Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

Not to mention Fantasy Hero. Rifts has shapeshifting dragons as PCs, psychics, leyline walkers, shifters, rifters, elementalists, demons, etc.

Far future post-apocalyptic urban fantasy?

*hits self in forehead*

D'oh!

Fantasy HERO

Post-Apocalyptic HERO

Star HERO

Urban Fantasy HERO

Of course, since Rifts is meant to be able to cross over with anything, and since HERO is generic, technically everything is a source book for Rifts HERO!:)

Here's something for you:

Typical Juicer

Value Char Base Cost Characteristics: 145 Abilities: 115 Total: 260

25 Str 10 15 Base: 175 Disadvantages: 85

20 Dex 10 30 Points Disadvantage

20 Con 10 20 0 Dependence: Drug supply must be renewed

17 Bod 10 14 about every six months to maintain abilities

10 Int 10 0 15 Distinctive Feature: Drug Injection Harness

13 Ego 10 6 5 Phys Lim: Detox or Death (Juicer Lifespan)

15 Pre 10 5 15 Psych Lim: Motivation for Becoming and/or

14 Com 10 2 Staying a Juicer

10 PD 5 5 20 Reputation 14- as a Juicer

10 ED 4 6 30 Individualized Disadvantages such as DNPCs,

5 Spd 3 20 Hunteds, Psych Lims, and Rivalries

20 Rec 9 22

40 End 40 0

40 Stn 40 0

Cost Ability

40 Damage Reduction: 50% Resistant vs. Physical and Energy, Only vs.

Stun (-1/2)

10 Defense Maneuver IV

1 Life Support: Diminished sleep, needs 3 hours per night but can go 5

nights without sleep with no penalties

3 Light Sleep

6 Lightning Reflexes: +4 for All Actions

7 Regeneration: 1 Bod per Turn (Built-in IRMSS and Drug Delivery)

12 Running: +6" to 12" at 2 End

7 Breakfall 13-, Combat Pilot 13- for Two Vehicle Types

11 Languages (Three at 3 points each), Navigation (Land) 11-

3 Survival (Forest) 11-, Systems Op (Radio Only) 11-

5 Weapon Familiarities: Blades, Beam Weapons, 2 points Individualized

10 Individualized Skills

at 260pts, thats an expensive juicer. For a Very Powerful, Heroic game (125/125) that leaves absolutely no points with which to customize your Juicer. If one is playing Rifts as Powerful, Superheroic it leaves 90pts for customization.

One way to cut down the cost of the Juicer is to place on all of the Characteristic bonuses that come from being a Juicer, a limitation that represents one of the drawbacks of being a Juicer; a Side Effect, with the Side Effect being the Dependance Disadvantage. Lets construct it.

The drugs that power the Juicer conversion are both relatively uncommon and expensive/difficult to manufacture. Only certain places have it regularly and even then to have access to it requires a contract of some kind. The only other way to get it would be to manufacture it yourself (highly unlikely) or to ambush other Juicers and take their supply (more viable, but extraordinarily dangerous!) thus it should gain the Uncommon modifier of +15.

Next is the Effect; it definately affects the characters powers. In a bad way, so lets make the roll 11 or less for the powers to be affected. Thats +10. The character should also suffer from Weakness and Incompetence. Thats another +10.

Based on the description of what the Juicer drugs do to the juicer, it should be defined as an Addiction, rather than a simply Time-increment Dependance, so thats a +5 for a total of a 40pt disadvantage.

Now lets caclulate the total bonuses from being a Juicer:

STR(+15), DEX(+30), CON(+20), BOD(+14), EGO(+6), PRE(+5), COM(+2? Is that necessary?), SPD(+20), PD(+5), ED(+6), REC(+9) for a total of 132pts. The 40pt Disadvantage is less than half, but more than 1/4 of the power. Thus if falls into the -1/4 category. However, since the disadvantage is bought for Characteristics (that are always on) the Disadvantage is worth twice as much, so we get to apply a -1/2 Limitation to the cost of these characteristics, for a total cost of 88pts, saving a total of 44 points! That reduces the total cost of the Juicer to 216pts, leaving 34 points for additional skills/Talents.

Thus, now if the Juicer is ever deprived of his precious drugs, not only are his boosted Characteristics cut down, but his natural characteristics will slowly drop as well as his ability to perform skills. But this also gives the Juicer the ability to conquer the addiction and recover from the wasting sickness it causes via Ego rolls.

I like the Damage Reduction: Stun Only. It will make Juicers hard to put down, which is reasonable. I personally would probably limit that to 25% Damage Reduction and save 50% for Full Conversion Borgs. (they should be tougher to put down than a Juicer, its just that Juicers are much, much harder to hit!)

Speaking of being hard to hit, Juicers were almost impossible to hit in the game. The Defense Maneuver IV goes a long way toward simulating this, however I believe the inclusion of some minimum Defensive CSL's would also help in simulating this. The average Juicer should have at least +2 DCV-only CSL's (10pts) and most will buy more over the course of their (short) careers. This gives the average Juicer a DCV of 9, even when they are not expecting combat. Slap a Martial Dodge on top of this and "impossoble to hit" becomes an understatement!

Juicers are also highly mobile. The Speed of 5 coupled with 12" of base running takes care of this for the most part. However there are some other considerations as well. The average Juicer should probably posses Rapid Attack for both Hand to Hand as well as Ranged. The ability to "run and gun" is fairly stadard in their profession.

I don't like the Regeneration slot. Juicers were notoriously fast healers, but the didn't regenerate. That was an ability of Crazies, not Juicers. Enhanced REC takes care of the rapid healing, I don't think anything more is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

at 260pts, thats an expensive juicer. For a Very Powerful, Heroic game (125/125) that leaves absolutely no points with which to customize your Juicer. If one is playing Rifts as Powerful, Superheroic it leaves 90pts for customization.

One way to cut down the cost of the Juicer is to place on all of the Characteristic bonuses that come from being a Juicer, a limitation that represents one of the drawbacks of being a Juicer; a Side Effect, with the Side Effect being the Dependance Disadvantage. Lets construct it.

The drugs that power the Juicer conversion are both relatively uncommon and expensive/difficult to manufacture. Only certain places have it regularly and even then to have access to it requires a contract of some kind. The only other way to get it would be to manufacture it yourself (highly unlikely) or to ambush other Juicers and take their supply (more viable, but extraordinarily dangerous!) thus it should gain the Uncommon modifier of +15.

Next is the Effect; it definately affects the characters powers. In a bad way, so lets make the roll 11 or less for the powers to be affected. Thats +10. The character should also suffer from Weakness and Incompetence. Thats another +10.

Based on the description of what the Juicer drugs do to the juicer, it should be defined as an Addiction, rather than a simply Time-increment Dependance, so thats a +5 for a total of a 40pt disadvantage.

Now lets caclulate the total bonuses from being a Juicer:

STR(+15), DEX(+30), CON(+20), BOD(+14), EGO(+6), PRE(+5), COM(+2? Is that necessary?), SPD(+20), PD(+5), ED(+6), REC(+9) for a total of 132pts. The 40pt Disadvantage is less than half, but more than 1/4 of the power. Thus if falls into the -1/4 category. However, since the disadvantage is bought for Characteristics (that are always on) the Disadvantage is worth twice as much, so we get to apply a -1/2 Limitation to the cost of these characteristics, for a total cost of 88pts, saving a total of 44 points! That reduces the total cost of the Juicer to 216pts, leaving 34 points for additional skills/Talents.

Thus, now if the Juicer is ever deprived of his precious drugs, not only are his boosted Characteristics cut down, but his natural characteristics will slowly drop as well as his ability to perform skills. But this also gives the Juicer the ability to conquer the addiction and recover from the wasting sickness it causes via Ego rolls.

I like the Damage Reduction: Stun Only. It will make Juicers hard to put down, which is reasonable. I personally would probably limit that to 25% Damage Reduction and save 50% for Full Conversion Borgs. (they should be tougher to put down than a Juicer, its just that Juicers are much, much harder to hit!)

Speaking of being hard to hit, Juicers were almost impossible to hit in the game. The Defense Maneuver IV goes a long way toward simulating this, however I believe the inclusion of some minimum Defensive CSL's would also help in simulating this. The average Juicer should have at least +2 DCV-only CSL's (10pts) and most will buy more over the course of their (short) careers. This gives the average Juicer a DCV of 9, even when they are not expecting combat. Slap a Martial Dodge on top of this and "impossoble to hit" becomes an understatement!

Juicers are also highly mobile. The Speed of 5 coupled with 12" of base running takes care of this for the most part. However there are some other considerations as well. The average Juicer should probably posses Rapid Attack for both Hand to Hand as well as Ranged. The ability to "run and gun" is fairly stadard in their profession.

I don't like the Regeneration slot. Juicers were notoriously fast healers, but the didn't regenerate. That was an ability of Crazies, not Juicers. Enhanced REC takes care of the rapid healing, I don't think anything more is needed.

All interesting points, and of course there are many ways to build a Juicer. My only issue with the limitation is the duration...typically a drug supply for a Juicer lasts around 6 months, which seems like it would counteract most of the Dependence limitation. Maybe a focus limitation for the Drug Harness instead? RIFTS itself is pretty silent on details like how fast a Juicer's augmentation fades when deprived of drugs and what the biocomp alone does. Which just means GMs have to fill those details in. I didn't take it as a focus limitation because I figured most Juicers would be able to replace or re-supply it before their augmentation wears off, but that's a big assumption.

Defensive Combat Levels and Rapid Attack make good sense of course. I went with Regeneration because of the built-in IRMSS (Crazies have a healing trance thing going on), another way to do it would have been with a high self-only Paramedic skill--I basically went with simpler rather than best simulation.

Say, you're pretty insightful, would you be willing to take on a psi-stalker write-up? I can't spare the brainpower right now, they seem a little tricky to me. I'll rep you if you do!

All interesting points' date=' and of course there are many ways to build a Juicer. My only issue with the limitation is the duration...typically a drug supply for a Juicer lasts around 6 months, which seems like it would counteract most of the Dependence limitation. Maybe a focus limitation for the Drug Harness instead? RIFTS itself is pretty silent on details like how fast a Juicer's augmentation fades when deprived of drugs and what the biocomp alone does. Which just means GMs have to fill those details in. I didn't take it as a focus limitation because I figured most Juicers would be able to replace or re-supply it before their augmentation wears off, but that's a big assumption. [/quote']

Agreed. Utilizing the Dependance method, the GM would have to make the drugs wear out a bit faster....maybe needing a new cartridge every couple of weeks? But another use for this is the fact that Juicers are very well-known, and if the Juicer is ever captured, the first thing the captors will do is disable the drug harness thus depriving the Juicer of his vital drugs. The Dependance disad will most assuradly kick in at that point.

Defensive Combat Levels and Rapid Attack make good sense of course. I went with Regeneration because of the built-in IRMSS (Crazies have a healing trance thing going on), another way to do it would have been with a high self-only Paramedic skill--I basically went with simpler rather than best simulation.

Ah yes! I forgot about the IRMSS thing. That would definately qualify the Juicer for a low end Regen ability. My bad.

Say, you're pretty insightful, would you be willing to take on a psi-stalker write-up? I can't spare the brainpower right now, they seem a little tricky to me. I'll rep you if you do!

Absolutely willing to try it. It might take a bit for it to get up here as I got kids and a girlfriend that gets annoyed if I spend too much time online (which I do quite a bit) but check back periodically for my posts.

My attempt at a PSI-Stalker:

Psi-Stalker's stats are fairly conventional. They gain the standard 3D6 for all stats save Speed (Running in HERO) and Physical Endurance (CON). Thus I would give them a bonus of +3 to CON and +4" to Running. Also the PSI-Stalker has the skill Body Building, which automatically give a bonus to Physical Strength and SDC. Thus I would add +2 to STR and +10 to Stun. PSI-Stalkers also gain +1 Physical Attack per round, thus the HERO version gains +1 Speed.

PSI-Stalker skill package:

Language: American (Fluent) 2pts

Language: choose 1 at Fluency 2pts

Animal Handler at +1 (5)

Climbing (3)

Combat Piloting (3)

Systems Operations (3)

Tracking at +1 (5)

Stealth (3)

Shadowing (3)

Riding (3)

WF: Common Missile (2)

WF: Common Energy (2)

WF: Common Melee (2)

Martial Arts: 10pts worth maneuvers ("Expert" level)

+1 CSL with weapon of choice (3)

Choose 3 from the following list: (9)

Acrobatics, Breakfall, Concealment, Criminology, Deduction, Fast Draw, Interrogation, Lockpicking, Mimicry, Navigation, Survival.

60pts

PSI-Stalker powers and abilities:

Sense Psychic and Magic Energy:

This one is a no-brainer. Simply build it as an Enhanced Sense.

Detect Psychic/Magic Energy: Large Class of Abstract objects (10)

Discriminatory (+5), 360 Degree arc (+5), Ranged (+5), Sense (+2) Targeting Sense (+10), Tracking (+5) Active cost: 42

Limitations: Does not work in/near Ley Lines and Nexus points (-1/2)

Total Cost: 28pts.

This power allows the PSI-Stalker to sense, identify and track Psychic and Magical energies. This includes Ley Lines and Nexus points, active magical spells and Psi powers, powerful magical items and items of Techno Wizardry (while in use) and powerful supernatural creatures (gods, demons, elementals and magical constructs) with a high inherent PPE.

With this power the PSI-Stalker can tell the difference between Magical Energy and Psychic Energy, determine its level of power. He can Identify a specific Spell or Psychic power (if the Stalker is familiar with said working). He can identify Psychic and Magical signatures belonging to the originator of a Spell or Psi power. When a PSI-Stalker has identified a magical or psychic signature, he can then track the owner of that signature.

Vast amounts of Magical or Psychic energy can block this sense. While within a mile or so of a Ley Line, the PSI-Stalker is at a significant penalty (at least -3, possibly more depending on the power of the Ley Line) to sense energies. While within 5 miles of a Nexus point a similar penalty applies (at least -5). If in proximity of a Ley Line or within 1 mile of a Nexus point, the PSI-Stalker is completely blind because he will only be able to sense the energy of the Ley Line/Nexus and every other energy signature will blend into this background energy.

Sense Supernatural Beings:

In the RIFTS book, they have this as a seperate power from their ability to Sense Magic and Psychic energy. This could be written up as a seperate power in HERO, but probably isn't necessary. In any case, such an ability would look like this:

Sense Supernatural Beings:

Detect: A class of beings (5), Discriminatory (5), 360 degree Arc of perception (5), Ranged (5), +4 Telescopic (6), Sense (2), Targeting (10), Tracking (5). Active: 43

Limitation: Not while in proximity to a Ley Line or Nexus (-1/2) real cost 29pts

This power works similarly to the Detect Magic and Psychic energy, but it can sense and track supernatural beings specifically. With it the Psi-Stalker can identify specifc creatures (by type or as individuals) and track their whereabouts.

PSI Bonuses:

PSI-Stalkers are highly resistant to Psychic influence and thus they gain +10 to Mental Defense (10) and +3 to Breakout Rolls vs all Mental Powers (15).

PSI-Stalkers also have highly attuned senses and gain +2 to all of their Perception rolls (6) including their ability to Sense Magic, Psychic energy and Supernatural beings.

Feed on Psychic Energy:

PSI-Stalkers can feed on the Psychic Energy of their victims. In fact, PSI-Stalkers don't feed on normal food very often at all, merely requiring a minimum amount of physical food to maintain peak health. PPE is the essential life force required by all living beings. Being drained of one's quentisential life force can be deadly. However, a PSI-Stalker can refrain from completely draining a victim to the point of death, but many don't like to restrain themselves and will freely drain any victim they subdue to the point of no return.

PPE Vampire: Drain Body/Endurance-2D6 (10) +18 to maximum (+9) Same Time (+1/2) Returns 5pts/5minues (+1/2) 0 Endurance (+1/2) 48 Active.

Full Phase Activation (-1/2), Only works on Active Psychic/Magical beings (-1/2) Real Cost: 24

Note: With this power, the PSI-Stalker can feed on the PPE of any active Psychic or Magic user or Supernatural creature. First the PSI-Stalker must subdue the prey and keep them immobile. The power drains both Body and Endurance. Once the victims Body is drained to below 0 Body, the victim begins to die and will die unless someone administers First Aid before the point of death. The ability also drains the victims END which prevents them from activating Psychic or Magic powers that require the expenditure of END.

Also:

Life Support: Diminished Eathing. The character only needs to eat 1/week (1)

Psionic Animal Empathy:

8D6 Mind Control (40) Area of Effect (+1) 0 End (+1/2) 100 Active (Animal Minds)

Not vs Felines or supernatural animals (-1/2), Only to make animals friendly to the PSI-Stalker (-1) No Conscious Control (-2) Real Cost 23pts.

The PSI-Stalker has a natural affinity with animals of all kinds. Animals will simply accept the PSI-Stalker as one of their own kind. They will not be spooked by the stalker's presence nor will they view the stalker as a threat unless the PSI-Stalker actually attacks them. This power works exceptionally well with animals already domesticated such as horses and dogs. However for some unknown reason, felines such as great cats view the PSI-Stalker as a hunting rival and will treat them accordingly. The power also does not work on supernatural creatures of any kind.

The PSI-Stalker has not control over this particular power. It works automatically in the presence of animals. He cannot turn it off even if he wanted to (which most PSI-Stalkers wouldn't want to) but at times of stress, it may not activate or could possibly project a field of hostility toward animals in the area, though something like this should be incredibly rare (this is a GM's call and mostly in regard to the No Conscious Control limitation which is necessary to make the power affordable by the average PC!)

Minor Psychic Abilities:

PSI-Stalkers are considered Minor Psychics and as such can develop additional Psychic abilities. These abilities must be sensory in nature. Typically PSI-Stalkers have at least 3 of these minor abilities, though experienced Stalkers can have more.

Examples include:

Sense Evil

Danger Sense

Health Sense (the ability to ascertain the state of a subjects health. If discriminatory can detect diseases and disorders etc)

Clairvoyance

Clairaudience

Empathy

Intuitive Combat (extra CSL's based on RSR perception roll)

Sense the Invisible

Aura sense

• 3 weeks later...

updated.

No wonder you're beyond repute! That's a great write-up, and you put a lot of work into it when I was all RIFT/Hero conversioned out. I'll be using it, thanks!

I normally just use the nearest Hero equivelent for things, but some concepts, like psi-stalkers and juicers, are too cool not to try a little faithfulness.

I recently tried using a giant scorpion from the Bestiary and only changed its defenses: +50% and hardened. It went a little too easy. Next time, +100%, bring up the lowest of PD or ED to match the other, and some extra hardened non-resistant PD & ED to keep the Stun going. That should be about right, I think.

No wonder you're beyond repute! That's a great write-up' date=' and you put a lot of work into it when I was all RIFT/Hero conversioned out. I'll be using it, thanks![/quote']

Thanks for the kind words. RIFTS is probably my favorite setting to convert to HERO, so its not really a burden for me to work on, since I enjoy it quite a bit. It makes me remember how much I like the RIFTS setting.

I normally just use the nearest Hero equivelent for things, but some concepts, like psi-stalkers and juicers, are too cool not to try a little faithfulness.

Thats a good way to do a "quick 'n dirty" conversion. Since the advent of the 5th edition of HERO, its a lot easier to do than back in the 4th edition days when a lot of stuff was missing. But of course there are tons of stuff that have no equivalent, like a lot of the Robot vehicles etc, so there's no way around converting that stuff.

I recently tried using a giant scorpion from the Bestiary and only changed its defenses: +50% and hardened. It went a little too easy. Next time, +100%, bring up the lowest of PD or ED to match the other, and some extra hardened non-resistant PD & ED to keep the Stun going. That should be about right, I think.

Yeah, the defenses go a long way toward making something more RIFTS-like. A bit of extra Stun and Body wouldn't hurt either, but just don't go overboard. I think a lot of people underestimate non-resistant PD and ED. Just an extra 10 or 15pts over a creatures resistant defense helps considerably.

Thanks NuSoardGraphite

QM

No problemo!

I'd like to work on RIFTS stuff more often, but my primary RL profession as daddy takes precedance of course.

I'm going through the Ultimate Edition of the main RIFTS book slowly and I hope to be able to do a Glitterboy armor conversion soon. I think I did that back in the 4th edition days, but its past time for a 5th edition makeover...

It's discussions like this that make me think, "We should redesign Rifts," but then there's the litigious BS we'd have to deal with from Palladium so we all have to settle with our home brews.

I guess we are, in a way. We adjust things that are almost right, ignore the stupid things, and fill in the missing things.

Rifts HERO

Rifts (by Lord Liaden & others)

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

Writeups for the Crazy, Cyber Knight, Glitterboy, Juicer, and Dragon Hatchling:- (Almafeta)

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96757

Other approaches to MegaDamage:- (Matt's Champions Page)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28271

Palladium cybernetic implants:- (Matt's Champions Page)

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/hero-cybernetic.html

Palladium Psionic abilities:- (Matt's Champions Page)

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/hero-psionic.html

RIFTS character profession Package Deals (left-hand column, "Occupation Packages") and racial Package Deals (center column, "Racial Packages"):- (Matt's Champions Page)

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/champions.html#packages

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rifts Resources:

Rifts - Palladium Books

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=R800

Rifts - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts

Rifts - Wikia

http://rifts.wikia.com/wiki/Rifts_Wiki

QM

I guess we are' date=' in a way. We adjust things that are almost right, ignore the stupid things, and fill in the missing things.[/quote']

I know I have been.:)

I like to think that if DoJ did Rifts there would not be a bunch of world books - just the one setting book and the occasional follow-up sourcebook.

Just like with Turakian Age, Valdorian Age, Terran Empire, etc.

The Cyberknight!

The Cyberknight is one of RIFTS most popular OCC's. These characters are part Crusading Knight, part Samurai, part Shaolin Monk and part Psychic. They fight for Truth, Justice and Honor and are trusted almost everywhere (except the Coalition States of course)

Characteristic Bonuses:

+5 STR (5)

+3 DEX (9)

+3 CON (6)

+5 PRE (5)

+3 EGO (6)

+1 SPD (10)

+10 STN (10)

+3" Running (6)

cost: 57

Skills:

Acrobatics @+1 (5)

Breakfall (3)

Climbing @+1 (5)

Conversation (3)

Deduction (3)

Naviation (3)

Oratory (3)

Paramedic (3)

Riding (3)

Language: American-fluency with Literacy (4)

Language: choose 1 at fluency (2)

Sci: Anthropology (3) based on INT

KS: Demons and Monsters (2)

PS: Cyberknight (2)

Survival (3) Familiarity with Forest or Desert or Plains

Chose 3 from among the following (9):

Analyze (3), Animal Handler (3), Combat Driving (3), Fast Draw (3), High Society (3), Mechanics (3), Persuasion (3), Shadowing (3), Stealth (3), Sleight of Hand (3), Tactics (3), Teamwork (3), Tracking (3), Weapon Smith (3).

Combat skills:

WF: Common Melee Weapons (2)

Choose 4pts worth (4):

WF: Common Missile Weapons (2), WF: Small Arms (2), WF: Energy Weapons (2), WF: Common Martial Arts weapons (2), WF: Powered Armor weaponry (2), WF: Vehicular Weaponry (2), WF: Heavy Weaponry (2).

Defense Maneuver II (5)

Choose 1, 3pt Combat Skill Level (3)

Choose 1, 5pt Combat Skill Level (5) normally Hand to Hand.

Martial Arts choose 15pts worth of maneuvers (15) [see the Cyberknight Martial Training section]

Total cost: 89pts

Cyberknight Psychic Abilities:

The Cyberknight is oftentimes a Psychic, having been chosen by his or her mentor because of their inherent psychic potential when they are an adolescent. Thus, most Cyberknights (around 80%) gain the use of Psionic powers. However, ALL Cyberknights gain the ability to use the PSI-sword, PSI-Sheild and Meditation abilities common to all full fledged Cyberknights.

PSI-Sword:

The Cyberknight gains the ability to focus his internal energies through sheer willpower into a weapon of great strength and fearsome power. A Cyberknights PSI-Sword is a natural extension of the Cyberknight him or herself and cannot be taken away. It can be summoned to the knights hand in an instant and costs no Endurance to maintain.

Psi-sword:

1D6 Hand Killing Attack (15) vs Energy

Advantages: 0 Endurance (+1/2), Difficult to dispel (+1/4) 26 Active

Limitations: Restrainable (-1/2) Visible (-1/4) Real cost: 15pts.

The PSI-Sword is bought as HKA of course. Required advantages are 0 Endurance and Difficult to dispel. Other advantages can be added at the players discretion (subject to GM approval) most especially as the Cyberknight grows in experience. Appropriate advantages include; Armor Piercing (of course) AVLD (vs hardened armor and/or Force Field) Penetrating, Double Knockback, Invisible Power Effects etc.

The limitations Restrainable and Visible are also required. Restrainable represents the fact that the Cyberknight must have his arms free to use a PSI-Sword effectively and the Visible limitation represents the fact that PSI-Swords are highly visible to those sensitive to Psychic emanations. The PSI-Sword being pure focused Psychic and spiritual energy is like a beacon to those individuals capable of sensing such energy. Other limitations are possible, but not recommended.

It is highly probable that the Cyberknight would add damage to the PSI-Sword as he or she gains in experience, in fact this is encouraged. However it is recommended that the PSI-Sword be limited to either 9 Damage Classes (3D6 Killing) base damage or 90 Active Points. (which is 3D6K with +1 worth of advantages attatched)

PSI-Shield:

The Cyberknight can also generate a PSI-Shield, the defensive version of the PSI-Sword. Not all Cyberknights gain this ability, though it is fairly common. The Cyberknight focuses her internal energy with the purpose of defense, rather than offense, and the resulting shield is capable of deflecting some of the most potent attacks.

Force Field: 20pd/ed (40) Hardened x2(+1/2) 60 active

Limited coverage (-1) Ablative (-1/2) Restrainable (-1/2)

Real cost: 20pts, End: 6/phase

plus

Combat Skill Levels: Shield defensive levels +3 (15)

Restrainable (-1/2) Linked (-1/2)

Real cost: 8pts

Total cost: 28pts

This construct allows the Cyberknight to generate a forcefield that protects him/her from the frontal arc. The Knight can use the shield as cover to hide behind, or as a classic knight's shield to block melee attacks and to deflect missile weapons (provided the Cyberknight has purchased that ability). When used in a passive manner, the PSI-Shield adds +3 to the characters DCV from any sort of frontal attack. Just like with a normal shield, if the character decides to block or missile deflect, the DCV bonus can be shifted to OCV to assist with the blocking maneuver. Any attack that misses the knight because of the DCV bonus, or that was actively blocked or deflected, the damage should be rolled vs the DEF of the shield, if the damage exceeds the DEF of the shield, then the ablative limitation kicks in. Once the Ablative limitation wears down below 8 or less, the shield is "broken" and the Cyberknight must reactivate it again during his next phase.

As far as the Ablative limitation is concerned when it comes to using the shield as cover, this is pretty standard. If the activation roll fails, then the damage gets through the shield as normal. However when dealing with Block or Missile Deflection, which is an active defense, roll the Ablative activation roll before the Cyberknight makes their block/deflect roll. If the roll fails, then the knight does not get the bonus skill levels to block/deflect. This does not mean that block/deflect is imposible, just unlikely in some cases.

Meditation:

Cyberknight training

Strangely enough I never wanted to play one. The rare times I got to play Rifts, I played a Wolfen Star Marshal (Phase World II).

The character background was a Law Man pursuing a Psi Stalker who targeted Wolfen. He landed on the West Coast of North America. (Rifts® World Book 15: Spirit West™).

He learn the culture and language of the world by watching a Spaghetti Western Revival.

A Wolfen (Dog Boy) dressed like (Man with No Name) hunting down the Psi Stalker who preyed on Wolfen settlers.

Lots of fun.

QM

strangely enough i never wanted to play one. The rare times i got to play rifts, i played a wolfen star marshal (phase world ii).

The character background was a law man pursuing a psi stalker who targeted wolfen. He landed on the west coast of north america. (rifts® world book 15: Spirit west™).

He learn the culture and language of the world by watching a spaghetti western revival.

A wolfen (dog boy) dressed like (man with no name) hunting down the psi stalker who preyed on wolfen settlers.

Lots of fun.

Qm

owwwooo

• 2 weeks later...

I generally go with Multipowers.

The Spells have the following:

- Requires a Skill Roll (generall Power: [magic discipline of choice] (based on EGO)) - This simulates how a caster must believe in the magic to actually harness it.

Extra Time - Most magic takes anywhere from a Full Phase to an Extra Phase to cast according the RAW in Rifts, but I think that it is logical to scale the time to the power level of the spell: stronger spells, longer casting times.

Incantations - Rifts magic expressly requires Incantations

Gestures - As with Incantations, they also usually have a somatic component.

Just our of curiosity, how would you simulate the lost of magical ability when a Rifts mage wears heavy armor? A limitation on the power framework, or a disadvantage on the character, such as a Susceptibility (3d6 Drain on all APs in magical abilities) or a Physical limitation?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, while this isn't directly related to what I've been seeing in here so far. I've actually got a question concerning how you would go about writing up the Heroes Unlimited Power Mechanical Awareness. In case any of you are wondering it is an all in one shot of the Cyber Knight Zen Combat progression found in Coalition Wars 4 and in the Ultimate Core Book as well. Any suggestions would be helpful, and it would also be a good way to figure out that aspect of the Cyber-Knight for any GMs that want to use it.

(If specific descriptions are needed I can give them as I have a fair amount of not only Rifts but most of the other Palladium books as well, though I'm also interested in seeing Hero Conversions... at least in flavor if not texture.)