Longest Running Thread EVER

I think otherwise. It seems clear to me that Big Oil has recognized that climate change is real, and it is anthropogenic in origin, and the fossil fuels are the principal cause, and even neglecting what they have done already (Torrey Canyon, Exxon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon, Ixtoc I, ...) the economic damage is going to be incalculably great. Since that realization impacts their image and their profits, they are doing the obvious: attack the messengers and suppress the warnings. It is avarice, not horror, not Faustian hubris, that is our greatest enemy now, and the reason humans will go extinct, with a considerable fraction of the rest of Kingdom Animalia, in the accumulated toxins and collateral damage created in an economic Ponzi scheme that must consume exponentially to continue.

That's the threat now. Thirty years ago, it was nuclear war. Heck, it may be nuclear war again in thirty years.

For some reason, our species seems to exist along a thin line between self-destruction and incompetence. We have the capacity--and, by all appearances the desire--to remove ourselves from the planet, but we never quite succeed in doing so.

On the other hand, it's possible that I'm just delirious from being awake since 3:30 this morning and am spouting nonsense. Perhaps I should just go to bed.

Humans have never been good at dealing with timescales comparable to or longer than a human lifetime. And only rarely do you encounter someone who thinks even as far as 20 years out.

We seem to have lost all thoughts of "posterity", of what subsequent generations will think of us as individuals. Even Teddy Roosevelt mentioned it in his speeches, so it hasn't been gone that long.

Humans have never been good at dealing with timescales comparable to or longer than a human lifetime. And only rarely do you encounter someone who thinks even as far as 20 years out.

We seem to have lost all thoughts of "posterity", of what subsequent generations will think of us as individuals. Even Teddy Roosevelt mentioned it in his speeches, so it hasn't been gone that long.

tl;dr

Using artificial intelligence to avoid bias in job hiring may not be practical. [...] at University of Bath and Princeton University studied the implicit bias of AI using a word-embedding association test (WEAT), similar to an implicit association test (IAT) for humans. While IAT relies on rapid-reactions to test subconscious associations, WEAT is based on the contexts in which words usually appear in writing. Bryson and her colleagues found that WEAT uncovered reasonable word associations, for example musical instruments are more pleasant than weapons..

Totally true. There's been lots of musical instruments played where I'd rather listen to automatic weapons fire than the butchery of the music.