Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Yup. Heck' date=' it has more than 1,400 posts on the next longest active thread. And almost 1,000 on any other thread even if you include locked ones. And looking at just active threads, you have to go down to "third place" to get to a game thread.[/quote']

The only thread this thread is in competition with is "The Ghost of the Catsuit thread". :straight:

So ... a question for people who know something about Florida ... is it likely to be warm enough in Orlando or Cocoa Beach in the first half of December to make people want to go playing in a water park or in the surf at the beach?

IMO, no. According to Disney World, the average daily temp in December is 63ºF. Farther south, and you'd have the Gulf Stream to keep you toasty; that far north and inland, even the humidity can't keep some seasonal weather at bay.

That's actually one of the things I like about my Prius. The AC is actually quite efficient. I lose more MPG opening the windows due to aerodynamic loss than I do by just turning the AC on. :)

Saturn AC units aren't terribly inefficient, either. But hypermilers (the whole insane lot of them) advocate going around with the windows up and the AC off.

They also advocate drafting 18-wheelers. :angst:

Saturn AC units aren't terribly inefficient, either. But hypermilers (the whole insane lot of them) advocate going around with the windows up and the AC off.

They also advocate drafting 18-wheelers. :angst:

Eh, hypermilers aren't generally worth listening to. At least the ones on the Prius forum I used to frequent didn't have much useful to say. They spent WAY too much time worrying about getting an extra .1 MPG out of their car so that they could brag to other hypermilers about it. Granted, some of them were getting 60 MPG and more out of their Priuses. Me? I'll take my 45+, along with my AC and safe driving. :)

Eh' date=' hypermilers aren't generally worth listening to. At least the ones on the Prius forum I used to frequent didn't have much useful to say. They spent WAY too much time worrying about getting an extra .1 MPG out of their car so that they could brag to other hypermilers about it. Granted, some of them were getting 60 MPG and more out of their Priuses. Me? I'll take my 45+, along with my AC and safe driving. :)[/quote']

Yeah, that seems like most of the point: bragging.

Yeah' date=' that seems like most of the point: bragging.[/quote']

Eh, they at least made more sense than the subset that were mostly concerned with getting as many miles per tank as they could. Which is extra silly with the Prius, as it has a bladder inside of its gas tank. So it doesn't always get filled to a consistent level. People working on getting their tank as absolutely full as possible have been known to end up stretching the bladder, which then spews gas out once the fill nozle is removed. So much for it being a low emissions vehicle...

That's actually one of the things I like about my Prius. The AC is actually quite efficient. I lose more MPG opening the windows due to aerodynamic loss than I do by just turning the AC on. :)

Most cars are like that now. ACs have gotten more efficient so that they don't take that much power to operate, but the opening of a window is like tying a parachute to your car.

One thing that I notice is that Automatic cars are now getting better gas mileage. Haven't looked into the reason behind that. Either they have gotten better, or the measurement is done differently.

Heh. Yeah, I coast downhill around here to and from work. I've been able to pick up speed on most of 'em. Only trouble is, on one hill, as I approach, I let myself lose some speed so the car ahead of me can gain some distance (to save me from hitting my brakes), and the car behind me always gets pissed.

Heh. Yeah' date=' I coast downhill around here to and from work. I've been able to pick up speed on most of 'em. Only trouble is, on one hill, as I approach, I let myself lose some speed so the car ahead of me can gain some distance (to save me from hitting my brakes), and the car behind me always gets pissed.[/quote']

yea. I don't do it as much since I tend to drive long distance in the work vans now, but I tend to get the cruise control set a little more than the speed limit. Which means I constantly have to kill it since someone will pass me, and then slow down once in front of me.

One thing that I notice is that Automatic cars are now getting better gas mileage. Haven't looked into the reason behind that. Either they have gotten better, or the measurement is done differently.

IIRC computerization and improvements in torque converter hydrodynamics are causing this. But I still greatly prefer a manual, even over the good tiptronics I've driven. About the only time I'd really prefer an automatic is when I need my non-wheel hand to shoot back.

yea. I don't do it as much since I tend to drive long distance in the work vans now' date=' but I tend to get the cruise control set a little more than the speed limit. Which means I constantly have to kill it since someone will pass me, and then slow down once in front of me.[/quote']

Argh. WHY do people DO that?

(It's not just you.)

Or, perhaps I should say, in light of the date:

Yarr! People be bloody bilge rats! Keel haul 'em all!

IMO' date=' no. According to Disney World, the average daily temp in December is 63ºF. Farther south, and you'd have the Gulf Stream to keep you toasty; that far north and inland, even the humidity can't keep some seasonal weather at bay.

Heh. Yeah, 60's are definitely too cool for a water park. 73 (which was a number I found at a different site) is marginal and depends on water temperature. IMO water-play doesn't work well (without heated or truly tropical water) until you're above 80. And on the Washington coast, I don't care what the air temperature is, you're nuts to spend much time in the water. The water is Quite Cool.