Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I was rather surprised to find that Maine has praying mantises in spades. I'd thought it would be too cold to sustain them, but, one balmy summer evening, there they were. Pretty cool bugs.

They're a much brighter color up there.

Haven't seen any in North Carolina, but I'm sure they're around here somewhere.

My childhood story I related took place in Detroit, MI so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all over North America.

If I remember correctly, green ones are male or young while the brown ones are female or old. Its been a long time since I even thought about that actually. I'm sure some Google Fu would turn up the definitive answer...

The one we caught was tan also' date=' but given the climate and surroundings where we caught it, a green one would have been spotted and eaten approximately immediately.[/quote']

Good point! I wonder if environment affects their coloration...

The adult praying mantis varies in color depending on the habitat it is living in. It camouflages the leaves, flowers, twigs, barks, trees where it is found.

http://www.oisat.org/control_methods/natural_enemies/predators/praying_mantis.html

These insects exhibit in general the phenomenon of mimicry, or adaptation for protection, through their color and form, some being green, like the plants upon which they live, others yellowish or grayish, and others brownish like dead leaves.

http://www.ajmorris.com/nat/mantis.htm

"The coloration of mantids is genetically controlled, the mantids found in your area [Newport, OR] come in green and brown forms, and except for the tendency for green individuals to become a dull grayish-brown as they get old, they don’t change color during their lives. Natural selection usually dictates the ratio of colors in any given population, in habitats with a predominantly brown background, this form will prosper by escaping the notice of visual predators (mainly birds), and in lush green situations, more of the green mantids will survive to reproduce. I don’t know if anybody has studied the home range of mantids in the wild, but they are likely to travel very little if there is food and shelter where they are, but they can walk, jump and fly to a new location if competition or starvation are a factor."

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0917451318066.html

Well, I looked for my little friend yesterday, but couldn't find it. I hope it didn't fly away because I could use some serious bug control around my house. Anyone know how to attract mantids and get them to stay? Spidey I'm talking to you. ;)

. . . I've never had my wisdom teeth.

I don't think I ever had any.

Think how wise I'd be with those suckers . . . !

Nope' date=' nothing to do with that -- I'm just a dental anomaly. :)[/quote']ditto - me too - and so am I.