Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

Don't go overboard' date=' I'm more interested in your take on the Walker's powers. Converting spells is a whole other project.[/quote']

Well, we would have to convert them eventually. Or not. We could just use equivalents from the Fantasy Hero Grimoire.

Designing the Ley Line Walker requires tackling the issue of P.P.E., since that is very very important to that O.C.C. I intend to do this very soon, so stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay guys. I've moved recently (again) and had to fish my RIFTS books out of moving boxes. Now that I've found that, I can begin properly researching then converting the RIFTS Magic system and the Ley Line Walker to HERO.

Stay Tuned.

Great work everyone on the forum so far....I am looking at starting a Rifts style game (Riftech actually - Robotech and Rifts) and would LOVE to have more info. So NSG, your work has been so integral in translating the system across I as wondering if you are still working on it??:)

Thanks again everyone...

PS - For those that have played, have you used points for equipment or ingame currency? How did it work out?

Great work everyone on the forum so far....I am looking at starting a Rifts style game (Riftech actually - Robotech and Rifts) and would LOVE to have more info. So NSG, your work has been so integral in translating the system across I as wondering if you are still working on it??:)

Thanks again everyone...

PS - For those that have played, have you used points for equipment or ingame currency? How did it work out?

Welcome back! I'm looking forward to your take on the Ley Line Walker. I wound up treating a lot of their powers as perks for the ability to utilize a ley line, like access to a SF communication and teleportation system.

Thanks again everyone...

Thanks for the kind words.

RIFTS is one of my all time favorite campaign settings to play in. Its a lot of fun and I'm always going back to it from time to time. I would very much like to get back to working on it, but right now I'm job hunting, so that and kids take precedence. I will try to find time to work on some more stuff in the coming days, so I hope to post something soon.

In game currency. Its works pretty well for standard equipment. It only gets a little crazy when you start throwing in things like Rune Weaponry and really high-tech stuff. But the problem is no different than that faced by Fantasy Hero gm's when it comes to giving characters powerful magic items, so its doable, the GM just has to be on their toes and aware of the possibilities before giving such items to the PC's.

I would love to see how you would write up the Rune Weapons into HERO :) Unfortunately, Rune Weapons in Rifts didn't exactly have me motivated to buy one. Very expensive for what they offered and not overly practical for most of the games i have played back in the day. I definately enjoyed the Power Armor characters we had to choose from, lol, during that time period we were Robotech fanatics and we did the conversion of Mecha and Cyclones into Rifts. I salute your project of Rifts to HERO conversion :thumbup:

I am currently reading the RIFTS Magic book. Allow me a few days to read' date=' absorb then HEROfy it. Then I'll be back to post The Ley Line Walker and other Select magic based O.C.C.'s (Atlantean Undead Slayer, Shifter, Techno Wizard etc) and a treatise on how to do RIFTS style Magic in HERO.[/quote']

I did some palladium magic classes for Hero a while ago...

The Hidden Witch from Rifts Russia - http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/pahiddenwitch.html

Tattooed Man from Atlantis - http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/patattooedman.html

Energy Wizard from Robotech: Sentinels - http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/paenergywizard.html

Here is some of what I've come up with this far for the "Basics" of RIFTS Magic in HERO. This is going to be a multi-part post and I'm starting a new job soon so please be patient (I know, I know, its been forever already)

RIFTS:Magic System

Magic on RIFTS Earth is the most influential force on the planet. Because the world is so inundated with mystic energies, it absolutely pervades every aspect of nature. Individuals who learn to tap this force gain the ability to cast spells and use the supernatural powers that have collectively become known as “Magic”. How the magic actually manifests itself in each individual varies based on belief system, method of training and individual personality as well as other (sometimes environmental) factors. Magic abilities can manifest themselves in thousands of different ways, but regardless of a particular manifestation, certain properties of magic are unchanging.

Potential Psychic Energy:

All living beings including plants and animals have Potential Psychic Energy or P.P.E. This is what scholars call the Force of Magic itself. It is an energy field that emanates and radiates from all living beings which coalesces to form an ever pervasive aura of magical energy which touches and connects all things upon, within and throughout the Earth.

However many lifeforms exist on the surface of the world, this field of magic energy is quite weak as it is spread not only across the surface of the earth, but spreads through the body of the earth itself and her oceans as well. Though while the radiating field may seem weak, massive amounts of P.P.E. tends to gather in specific points upon and throughout the earth to run in “rivers” of mystic energy, feeding raw Psychic Energy to all points of the earth’s surface. These rivers of magic are known as Ley Lines (or Dragon Lines in the East) and where two or more of these rivers meet to create great pools of magic energy, these areas are known as Nexus Points.

A magic user in close proximity (1 mile or closer) of a Ley Line can access a great amount of magical power that essentially is ever-renewing. They may “tap” the Ley Line to augment their already considerable resources and to replenish their own personal supply of Psychic Energy. A Mage in close proximity of a Nexus Point has access to vast amounts of Psychic Energy and can oftentimes perform magical feats rivaling those attributed to the Gods of ancient myth and legend.

Personal P.P.E.

All living beings have P.P.E. In RIFT’S HERO, P.P.E. is a Derived Characteristic based on adding INT, EGO and PRE together and dividing by 2(Those of you using 6th and not wanting any Derived Characteristics simply make it a new Secondary Characteristic that starts at 15pts). Thus an average character in RIFT’S HERO with 10 in all her stats would have a P.P.E. of 15 points to start. P.P.E. can be bought up independently of the Primary Characteristics associated with it (though normally only Mage characters are allowed to do so, though non-mage types can do so with GM’s permission) at a cost of 1pt of P.P.E. for .5cp (or +2 P.P.E. for 1cp, same cost as END) P.P.E. has a Normal Characteristic Maxima of 50pts. At which point it costs 1cp for +1 P.P.E.

Casting Magical Spells and other magic powers cost P.P.E. This varies depending on the power of the spell in question. Note that the P.P.E. cost of most Spells will be based on their HERO cost structure of Active Points/10 in Endurance (being represented by the P.P.E. reserve) however some spells will have an Increased Endurance Limitation applied to represent the increase in magic energy necessary to wield it. This will be most common on spells with very large areas of effect (represented with the Mega Scale Advantage) or that have very powerful effects. Spells that are supposed to represent huge and powerful Ritual Magic will cost at least X10 Endurance and possibly cost 100+ P.P.E. to cast. This is done on purpose to keep such powers in check, but it also goes with the flavor of the RIFT’S magic system. There are several ways to access more P.P.E. in order to cast powerful spells (see below)

P.P.E. Recovery:

P.P.E. Recovers normally at a rate of (CON/5 + EGO/5) per hour.

Mages may also Meditate, which requires a successful EGO roll (with bonuses or penalties based on the amount of distractions around) and replenish P.P.E. faster. Add +1 per point the Ego roll is made by to the P.P.E. recovery per hour of Meditation up to a maximum of double the characters normal P.P.E. Recovery stat. On a critical success, all P.P.E. is recovered after an hour of Meditation. On a critical failure, No P.P.E. is recovered. Too many distractions interfered with the characters mental state and causes the Psychic Energy to return to the Earth.

Other methods of replenishing P.P.E. are detailed below.

Drawing P.P.E. from living subjects:

As mentioned earlier, all living things have at least some P.P.E. Practitioners of Magic have learned ways to tap into this energy reserve when they need to. Thus a mage may tap into his or her comrades P.P.E. reserve when they themselves are low on power. Evil mages can (and will) perform “Blood Sacrifices” in order to steal the Psychic Energy for use in massive rituals.

Any character that knows the Magic (Power) skill can tap the P.P.E. of others. If the subject is willing, there is no roll to resist. The mage simply makes a Magic skill roll and absorbs 2 P.P.E. for every point they make the roll by per individual donating their P.P.E. Thus, if a mage character were going to absorb some P.P.E. from his 4 non-magic using companions, he would make a single magic skill roll and would absorb (2 x 4 characters) 8 P.P.E. per point the skill roll was made by. A character cannot be drained below 0 P.P.E. by this method. On a critical success, double the points absorbed, up to the maximum P.P.E. of the donor. Absorbing P.P.E. from a willing donor is not considered an attack action and is considered a 0 phase action (thus it can be used immediately to power a spell or magical ability)

A mage can also draw P.P.E. from unwilling subjects, but this is not easy. If the subject is unwilling, it can only be done to 1 target at a time. This is also considered an attack action and takes a full phase. The mage rolls their Magic skill roll and the unwilling target gets to make an Ego roll to resist. This is a Skill vs Skill roll. If the mage wins, he will absorb 2P.P.E. per point of difference in the skill rolls. If the target wins the contest, there is no P.P.E. lost. Note that under normal circumstances, an unwilling target can only lose 50% of its P.P.E. in this way. The mage cannot draw more than this by force. However in the case that the mage gets a critical success on his Magic Skill roll and the Targets resistance roll is a failure, the mage will automatically absorb ½ of the targets P.P.E.! Also, if the Mage critically succeeds and the target critically fails, the mage can absorb ALL of the targets P.P.E. (this is the only way to exceed the 50% limit and should be extraordinarily rare)

If the mage attempting to absorb the P.P.E. fails the roll and the target succeeds in the resistance roll, that mage cannot try to further draw that target’s P.P.E. The target has locked the mage away from his P.P.E. for the time being. At least 1 week must pass before the mage could try again. If the target critically succeeds, the mage is locked out for 1 year. If the target critically succeeds and the mage critically fails, the mage may never again attempt to absorb the targets P.P.E. by force.

A mage may also try to draw a living targets P.P.E. by doing a blood sacrifice. This requires that the target be killed and at the moment of death, the Psychic Energy is absorbed by the mage. At the moment of death, the P.P.E. of living beings is instantly doubled then the Energy dissipates and moves along to whatever plane it is destined to go. At this moment, a mage may steal this energy to use to power his or her magics. A mage who is performing a blood sacrifice (or is prepared at the moment of a living beings passing) can make a Magic Skill roll and can absorb 5pts of P.P.E. per point the Magic Skill Roll is made by up to a maximum of double the dying characters P.P.E. On a critical success, the Mage automatically gains this full amount.

The problem with absorbing P.P.E. by this method is that it doesn’t last long. The Psychic Energy dissipates quickly and there is not much the mage can do to hold on to it. Such P.P.E. dissipates at a rate of 5pts per Turn. This time can be extended by 1 turn per every 2pts made on an EGO roll by the mage. On a critical success, this time is extended to 1 minute intervals (minus 5pts per minute). Better use the energy quickly!

(to be continued)

• 7 months later...

I'm not the guru of this, but it depends on the symbiote. They tend to be complex, construction-wise. Some should be done as followers, others as equipment, others are just special effects for powers; like the Absurr Life Node (one of the simpler ones) from the Atlantis World Book: 2 points of LS vs Aging (triples the life span of the host), Danger Sense (Empathically alerts the host of danger), 25 DEF Hardened Armor (It is a megadamage creature and so is its host), 20 points of Mental Defense only vs. Emotion and Mind Control (impervious to Mind Control and Empathic Transmission), + 2 to Con Rolls (+20% to save vs. coma/death), +2 to Ego Rolls vs. Mental Powers (+2 save vs. Psionics), 10 points of PRE Defense (+5 save vs. Horror Factor), Aid to END (sudden burst of energy when tired), and +20 BOD (the life node can transfer it's own life force into the host when necessary). The host will have DF: Lump on neck and Phys Lim: Dies if life node dies.

I avoided that one on purpose, because it's complicated. If I were to write it up, I suppose it would be as a parasitical creature with a variety of Aids and Usable by Others effects it can use to help its host survive and an HKA for the tentacle bite. It's the latter that prompts me to make it a creature, it has an animal-grade intelligence and can attack on its own. The host would take it as a Follower, and gain DF: Chest Amalgamate and Phys Lim: Must feed Chest Amalgamate, and Phys Lim: Dies if Symbiote Dies. The critter will probably have something like 15 Hardened DEF Usable on Host, +3 DEX UoH, +3 CON UoH, +4 REC UoH, +1 SPD UoH, +2" Running Usable only on Host (can't use it, itself), 1-point LS vs Aging UoH, 1 point LS vs Sleep UoH, LS Immune to Disease UoH, LS Immune to Poison UoH, Aid END only for Host, and maybe Danger Sense although that could just be an effect of the beast alerting its host to normally-perceived danger. At any rate, if it has Danger Sense it doesn't need to be Usable on Host, it can just growl and writhe in warning. The CA will also have DEX equal to the natural DEX of its host +3 (it doesn't get the benefit of any DEX boost the host may get from another source), SPD 4, an appropriate HKA, and a big Phys Lim for being completely dependent on its host and unable to move on its own plus DF: Hideous Monster and maybe another small Phys Lim for being a haemophage. I hope this gives someone a head start on statting the thing out.

Could someone please convert from me the Chest Amlgamate. That is my favorite symbiote from Rifts.

While I have no idea about the nature of the Rifts creature in question (never played the system....) based on a brief reading of Doctor Agenda's response you might find this a worthwhile base to build off:

Pts. Power/Skill/Perk/Talent END

24 Junior: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 24 Real Cost) LS (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: 200 Years) (11 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +6 CON (12 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (Real Cost: 4)

and:

Dependence: Goa'uld Larva - Takes 1d6 Damage (Uncommon, 1 Hour) 15

It's from this page:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20070315174847/www.starherofandom.com/h_sg2/characters.php

and is a build for the symbiote used by the character Teal'c in the TV series Stargate: SG-1

BTW, be careful to only go to the archived version of Starherofandom.Com since the actual site appears to have been compromised by some form of virus.

As always, the original authors of the character builds should receive all credit...I just link to 'em. :thumbup:

-Carl-

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone convert the Gunfighter and Gunslinger from RIfts New West to Champions. I would from the you to do the Native American O.C.C.s from Spirit West. I would Like especially the Totem Warrior (Bear, Shark, and Alligator) done so I make my Totem Warriors playable in Champions.

Could you help me turn two of my aquatic based character from Heroes Unlimited into Champions characters? I would like the powers to be more realistic is possible. One character is humanoid hammerhead shark demigod and the other is an experiment character who was tunred into a fishman. The fishman is going to be one my pcs.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So here's a new method I conceived of converting Palladium’s MDC, SDC, and HP into HERO’s BODY, STUN, PD, and ED.

A. Palladium characters roll 3d6 for all Attributes, which averages 10.5. Not too shabby a comparison to HERO’s base 10 for Characteristics.

B. Palladium characters add 1d6 to their Physical Endurance for base Hit Points, but HERO does no such thing. Regardless, 10.5 + 3.5 = 14 HP, which will correspond to HERO’s base BODY score of 10.

C. Palladium characters vary in their starting totals, but let’s look at Rifts for a moment:

Men at Arms roll 1d4x10 for starting SDC (average 25 SDC)

Magic characters roll 4d6 (average 14 SDC)

Psychics and Scholars/Adventurers roll 3d6 (average 10.5 SDC)

This makes the average SDC value 16.5 SDC, which will correspond to HERO’s starting total of 20 STUN.

D. Mega-Damage Capacity is divided in two to get an HP + SDC total, so that will be considered.

E. HERO assumes that every +5 AP is 2x the effectiveness of the value below it. Furthermore, 2 BODY, 6 STUN, the maximum effect of 1d6 Normal Damage, costs 5 CP. This will be considered below as well.

F. Palladium does not use a subtraction mechanic like PD or ED, but here we will apply it.

G. Finally, as MDC/HP/SDC totals get higher and higher, it takes greater and greater amounts of BODY, STUN, PD, and ED to keep up, so Damage Reduction is implemented to remain sensible.

Here's the final chart taking everything into account:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 125]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]AP[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Multiple[/TD]

[TD=align: center]MDC[/TD]

[TD=align: center]HP[/TD]

[TD=align: center]SDC[/TD]

[TD=align: center]BODY[/TD]

[TD=align: center]STUN[/TD]

[TD=align: center]PD[/TD]

[TD=align: center]ED[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Damage Reduction[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x1.5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]45[/TD]

[TD=align: center]23[/TD]

[TD=align: center]11[/TD]

[TD=align: center]24[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]60[/TD]

[TD=align: center]12[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]90[/TD]

[TD=align: center]13[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+10[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]120[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=align: center]32[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+13[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]180[/TD]

[TD=align: center]36[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+15[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]240[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16[/TD]

[TD=align: center]38[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+18[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x12[/TD]

[TD=align: center]360[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17[/TD]

[TD=align: center]42[/TD]

[TD=align: center]9[/TD]

[TD=align: center]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+20[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x16[/TD]

[TD=align: center]480[/TD]

[TD=align: center]18[/TD]

[TD=align: center]44[/TD]

[TD=align: center]50%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+23[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x24[/TD]

[TD=align: center]720[/TD]

[TD=align: center]19[/TD]

[TD=align: center]48[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+25[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x32[/TD]

[TD=align: center]960[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[TD=align: center]50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+28[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x48[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1,440[/TD]

[TD=align: center]21[/TD]

[TD=align: center]54[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+30[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x64[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1,920[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22[/TD]

[TD=align: center]56[/TD]

[TD=align: center]75%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+33[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x96[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2,880[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]+35[/TD]

[TD=align: center]x128[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3,840[/TD]

[TD=align: center]24[/TD]

[TD=align: center]62[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

These are assuming straight MDC conversions. Obviously, HP and SDC characters do not have such evenly split HP/SDC ratios, and they generally have more SDC than HP, so you can add HP and SDC together for the equivalent MDC total.

Since MDC is not only 100x HP/SDC but also a Damage Threshold, 6e's "Damage Negation" Power provides a handy tool for keeping MDC more balanced in HERO rather than just giving extraordinarily high BODY and STUN scores.

Damage Negation -7 Physical DCs/ -7 Energy DCs (70 Active Points) should suffice for any Mega-Damage character, though it opens up the opportunity for more variable levels.

Personally, I don't bother with literal conversion anymore, but what are everyone's thoughts?

I like the chart a lot' date=' This will be abig help! I'm curious as to how you would handle the magic systemfrom Rifts to Hero? How would you convert the PPE, ISP and Chi? Wouldyou use a mana system like I think Fantasy hero does or just straitconversion to End?[/quote']

Yeah, I think it's imperfect, but it's good enough. Any Rifts to HERO conversion still shouldn't escape fine tuning.

As for Magic, Psionics, and Chi, it's Endurance Reserves all the way. I'd have to look into the inner workings of the system for that, but if we go with HERO's geometric scale, them every doubling shall give you +5 AP, which in 6e translates to +20 END. I don't know what the base amount should be though. I'll look into that tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm way late in the game here since this thread has been going on for years and looks to have died. But I've finally finished reading threw Vol 1 & 2 of the Hero System. And I've started on this project of conversion and I had a few thoughts the other day about doing a stat for horror factor. rather then having to roll a number when first contact with a monster. I'd use the sanity stat that vol 2 talks about for horror genra games and have monsters make an initial presence attack on first contact. Or when the PC sees something truely horrific such as a buddy being ripped apart right in front of them. I also thought this would be a nice stat to represent battle fatigue.

Im also still strongly holding on to the idea that mana should be a state in the game for mages rather then just using staight indurance as main man suggested. Though I like a lot of his ideas on this project. I was thinking more along the lines that mages would use both mana and end to cast spells it would cost less end. And also when a character dies their PPE is suppose to double just before they die so I figured mana stat would be the one that doubles and not their end.

I would like to go on record by saying that PPE, ISP, Chi are unnecessarily separate mechanics within Palladium, especially since ISP and PPE are convertible.

Let's say you give every character an Endurance Reserve of 20 END and 4 REC for free to represent how everyone has some PPE. That's worth 10 CP if I recall. Just like Everyman Skills, this can be sold off, which coincides with Rifts explaining low PPE scores as people spending them in pursuit of more mundane skills and such.

I would like to go on record by saying that PPE, ISP, Chi are unnecessarily separate mechanics within Palladium, especially since ISP and PPE are convertible.

Let's say you give every character an Endurance Reserve of 20 END and 4 REC for free to represent how everyone has some PPE. That's worth 10 CP if I recall. Just like Everyman Skills, this can be sold off, which coincides with Rifts explaining low PPE scores as people spending them in pursuit of more mundane skills and such.

This is how I would do it. PPE as an Endurance Resereve with a REC stat. I would make those stats derived (oh, a dirty word I know) from EGO and PRE. A character can be reduced to negative PPE. For every -2 PPE a character is reduced, they take 1D6 normal damage to their Body stat (no Stun though). Completely draining someone of their PPE should be life threatening and leave them very weak. And yes, killing a creature releases all of their PPE, doubling it which can then be devoured or used to power a magical effect or object (thus the practice of ritual sacrifice becomes very popular amongst the unscrupulous)