Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

I was thinking about that level.

Active Points should of course be level with Damage Classes, which means that Magic Users and Psionics are going to have a hell of a time, good and bad.

I am also thinking of using something like a Resource Pool for beginning Equipment, but not for ongoing of course.

Resource pool rules would work well for RIFTS, I think. Be more interesting to keep track of your available equipment, as well - you have all sorts of weird technology/magic/technomagic floating around.

Borgs should definitely have to pay points for their Borg stuff. If you can't remove it without killing or severely maiming the character, it's not a Focus. However, there's enough cyber-damper stuff floating around that they maybe should get -1/2 limitation on cyberware.

Our Rifts campaign that just ended started with 250 point characters (150 + 100). We got transported to someplace in space and went up to 300 points characters (+50 xp). At 250 point characters we were pretty deadly, and pretty effective. Equipment was a mish-mash. We did pay some character points, but we also received some equipment. Equipment that was not paid for in character points was pretty much considered temporary. For instance, my pistol was paid for in character points, I had it the entire campaign, the rifles we got were given to us, and by the end of the campaign we only had one of those rifles in the group.

Yeah, Cybernetics/Bionics won't be Foci, and neither will M.O.M. enhancements nor Juicer treatments; all will be Restrainable (-1/4).

I think if I can carefully guide my PCs, 250 Points should be able to squeeze in the kinds of DCs/DEF that I am giving them. Power Frameworks will be abundant.

I think 250pts is reasonable for a "standard" RIFTS style campaign. That gives characters more than enough points to emulate such uber-characters as Crazies, Juicers, Dragon-hatchlings, Cyberknights and Atlantean Undead-Slayers. It also allows for the creation of less powerful, but hyper-skilled character types such as the Wilderness Scout or Cyber-heavy characters like the Full Coversion Borg or Headhunter.

I thing Cybernetics are best handled using the Restrainable limitation and various uses of the Side Effects limitation depending on the Cybernetic augmentation in question. Side Effects could be used to give Disadvantages related to the cybernetic enhancement in question. Some examples include:

Distinctive feature for most cybernetic limbs and some cyber eye and cyber ear mods. (esp Cyber-eyes that glow in the dark, or have an active light source)

Dependance: for some limbs or mods that require frequent maintenance or they breakdown and cease to function.

Physical Limitation: Most especially for cyberlimbs that reduce sense of touch (at least -3 to touch-based PER rolls, which I think would qualify for "All the Time" and "Greatly" for a total of 20pts worth of Side Effect)

BIONIC RECONSTRUCTION:

Partial:

In this case, the characters limbs have been completely replaced and the torso has been outfitted with reinforced joints and ribcage. I would add the following bonuses to a characters natural Characteristics:

STR: +10 (No figured/Restrainable) 7pts

DEX: +5 (No figured/Restrainable) 10pts

CON: +10 (No figured) 16pts

BOD: +10 (No figured) 16pts

PRE: +5 (No figured) 4pts

SPD: +1 (Restrainable) 8pts

STN: +25 (Restrainable) 20pts

RUN: +10" (Restrainable) 16pts

114pts

Armor: 7pd/7ed (21) Limited Coverage (locations 6-9, 13-18) -3/4. 12pts

Disadvantages:

Physical Limitation: Limited Sense of Touch-Greatly Impairing, Frequently (-3 to all touch PER rolls) 15pts

Physical Limitation: Very heavy (weighs 200kg) Infrequently, slightly 5pts

Distinctive Feature: Concealabl, always noticed and causes a major reaction. 15pts

Full:

For full Bionic Reconstruction, the following bonuses should apply:

STR: +20 (No figured/Restrainable) 13pts

DEX: +10 (No figured/Restrainable) 20pts

CON: +20 (No figured) 32pts

BOD: +15 (No figured) 24pts

PRE: +10 (No figured) 8pts

SPD: +2 (Restrainable) 16pts

STN: +50 (Restrainable) 40pts

Run: +15" (Restrainable) 24pts

177pts

Armor: 10pt/10ed (30) Full Coverage (-0)

Disadvantages:

Physical Limitation: Limited Sense of Touch: Greatly, Frequently (-3 to Touch based PER rolls) 15pts

Physical Limitation: Extremely large and heavy: 2.5m tall, 400kg. Slightly impairing, Frequently. 10pts

Distinctive Feature: Not concealable, Major reaction. 25pts.

The extra STR, DEX, SPD and Running are all pretty self explainatory. The extra CON is there to make it more difficult to put the Borg into a Stunned status. The extra Body obviously represents metal replacing the Borg's flesh and enhanced mass. The additional PRE indicates the Borg's frightening appearance as does the Distinctive feature disad. The extra Stun represents the Borg's ability to take loads of punishment. There could probably be made a very good argument for giving the Borg extra End and REC to represent the Borg's ability to keep going long after a meat-bag would get tired. There should also be a Physical Limitation that represents the fact that the Borg's extra Body doesn't heal naturally (via REC) but must be repaired at a facility. (for a combat borg that sees a lot of combat, this would be Frequent and Greatly impairing)

Nice work on the Borgs above.

My only comment is:

I am operating on the premise that we have no specific interest in keeping the function of the former game system intact, instead we are converting the actual concepts behind the world(s).

If memory serves, the full conversion borgs were described as "hundreds of times faster and stronger than normal humans." (I wish I could give you a page number, but I don't even know where my RIFTS book is right now. Perhaps somebody who has the book around could find the quote and/or correct me if I am wrong about this idea)

Obviously Borgs did not play out "hundreds of times faster and stronger than normal humans" in the totally inferior game system. But they could be made that way in the HERO system. The STR part would be easy, 50 STR would equate to 256 X lifting power of a normal person.

The speed part would be harder. And, if implemented, it would probably result in Borgs which could break the sound barrier, and that concept seems kind of strange to me.

Nice work on the Borgs above.

Thanks!

If memory serves, the full conversion borgs were described as "hundreds of times faster and stronger than normal humans." (I wish I could give you a page number, but I don't even know where my RIFTS book is right now. Perhaps somebody who has the book around could find the quote and/or correct me if I am wrong about this idea)

Yes, in the description of a Full Bionic Conversion, it mentions that after conversion a full borg is 100 times stronger, faster and more durable than before.

Obviously Borgs did not play out "hundreds of times faster and stronger than normal humans" in the totally inferior game system. But they could be made that way in the HERO system. The STR part would be easy, 50 STR would equate to 256 X lifting power of a normal person.

Yeah to be more than 100 times stronger is a +35 STR (x125)

The speed part would be harder. And, if implemented, it would probably result in Borgs which could break the sound barrier, and that concept seems kind of strange to me.

Well, a normal human in Hero terms is SPD 2 with 6" of running. At full non combat this allows them to travel at 24" per turn or 14.4kph (6.5mph)

100 times that would be 650mph (very nearly mach-1!) which breaks down to SPD 6 and 50" (x4ncbt) Although in the RIFTS book, a full conversion borg could run a maximum of 192kph, which is far more reasonable.

I much prefer to take the "original concept" and apply it to Hero in a more balanced manner. The concept of a full conversion borg: A big scary guy who is tough to put down and strong enough to carry some really big guns.

Done and done!

If memory serves, the full conversion borgs were described as "hundreds of times faster and stronger than normal humans."

I tend to look at when writers say "hundreds of times stronger and faster" in a game as pretty much them trying to say "really really strong/fast" in a hyperbolic manner. They don't really mean they're hundreds of times, if they did then the Borg would be able to run a lot fast in their real stats. (In terms of reflexes they would be the godninjamasters of the game, making Juicers look like snails.) He's just trying to say it's fast and strong in a cool way, so don't worry on it too much, just go with how they feel in the other game. They're big scary tough guys, as Nu Soard says, not really meant to be all that fast.

Rob

I tend to look at when writers say "hundreds of times stronger and faster" in a game as pretty much them trying to say "really really strong/fast" in a hyperbolic manner. They don't really mean they're hundreds of times, if they did then the Borg would be able to run a lot fast in their real stats.

I've run into that same issue before with other aspects of RIFTS. I remember one GM trying to tell me that the descriptions of the Juciers were supposed to be mostly hyperbole.

But why should a game like RIFTS have to resort to exaggeration to sound cool? Is there the implied suggestion here that nobody would be interested in playing a game where characters were really "hundreds of times stronger and faster" than a normal person?

Why not have a game where the characters match up to the hyperbole? :celebrate

(In terms of reflexes they would be the godninjamasters of the game, making Juicers look like snails.)

Spiderman is not equal to Quicksilver, and Quicksilver is not equal to Spiderman. Sure, many characters can run more quickly than the web-slinger, but IMO few are actually more agile. I'd apply that same observation to Juicers and Borgs.

I'd let Borgs do tremendous running and jumping (far more than Juicers), but Juicers would still be the kings of DEX! :king:

He's just trying to say it's fast and strong in a cool way, so don't worry on it too much, just go with how they feel in the other game. They're big scary tough guys, as Nu Soard says, not really meant to be all that fast.

By the term: "how they feel in the other game," Are we talking about how Borgs are actually described, or how they play out in the Palladium system? Because I have no interest in preserving anything about the specific feel of the other game system.

Palladium :sick:

Make Borgs how they were supposed to be----HERO style! :rockon:

One of my players' ideas for a character raised a question to me: How far can one deviate from Rifts before it stops actually feeling like Rifts?

Now before you make the obvious comments on this character, hear me out, and answer the actual question.

His character is supposed to be a 'Borg, but it's not 8' tall, more like 6', but it still is a full conversion. To be honest, he's basing this off of Bryan Fury from Tekken series, but I let him get away with it because of RPG fantasy fulfillment.

The question is whether or not he should be able to do this, or if 'Borgs should be more uniform.

On a related note, but I found this character more intriguing, is a character playing a lost Green Mana wizard from Magic: The Gathering that accidentally rifted to this world and is effectively marooned as he gets used to the inherent magic.

Distinctive Feature: Concealabl' date=' always noticed and causes a major reaction. 15pts[/quote']I would consider giving all Borgs and cybernetically-enhanced/modified individuals Not Concealable Distinctive Features that require Special Senses to Detect, to represent the fact that these biological organisms have metal parts - easy to find with a metal detector. Whether or not it's obvious to casual observation would be another DF, maybe. I mean, there're a whole lot of crazy-looking guys in Rifts.

I've run into that same issue before with other aspects of RIFTS. I remember one GM trying to tell me that the descriptions of the Juciers were supposed to be mostly hyperbole.

Well, you've just met someone else who agreeds with him. :)

But why should a game like RIFTS have to resort to exaggeration to sound cool? Is there the implied suggestion here that nobody would be interested in playing a game where characters were really "hundreds of times stronger and faster" than a normal person?

Because when it was written Kevin S. was trying really hard to emphasize the over the top coolness of his new game. It was supposed to be a very different take on fantasy/sci-fi gaming, and largely was a new direction for mainstream gaming in fact. It's not a matter of "why would he need to" so much as the in-game hype he was trying to generate. RIFTS was about selling his audience a new kind of power fantasy, and it worked.

Why not have a game where the characters match up to the hyperbole? :celebrate

This here is the HERO board, I might debate the point with you, but I will never tell you how to run your game. :thumbup: If it's cool for you, go for it!

Just won't be how I do it.

I'd let Borgs do tremendous running and jumping (far more than Juicers), but Juicers would still be the kings of DEX! :king:

Even if you just convert their speed and jumping distance from the game (not stats, but given numbers), and do a rough converstion of Dex, they will be pretty impressive. Maybe not Hundreds of times, but up there. So them being able to run like the wind is perfectly reasonable.

By the term: "how they feel in the other game," Are we talking about how Borgs are actually described, or how they play out in the Palladium system? Because I have no interest in preserving anything about the specific feel of the other game system.

Well, the thing that comes to mind is that how they play out has affected a lot of the stuff written since that original RIFTS book was penned an age ago. People who have played RIFTS have an idea of how a Borg should be (myself included), we know where it feels right in the ecology of the game. Yes, some of this is from the Palladium rules, but it's also how the concept of the Palladium Borg has evolved. The rules did affect the ideas that grew out of the game, even if they didn't effect the setting.

Palladium :sick:

Make Borgs how they were supposed to be----HERO style! :rockon:

Again, you'll get no fight from me on this. :) Palladium is a deeply flawed system, and I think HERO suits the setting much better than it does.

And, to go into the other poster's question. I'd say that when you switch to the HERO system the better way to look at the RIFTS RCCs and OCCs is that those are common "types" of characters in the setting. But, beyond viewing them as common types found wandering around, they should be ignored in favor of whatever the players want to play. RIFTS is a post-apoc world gone truely mad, and beyond a few names of people and places that's the only element I'd say you need to keep to make it RIFTS.

Rob

Yeah, I think that I can do that.

I also agree that there are heavy flaws in the Palladium System, but something about SDC/MDC seems slightly integral to the characters, but luckily I only have to convert Equipment, not Characters.

I'm also thinking about having an effectiveness cap; something like Trebuchet's 20>DCs + SPD, but probably raised to something like 25 or 30.

One of my players' ideas for a character raised a question to me: How far can one deviate from Rifts before it stops actually feeling like Rifts?

Now before you make the obvious comments on this character, hear me out, and answer the actual question.

His character is supposed to be a 'Borg, but it's not 8' tall, more like 6', but it still is a full conversion. To be honest, he's basing this off of Bryan Fury from Tekken series, but I let him get away with it because of RPG fantasy fulfillment.

The question is whether or not he should be able to do this, or if 'Borgs should be more uniform.

On a related note, but I found this character more intriguing, is a character playing a lost Green Mana wizard from Magic: The Gathering that accidentally rifted to this world and is effectively marooned as he gets used to the inherent magic.

I'd go for the general setting and not worry too much about the specifics, but that is just my opinion.

And I like the Green Mana Wizard concept! :thumbup:

Even if you just convert their speed and jumping distance from the game (not stats, but given numbers), and do a rough converstion of Dex, they will be pretty impressive. Maybe not Hundreds of times, but up there. So them being able to run like the wind is perfectly reasonable.

Well, the thing that comes to mind is that how they play out has affected a lot of the stuff written since that original RIFTS book was penned an age ago. People who have played RIFTS have an idea of how a Borg should be (myself included), we know where it feels right in the ecology of the game. Yes, some of this is from the Palladium rules, but it's also how the concept of the Palladium Borg has evolved. The rules did affect the ideas that grew out of the game, even if they didn't effect the setting.

I can understand where you are coming from on this issue. Getting the feel of a game world for conversion can mean many things to many people, and the experiences during game play will probably have an impact of the "feel" of the setting for most people.

The main issue I'm still curious about relates to the concepts below (about the "hype" stuff) :

Well, you've just met someone else who agreeds with him. :)

Because when it was written Kevin S. was trying really hard to emphasize the over the top coolness of his new game. It was supposed to be a very different take on fantasy/sci-fi gaming, and largely was a new direction for mainstream gaming in fact. It's not a matter of "why would he need to" so much as the in-game hype he was trying to generate. RIFTS was about selling his audience a new kind of power fantasy, and it worked.

This here is the HERO board, I might debate the point with you, but I will never tell you how to run your game. :thumbup: If it's cool for you, go for it!

Just won't be how I do it.

I definitly do not presume to tell you how to run your game either. You know what works best for you! :)

But I am still curious about the idea of trying to make a game where the hype does not match the play experience; I just don't understand it.

It seems paradoxical to me that these ideas mentioned as "hype" sound so cool, and yet there is no interest in having them play out in the game.

Going back to part of your quote from above: "RIFTS was about selling his audience a new kind of power fantasy, and it worked." Why not give the gamers the "power fantasy" that was being sold to them?

Again, I am not trying to tell you what you should like, or how to play your game, it is more of a matter of curiousity.

But I am still curious about the idea of trying to make a game where the hype does not match the play experience; I just don't understand it.

It seems paradoxical to me that these ideas mentioned as "hype" sound so cool, and yet there is no interest in having them play out in the game.

Oh, they do sound cool...the first few dozen times you hear them. Kevin S. is hardly the first person to trott out a variant of "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap..." to describe his setting's uber-men. The problem becomes, how do you separate his uber-men from the others, who have the same descriptions? ("Who's stronger, the Hulk or Superman, mom?") Hype is nice and all, and I agree, it's cool, but in the end games are about fun, playability and balance (can you tell I'm a HERO GM? :P) not just hype. I have to make this character work, and not just work, but work in relation to the rest of the setting and my PC's. Sure, I can make sure he lives up to some of the hype, and I would (STR 100X that of a normal man? Check!) because it's a pretty easy thing to do in HERO. What I'm not going to do in HERO is give him a super high SPD or DEX just because Kevin let his imagination go a little wild when describing this character. This is why Borgs don't even have hype-matching stats in Palladium, because the author (same guy) never intended them to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not that I don't want them to live up to the hype, it's that I want them to live up to the hype and be balanced in-game at the same time. It's a matter of compromise required for a game, as opposed to a story. (Then again, it applies to stories too. Superman is "faster than a speeding bullet", but he's almost never written that way in the comics because if they did, there'd be few challenges for him. It's all about compromise.)

Going back to part of your quote from above: "RIFTS was about selling his audience a new kind of power fantasy, and it worked." Why not give the gamers the "power fantasy" that was being sold to them?

Well, I'll tell you the truth, as I mentioned above at one point, I don't run RIFTS HERO, I run DC HEROES:RIFTS, because in that system a character who is "hundreds of times faster than a normal person" is actually pretty average on the character power meter. I found DC simulates Kevin's hype a lot better than HERO does, so I chose to use it instead. My comments above are about compromising with the system you are using, HERO requires more compromises than DC did, so I chose to use DC to give my players their power fantasy. :)

Games are tools, after all, and I found a better tool for the job for me!

Rob

BIONIC RECONSTRUCTION:

Partial:

In this case, the characters limbs have been completely replaced and the torso has been outfitted with reinforced joints and ribcage. I would add the following bonuses to a characters natural Characteristics:

STR: +10 (No figured/Restrainable) 7pts

DEX: +5 (No figured/Restrainable) 10pts

CON: +10 (No figured) 16pts

BOD: +10 (No figured) 16pts

PRE: +5 (No figured) 4pts

SPD: +1 (Restrainable) 8pts

STN: +25 (Restrainable) 20pts

RUN: +10" (Restrainable) 16pts

114pts

Full:

For full Bionic Reconstruction, the following bonuses should apply:

STR: +20 (No figured/Restrainable) 13pts

DEX: +10 (No figured/Restrainable) 20pts

CON: +20 (No figured) 32pts

BOD: +15 (No figured) 24pts

PRE: +10 (No figured) 8pts

SPD: +2 (Restrainable) 16pts

STN: +50 (Restrainable) 40pts

Run: +15" (Restrainable) 24pts

177pts

Thats a very nice conversion, but what you think about giving the Borg an advantage like "can only be stunned by shots to the head"?

Oh, they do sound cool...the first few dozen times you hear them. Kevin S. is hardly the first person to trott out a variant of "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap..." to describe his setting's uber-men. The problem becomes, how do you separate his uber-men from the others, who have the same descriptions? ("Who's stronger, the Hulk or Superman, mom?")

This separation issue only becomes a problem if the descriptions are vague.

If a Mega-Juicer is described as 50 times as strong as a normal person, and a Full Conversion Borg is described as 100 times as strong as a normal person, there is no problem.

A game system tends to describe things in more detail than most descriptions in normal language. And there is always an issue of trying to stat out a character correctly. The general description probably doesn't tell you everything you need to know, but IMO the game stats should not contradict the general description.

Hype is nice and all, and I agree, it's cool, but in the end games are about fun, playability and balance (can you tell I'm a HERO GM? :P) not just hype. I have to make this character work, and not just work, but work in relation to the rest of the setting and my PC's. Sure, I can make sure he lives up to some of the hype, and I would (STR 100X that of a normal man? Check!) because it's a pretty easy thing to do in HERO. What I'm not going to do in HERO is give him a super high SPD or DEX just because Kevin let his imagination go a little wild when describing this character. This is why Borgs don't even have hype-matching stats in Palladium, because the author (same guy) never intended them to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not that I don't want them to live up to the hype, it's that I want them to live up to the hype and be balanced in-game at the same time. It's a matter of compromise required for a game, as opposed to a story. (Then again, it applies to stories too. Superman is "faster than a speeding bullet", but he's almost never written that way in the comics because if they did, there'd be few challenges for him. It's all about compromise.)

Thanks :) this part above really answers the questions I was curious about. It is more of a issue of the practicality of matching the characters to the hype than anything else.

A side note: it is obvious that the borgs in RIFTS don't match up to the descriptions given, but do you know for a fact that they were never intended to? Perhaps it is just an indication of how bad the system is.

Well, I'll tell you the truth, as I mentioned above at one point, I don't run RIFTS HERO, I run DC HEROES:RIFTS, because in that system a character who is "hundreds of times faster than a normal person" is actually pretty average on the character power meter. I found DC simulates Kevin's hype a lot better than HERO does, so I chose to use it instead. My comments above are about compromising with the system you are using, HERO requires more compromises than DC did, so I chose to use DC to give my players their power fantasy. :)

Games are tools, after all, and I found a better tool for the job for me!

DC HEROES is a cool game. :)

It can handle some pretty radical stuff.

That is one of the reasons why I like to argue for a fully exponential version of HERO. I'd like to be sure that my favorite game system can handle the games I want to run. :thumbup:

Thats a very nice conversion' date=' but what you think about giving the Borg an advantage like "can only be stunned by shots to the head"?[/quote']

That is an interesting idea; of course it assumes that one is using hit locations.

Also an attack which is powerful enough might be a pretty good shock to the whole body.

But again, interesting idea.

Only being Stunned by Shots to the Head could be simulated by additional CON with an Activation Roll pertaining to the Hit Locations 3-5

Bionic Durability: +15 CON (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (Does Not Work At Hit Location 3-5; -1/2) No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only To Prevent Against Being Stunned (-1/2) --> 30 x 1 = 30 / 2.5 = 12 Real Points

I'm still mulling over Starting Equipment rules, like maybe I should dictate it according to how effective they become with their equipment, instead of actual point costs.

A quick and dirty Juicer write-up

Aid All Physical CHAR (+2) 10d6 (Standard Effect: 30 Character Points; +0), Delayed Return Rate (Fades at 5 per Minute; +1/4), Trigger (mental command (reflex) +1/4); 1 Recoverable Charge (Recovers after last charge wears off; -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/4)

Active Points: 350 CP

Real Points: 108 CP

This grants the character, on mental reflex, +30 STR, +10 DEX, +15 CON, +15 BODY, +15 PD, +15 ED, +3 SPD, +15 REC, +60 END, +30 STUN, which makes a pretty accurate Juicer, assuming that the character has not bought up their physical CHAR already.

If you do not swing with the whole Standard Effect/1 Charge thing, then reduce it to 5d6.