Game Maps and Counters Exchange

etherio

Not sure if something like this exists, but it would be cool if we GMs could help each other out and post stuff on a thread for other storytellers to use as props and the like.

This could also serve as an "ask and maybe somebody has it" type of resource...

Suggestions...

COUNTERS

I have a bunch of counters I made with Photoshop for my game...anybody who likee can use 'em. They're the little-square-head-shots-with-the-arrows-pointin'-up variety of counters. I like to use them at 1/2" square though, unlike the typical 1"...reflects the scale of the game map a little better. You can actually fit a couple of guys in the same hex in combat. It's easy enough to convert the scale if you like them bigger. I'll include a sample of one sheet.

MAPS

I keep handy an expanded version of a "blank" grayscale hex map that I got off of the free stuff on this site. Any map with blank floor space is easily resized to scale and pasted over this for printing at the local Kinko's. I would love to be able to browse maps that other people have created or found of cool stuff like buildings, parks, famous spots, etc...

DOCUMENTS

Y'know...stuff for clues and a hint of realism...fake newspaper articles, dossiers for spy games, treasure maps...

'PUTER FILES

If you ever made a cool database or bit of shareware that can be used for hands-on game-playing...like when players use their puter skills to search for clues...

Dunno...you guys can come up with better, I'm sure.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Game Maps and Counters Exchange

Here are the maps for one of my groups house and HQ:

Okay, I can't seem to upload files to attach. so I guess I'll just put them on the web site for download...

Headquarters

Mansion (front view)

Mansion

Gym

If I've done it right, they'll print as is on 1/4" hex paper to game scale. Or you can enlarge any of them by x4 and pring them on 1" hex paper.

EDIT: The images wouldn't load from a geocities site, so I linked them to my MSN Group.

I posted a template used for creating stand-up minis and a page of minis used in my game.

The artwork was using HeroMachine.

Initially I was printing directly onto posterboard and/or index cards. I realized that if I printed on mailing labels, I would get better quality and didn't have problems with the poster board jamming in my printer.

To get to the template and minis

Visit http://www.devodog.com/champions.

Here's the map for the HQ in my supers campaign. It's the top 3 stories of a skyscraper in Manhattan. The base is basically built around an enigmatic, indestructible, immovable arch they found in-game that can serve as a gateway to other worlds. (It's in the big vault at the center of the Admin. Level.)

When I played D&D I made custom decks of cards that featured Initiative numbers, intended actions and a few blanks for truly weird moves. They sped up combat quite a bit, at a glance everyone knew who went and what they were doing.

I could do something similar for Champions I guess. Phase Numbers, Maneuvers, basic power sets, like Flight and Dodge. My group doesnt play Champions anymore, and it was 4th Ed though.

You could also take a deck of old playing cards, spraypaint the face white and use a marker to write down numbers and actions, laminate a few as blanks and have wipe off markers or grease pencils handy.

Here are the maps of the Headquarters for the Seattle Hunt. It is located in a run-down section of the city. The entire block is covered by a powerful Illusion that makes it look like a vacant warehouse.

http://www.ravensplayground.com/characters/maps/mappage.html

Excellent....just the sort of thing I think GMs can use.

...Hey Ghost Archer,

love the maps...I was wondering, what software did you (or others) use to make them? It'd be great to have maps as good as those...

I have used the same Dungeon Crafter Program that it appears Ghost Archer used. But GA, where did you get that tileset?

Here are some more counters...

Alien invaders and their human-mimicking robot minions.

Each one is recognizably different from the others in color and/or orientation. You can makes your players keep track visually of which one has the "mega-bomb."

Hey Ghost Archer,

love the maps...I was wondering, what software did you (or others) use to make them? It'd be great to have maps as good as those

Thanx in advance,

Mancer

Actually it started in WebRPG. I began making my own tiles and fitting them together for maps I was using in WebRPG to run my games. My co-GM, Raven Fireoak, took my tiles and began putting them together she says with Dungeun Crafter but I was doing something like that with either Corel Draw or Paint Shop, I don't remember which.

I did this map MANY years ago. On what program? I have no idea. Maybe the old Windows Paint.

http://the-wild-hunt.org/hunt/huntjr.gif

It is a small underground base that could only be reached by a desolid character that knew where to look for it. It's actually underneath Market St in San Francisco.

Here's the map for the HQ in my supers campaign. It's the top 3 stories of a skyscraper in Manhattan. The base is basically built around an enigmatic' date=' indestructible, immovable arch they found in-game that can serve as a gateway to other worlds. (It's in the big vault at the center of the Admin. Level.)[/quote']

Is there a key for that map set?

Also, if the arch is immovable, how did they get it up there? ;)

Is there a key for that map set?

Yes, there is a key...and a base sheet. I'll get 'em posted here, but I'm not at home right now.

Also' date=' if the arch is immovable, how did they get it up there? ;)[/quote']

Heh...good question... :winkgrin:

Actually, the arch was created in that spot. The characters were scoping some HQ locations, and one was that 3 floors of empty office space. When they were touring it, they interrupted some sort of ritual...battled a few minor demons that came out of the Arch...and decided they'd better shack up there in order to monitor it.

Actually it started in WebRPG. I began making my own tiles and fitting them together for maps I was using in WebRPG to run my games. My co-GM' date=' Raven Fireoak, took my tiles and began putting them together she says with Dungeun Crafter but I was doing something like that with either Corel Draw or Paint Shop, I don't remember which.[/quote']

Would you share your tileset?