of the standard package for SAs. If training and conditioning can give Secret Service agents Mental Defense 20, then every SA should have at least 5 points prior to Ego bonuses.

Golden and Silver Avengers get a VPP Gadget Pool, to represent Stuff they're assigned, I think.

And yea, the Golden Avenger should have at least 20 pts Mental Defense, or 10 pts Hardened. Sliver Avengers the same, or at least on the same scale.

Silver Avengers...three ranks in the skill sheets-Basic, Experienced, and Veteran. Vets should be able to take on the Golden Avenger, three-to-one. :)

750-1000 is a bit much for SA/GAs, IMHO. However, I think that every Silver Avenger should be around 500 points, with the Golden Avenger around 750 or so. Keep in mind, however, that part of that is equipment. Frankly, I'd be inclined to just stat them individual and let them requisition equipment as needed ( maybe a PRIMUS Equipment Allowance? ).

Also, while the actual difference in powers between Silver Avengers and the Golden Avenger isn't that great, the skill difference shouldn't be. The Golden Avenger should be as far above the average Silver Avenger, skillwise, as a Silver Avenger is above your average police officer. Not to say there aren't other SAs who have competitive levels of skill; you need a pool for future GA candidates, after all. . .

Oh, and Mental Defenses really should be part of the standard package for SAs. If training and conditioning can give Secret Service agents Mental Defense 20, then every SA should have at least 5 points prior to Ego bonuses.

I'd agree with the gadget pool except that it'd need a fairly high pool size. Not so much to pay for the gadgets, but to allow sufficient active point limitations. I'd need to see what kind of tech PRIMUS has available; if there is lots of stuff of the "Many ads/many disads" type, a gadget pool might not be viable.

I'd agree with the gadget pool except that it'd need a fairly high pool size. Not so much to pay for the gadgets' date=' but to allow sufficient active point limitations. I'd need to see what kind of tech PRIMUS has available; if there is lots of stuff of the "Many ads/many disads" type, a gadget pool might not be viable.[/quote']

In PRIMUS -- and for Agent level games -- I swear by brownie points. (In the very cool PRIMUS ebook and a few places mentioned on the website.) It's also not a bad way to work things when the Avengers/agents are NPCs; easy for the GM to pick and choose what equipment to have on hand.

-Shelley

(Having way too much fun with the little smilie icons)

I'd like to second who ever wanted the "Iron Guard" in the 5e PRIMUS. Be it in the form of a brand new division, or old hat. I just can't believe that with all the super villains in Power armor that have been captured, that PRIMUS wouldn't have plenty of rough blue prints to pick from so they could develop their own.

Mind you, that in itself could be used as a plot hook. If, for example, the Iron Guard Armor were based in part on some notes stolen from Dr. Destroyer; I can imagine PRIMUS' top men worrying about the tactical ramifications.

Not only that, but there's PA going all the way back to WWII, if the material in the last Golden Age Champions isn't going to be set aside in the new one. The only reason for PRIMUS not to have the Iron Guard (or some derivative thereof) is a policy decision by the Powers-That-Be.

Hm...build the Iron Guard with a VPP "kit pool" that PRIMUS can attach gadgets to the powered armor to. That way, they can do a whole bunch of different jobs.

I'd like to second who ever wanted the "Iron Guard" in the 5e PRIMUS. Be it in the form of a brand new division, or old hat. I just can't believe that with all the super villains in Power armor that have been captured, that PRIMUS wouldn't have plenty of rough blue prints to pick from so they could develop their own.

Mind you, that in itself could be used as a plot hook. If, for example, the Iron Guard Armor were based in part on some notes stolen from Dr. Destroyer; I can imagine PRIMUS' top men worrying about the tactical ramifications.

That was me, and as popular as power armor has been throughout CHAMPIONS history, (remember the TURTLE suits?) it would be a serious omission if the Iron Guard were to be left out of 5th Ed continuity--especially since now that only the Avengers get Cyberline enhancements, PRIMUS isn't what it used to be. (Not to mention the fact that "Iron Guard" is a really cool name for a combat force.)

Like Hermit, I was also thinking that PRIMUS might try to engineer captured supervillain technology for its own use--I once envisioned a character called Sky Marshal, who was a Silver Avenger equipped with a re-engineered version of Red Raptor's (Challenges For Champions, 4th Ed) antigravity harness. I could also envision PRIMUS salivating at the chance to capture Lazer, Mechassassin or Steel Commando, just to get their hands on their particular toys.

Two ranks of Iron Guard? The "troopers" (more power-assisted armor) and the "bangers" (full-up powered battle armor)? Gives more tactical-and GM-flexability.

That was me' date=' and as popular as power armor has been throughout [b']CHAMPIONS[/b] history, (remember the TURTLE suits?) it would be a serious omission if the Iron Guard were to be left out of 5th Ed continuity--especially since now that only the Avengers get Cyberline enhancements, PRIMUS isn't what it used to be. (Not to mention the fact that "Iron Guard" is a really cool name for a combat force.)

Like Hermit, I was also thinking that PRIMUS might try to engineer captured supervillain technology for its own use--I once envisioned a character called Sky Marshal, who was a Silver Avenger equipped with a re-engineered version of Red Raptor's (Challenges For Champions, 4th Ed) antigravity harness. I could also envision PRIMUS salivating at the chance to capture Lazer, Mechassassin or Steel Commando, just to get their hands on their particular toys.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this one . I whole heartedly agree with my fellow HEROphiles reguarding keeping the IRON GUARDS , but add newer technologies and gadgets and call them Iron Guard Mark I , II , and III .

I would also like to see Susano's Digital Hero #10 artical slipped in there soem where . Modified of coarse , but still useful . With the release of the Ultimate Mytic , The Mystic World , Vibora Bay , DEMON , etc... I really like the idea of expanding the Wizards Agent Division .

Thanks

Qm

In our campaign, the Defenders have a contact with the Seacouver (Seattle essentially) Silver Avenger, and through a lot of the very in-depth backstory, one of the major NPS of the game has become an employee in PRIMUS. He's got a pencil-pushing job, but he's also good friends with the SA there, and is a crack with gadgets and powered armor!

Because of his little "hidden influence" in the tech department, we have been planning to introduce a lot of new armor and gadgets into the PRIMUS in our universe, so Iron Guard writeups and lots and lots of spiffy new SA gadgetry would be fabulous and wonderously adaptable to our campaign.

*shamelessplug* In fact, Dust Raven has already developed some stuff for PRIMUS gadgets and such, and is very easy to email if you were looking for ideas for your book. All things are best when drawing from many sources of inspiration. :winkgrin:

By the way, Shelly, we both have been to your site, especially since doing a lot with PRIMUS in our games... I love all the background you have on the SA and the GA... very cool. Of course, we have made a few changes, but then, who doesn't? I just thought I'd add, since few people have complimented you in this, that I AM hoping to see the awesome backgrounds for the SA that are on your site. You have done a great job so far!

By the way, Shelly, we both have been to your site, especially since doing a lot with PRIMUS in our games... I love all the background you have on the SA and the GA... very cool. Of course, we have made a few changes, but then, who doesn't? I just thought I'd add, since few people have complimented you in this, that I AM hoping to see the awesome backgrounds for the SA that are on your site. You have done a great job so far!

Oh, you sweet thing, you! You made my evening. :)

And when PRIMUS ultimately comes down the pike, everyone will be hearing about it; I love suggestions.

-Shelley