Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

Well, "flavor" conversion is more my thing, so...

Unfortunately though, I do not have Heroes Unlimited, but in a bit I can look up Zen Combat.

Could you provide the Palladium version of Machine Awareness?

Sure. Sorry about the time gap, I tend to sleep some rather strange hours. Anywho here goes...

Mechanical Awareness

The character is aware of, and able to react to, all mechanical devices and weapons used against him, including guns, energy weapons, power armor, robots, cybernetics, bionic weapons and computers, sensors, vehicles and other devices. Basically any machine with moving parts or that uses electricity or has a computer chip.

This awareness lets the character know the very instant a targeting computer or radar locks onto him, the moment he falls into the cross hairs of a gun, when a trigger is about to be squeezed, when an energy cell charges to fire, or a cybernetic muscle tenses or a turret begins to turn. More than that though, the character can actually feel the weapons and war machines as they come online or are drawn against him. It is as if he can see them as clearly as a weapon being pointed in his face.

Range: Self and any technology used against him within a 50 ft. radius per level of experience.

Duration: Constant and Automatic

Abilities Against Weapons and Technology:

1. Negates any bonuses provided by the technology, ie, weapon, computer targeting, etc... straight unmodified roll when fired by a machine or computer enhanced.

2. The character knows what his opponent is doing the same instant that his opponent does it, enabling him to react a split second faster: +3 on initiative against attacks from modern guns and machines (bionics, robots, etc.) and +4 on initiative against artificial intelligence, computers and automated defense systems.

3. The character's gun-toting or high-tech laden opponent is at -3 to dodge the character's attacks and loses two melee attacks/actions due to time spent compensating for the superhuman's (or cyber-knight's) amazing instincts, agility, and moves from Mechanical Awareness.

4. Sense the presence of surveillance bugs, listening devices, concealed cameras and spy bots. (I'm pretty sure this one wasn't mentioned in the Zen Combat progression.)

5. The Mechanically Aware character has an automatic dodge with a +4 bonus, but only when up against technology and machine opponents and can twist, turn, duck, somersault, and otherwise dodge attacks from "guns" and advanced weapon systems without using up a melee attack/action, otherwise dodges as normal. The hero is so fast, mobile and "aware" of mechanized systems that he or she can attempt a dodge against most weapons fire.

OK, I wrote that down word for word so it would give you an idea of what it could do (and so anyone that want's to do a literal conversion has it all to work with.) I also have tons of other Palladium Books in case anyone should want any other source material.

When I look at this I kinda think some of this could be done with DCV Levels, Only Against Technological Attacks (-x). I'm thinking a Detect Technological Weapons with the Range and Sense Modifiers might also work as well. Maybe even Defense Maneuver? Well, there's my take on it, let's see if anyone else can help me out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally responding.

Here's the more literal version:

Mechanical Awareness - Detect Machines (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception (360°), Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic (+2 vs. Range Modifier) - 38 Base/Active/Real Points

Mechanical Offense - Negative CSL's (-3 DCV), Ranged (+1/2), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4); Only Versus Characters Using Machines (-1/2)

15 Base Points, 26 Active Points, 17 Real Points

Mechanical Defense - +4 DCV with HTH & Ranged Combat; Only Versus Machines (-1/2)

16 Base/Active Points, 8 Real Points

Mechanical Reflexes - Lightening Reflexes +4 DEX to act first with All Actions; Only Versus Machines (-1/2)

6 Base/Active Points, 4 Real Points

Mechanical Cancellation Dispel Combat Bonuses 20d6, All Combat Bonuses Simultaneously (+2); Only Works Against Mechanically Derived Bonuses (-1)

60 Base Points, 180 Active Points, 90 Real Points

Right now I am focusing on Bionics in my Rifts game.

I'm thinking of applying a Cost Multiplier of x1/2 because a player has to spend both Character Points and Credits to purchase them.

Similarly, I am treating Cybernetics as something akin to Equipment represented with a Real Weapon/Armor-like limitation in that it requires maintenance.

OTOH I have also considered the Independent limitation...

Any thoughts?

Right now I am focusing on Bionics in my Rifts game.

I'm thinking of applying a Cost Multiplier of x1/2 because a player has to spend both Character Points and Credits to purchase them.

Similarly, I am treating Cybernetics as something akin to Equipment represented with a Real Weapon/Armor-like limitation in that it requires maintenance.

OTOH I have also considered the Independent limitation...

Any thoughts?

Yes, I too have considered how to represent Cybernetics. Focus isn't quite right, because for the most part, Cybernetics can't simply be "snatched" away, even if you take 1 turn out of combat. It requires surgery or a pretty gnarly attack capable of cutting the cyber-part away from the meat and bone to which it is attatched. Independant isn't quite right either. I suppose it could be considered independant...if someone else gets your cyberparts, they could have them turned to work with them with a moderate skill roll by a Cyberdoc. Thats not pleasant to think about though :sick:

The Restrainable limitation seems to work okay...assuming that you run your Cyber as susceptible to EMP/electromagnetism. The visible limitation applies in many cases...and also works for very obvious cybermods that give away their function, even before they're activated (should be a common limitation for Partial and Full Borg Conversion).

The Mass limitation that is applied to Armor could work as well. It would go a long way toward representing Cyberlimbs that make the character heavier. Of course cyberweapons and armor would add mass as well. Keep track of how heavy the character gets....he could start doing damage to the surface he's standing on. Beware rickety bridges Arnold! (for the record, a character should do 2D6 Normal Damage with a Standard Effect for 2 Body and 6 Stun to any surface they're standing on. No problem if they are standing on a surface with DEF 2 or better, but as they get heavier, add 1DC for every doubling of Mass. 3 Body for 200kg, 4 Body for 400kg, 5 Body for 800kg etc. After a certain weight threshold, they're really going to have to watch where they walk! Also, leaping might pose problems...especially the landing)

More later...making dinner. Don't want it to burn!

Finally responding.

Here's the more literal version:

Mechanical Awareness - Detect Machines (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception (360°), Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic (+2 vs. Range Modifier) - 38 Base/Active/Real Points

Mechanical Offense - Negative CSL's (-3 DCV), Ranged (+1/2), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4); Only Versus Characters Using Machines (-1/2)

15 Base Points, 26 Active Points, 17 Real Points

Mechanical Defense - +4 DCV with HTH & Ranged Combat; Only Versus Machines (-1/2)

16 Base/Active Points, 8 Real Points

Mechanical Reflexes - Lightening Reflexes +4 DEX to act first with All Actions; Only Versus Machines (-1/2)

6 Base/Active Points, 4 Real Points

Mechanical Cancellation Dispel Combat Bonuses 20d6, All Combat Bonuses Simultaneously (+2); Only Works Against Mechanically Derived Bonuses (-1)

60 Base Points, 180 Active Points, 90 Real Points

That sounds like a really cool way to go about it too, I think I'll have to try that out. Sounds a bit pricey, but then again if you were to finagle the experience the character gets a little it could be done.

I'd probably put these into an order for getting them, similar to the progression they'd come in the original material, with the 20d6 on the Dispel being the cap (just starting it at half the DC's at first).

There are a few other powers in that material that I can't seem to get my head around for putting into HERO. But that'd likely be a detraction from the topic here. Does anyone know if there's a similar thread to this for HU or even Nightbane?

OK, I think I'll try to work on the Gunfighter class, and maybe the Gunslinger as well. Any input on either would be helpful (assuming there are folks out there that have the New west). I'm also thinking of trying out a write up for the Supersoldier from HU, which could be useful for a PreCat campaign or maybe an early Chaos Earth.

The biggest issues I can think of for the New West write-ups is how to do the trick shots. Another fun thing should be the enhancements for the SuperSoldier, well I should just start doin this as opposed to talkin about it.

John Preston, Gammiton Cleric (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/johnpreston.html

The Preacher (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/preacher.html

Chow-Yun Fat (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsasianaction/chowyunfat.html

Roland Deschain -The Dark Tower (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/dt/gunslinger.html

The Man With No Name - (a.k.a. Blondie, Joe, Manco) (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/man.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gun-Kata Resources:

The Killer (Wanted! - Top Cow Productions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanted_(comics)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Champions: Heroes of Vengeance

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=188242

Dark Champions: The Animated Series

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=194250

Hudson City: The Urban Abyss

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=191569

Predators

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=195686

<<>>

QM

John Preston' date=' Gammiton Cleric (Surbook's Stuff by Susano) [/b']

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/johnpreston.html

The Preacher (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/preacher.html

Chow-Yun Fat (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsasianaction/chowyunfat.html

Roland Deschain -The Dark Tower (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/dt/gunslinger.html

The Man With No Name - (a.k.a. Blondie, Joe, Manco) (Surbook's Stuff by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/asstd_movie/man.html

Gun-Kata Resources:

The Killer (Wanted! - Top Cow Productions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanted_(comics)

Dark Champions: Heroes of Vengeance

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=188242

Dark Champions: The Animated Series

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=194250

Hudson City: The Urban Abyss

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=191569

Predators

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=195686

<<>>

QM

Well, here's a few things I managed to either ad hoc together or get suggestions for...

Gunfighter

Weapons Master: Analyze Fireams & Energy Weapons

Weapon Repairs: Weaponsmith: Firearms, Energy Weapons

Quick Draw Initiative: Lightning Reflexes

Paired Weapons: Two Weapon Fighting (Ranged)

Sharpshooting Specialties: CSLs w/ Pistols or Rifles (3 or 5 pt.) for most of them, and 2 pt. Penalty Skill Levels, Naked Indirect Advantage (+1/2), Rifles or Pistols Only, OAF and other applicable advantages, Acrobatics

Reputation & Horror Factor: Reputation: Gunfighter (appropriate level for character, will likely become greater through gameplay); Reputation: Gunfighter 8- to 11- (Disadvantage) The Reputation the Gunfighter would carry with him would be a benefit and a hinderance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's something that I've been debating with myself for a while: should power armors, in this world of cyborgs, psychics, mutants, mages, monsters, and general paranormal activity, be paid for with points?

Lately I've been leaning on the side of "yes," but I can't help but see it the other way as well - if a character pays points for it, where is the line drawn for paying points for a piece of gear?

I run Rifts as a Very Powerful Heroic campaign (6e - 275 Character Points, 50 Matching Complications Points), and I have cyborgs (the closest thing to power armors and exoskeletons) pay in both points and in currency, but they get a cost break from game standard building rules (not going into that for now though).

I'm thinking of looking at it from that angle. Power Armors are different from Cybernetics only because one is a Focus while the other is Restrainable (at it's base; see above about Cybernetics in my game).

Well... let me hear from what my fellow Rifts HERO brethren have to say, may I?

For Rifts, I would make everyone pay for everything that's not trivially mundane. Cyborgs pay for their powers, Juicers pay for their powers, Glitter Boys pay for their powers, etc. Some characters may not need as many points for a by-the-book build, but they should be able to have some decent followers or vehicles to balance out the ridiculous powers the other guys have. Just because Rifts has absolutely no game balance doesn't mean Hero shouldn't.

I agree with Captain Obvious with his point of paying for everything. On the other hand, i don't see the point of making a balance between the player characters. Why should a someone spend the same amount of points for creating a "Vagabound" than somebody who want to create an "Anti-Monster? I think everybody should build his Charakter so it looks similiar to the equivalents in the Rifts books in consultation with his GM. I think the game would benefit when the players choose RCCs ond OCCs within a similiar powerlevel.

So here's what I'm thinking now: a Powered Armor character pays for their powered armor, but since I do not make anyone pay for weapons that they can pick up, I won't make them do that either.

IOW, a player who wants a SAMAS for their character must pay for the SAMAS but they do not have to pay for the rail gun, laser rifle, etc, because no one else has to either.

Similarly, because of various things that I have done with the setting, Glitter Boy pilots will not have to pay points for their Boom Guns as I have changed the nature of their relationship with it, but once again that's a discussion for another time.

Also, as per the same limitations that I impose on Cyborgs, Juicers, etc, what a player may have for their Power Armor is assumed to be predetermined as per the setting around them, but they can modify in the course of gameplay, and Power Armors do cost money as Cybernetics and the like already do, in addition to points.

I personally wouldn't make characters pay for their Powered Armor or Robot Vehicles. Technically in RIFTS, any character with the proper skill can acquire and operate PA and RV (Robot Vehicles). Now, whether or not someone starts the game with a set of Powered Armor or Robot Vehicle is another matter entirely. That I might boil down to a Perk if they want to have the vehicle/armor from the getgo (and also the perk will give them access to parts and the ability to eventually replace the armor if it is lost or destroyed)

I personally wouldn't make characters pay for their Powered Armor or Robot Vehicles. Technically in RIFTS' date=' [i']any[/i] character with the proper skill can acquire and operate PA and RV (Robot Vehicles). Now, whether or not someone starts the game with a set of Powered Armor or Robot Vehicle is another matter entirely. That I might boil down to a Perk if they want to have the vehicle/armor from the getgo (and also the perk will give them access to parts and the ability to eventually replace the armor if it is lost or destroyed)

It's also true that any character (above 3rd level IIRC) can learn magic. They wanted to create a flexible world but Rifts lacks any kind of internal balance. When paying for something in points the characters seem to have a greater ownership stake in the item. It becomes part of the character not just something they picked up. I would think in a RIFTS setting everything character defining would be bought with points. While a normal Wilk's Laser Rifle might not cost points 'Ol' Betsy' would even though it may not be more than the stock weapon it's something that will live with the character.

One of the shortfalls of this is acquiring gear through game play. Raid a Coalition base and come out with three sets of Samus power armor. The questions to ask would be will the character be keeping the gear or do they plan to sell it. If they plan on keeping it I'd ask that the player devote some portion of any experience gained (likely half) until they have completely payed off the gear. During this time the GM may add in quirks as the players learn how to use the gear and get adjusted to it.

The way I would do that is to set up an Equipment Allowance. That way they'd still be paying Some points (and therefore wouldn't be able to go nuts), and at the same time would be able to have points left over to be able to buy other skills. With this in mind I would have PA's and RV's be built and bought as Vehicles. This is My opinion on how this should be done though.

• 4 months later...

Is there anything anyone would like to see converted from RIFTS? I actually have the time to dedicate to this sort of thing right now so now's the time for requests. I hope to go back and finish the Cyberknight as well as work on other various O.C.C.'s like the Borg and Wilderness Scout (they're going to have a huge skill package)