The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm supposed to give a talk today and I can't even keep my eyes open. Sleep Apnea sux.

I think I've given some of my best presentations on three hours of sleep. Mostly because I'm too tired to care, so nervousness is not an issue. Of course my memories of actually giving the presentations are pretty dim, but the feedback was positive.

I've never felt comfortable in church. Ever. I endure it if I have to, but I avoid it if at all possible. It's not like the people are hostile or anything. But it's like going to a party where you don't know anyone. People might be friendly, but there's this feeling that you simply don't belong. This is a community of believers, and I am an intruder.

Well. That and the whole bursting into flame as soon as I cross the threshold thing.

I've never felt comfortable in church. Ever. I endure it if I have to, but I avoid it if at all possible. It's not like the people are hostile or anything. But it's like going to a party where you don't know anyone. People might be friendly, but there's this feeling that you simply don't belong. This is a community of believers, and I am an intruder.

Well. That and the whole bursting into flame as soon as I cross the threshold thing.

Yeah, except for the bursting into flame part, that's pretty much were I am. I went to church with Keri for a while when we first got together, because it made her happy. But as you note, I felt more and more like I was an intruder, and so I kept feeling more and more uncomfortable. Like going to the meetings of a club that I'm not a member of. No one was unfriendly in any way, far from it. But I'm not a member of the club, and I don't really have any interest in being a member. So it just didn't make any sense to keep going to club meetings. :)

Yeah' date=' except for the bursting into flame part, that's pretty much were I am. I went to church with Keri for a while when we first got together, because it made her happy. But as you note, I felt more and more like I was an intruder, and so I kept feeling more and more uncomfortable. Like going to the meetings of a club that I'm not a member of. No one was unfriendly in any way, far from it. But I'm not a member of the club, and I don't really have any interest in being a member. So it just didn't make any sense to keep going to club meetings. :)[/quote']

This is exactly what I'm going through. The difference is that I'm also having to drag the kids to the club meetings so that they too can learn the appropriate superstitions. And if I stop going then it will be a deliberate, malicious attempt to undercut their religious education, and I just can't do that particular fight right now.

This is exactly what I'm going through. The difference is that I'm also having to drag the kids to the club meetings so that they too can learn the appropriate superstitions. And if I stop going then it will be a deliberate' date=' malicious attempt to undercut their religious education, and I just can't do that particular fight right now.[/quote']

Fortunately Keri and I had that discussion before we got married. :)

I just realized how bad my birthday is gonna suck this year. I'll have dialysis that morning, then my wife and best friend will have to work all night, and my other friend will be spending time with his family, because it's also Thanksgiving.

So, yeah, I am going to be very, very alone on my birthday this year.

All the trains were late today because of the parade. SFO has every right to celebrate the Giants' victory, but those of us who work for a living have a schedule to keep. You'd think everything would be back to normal in the evening, but the commute was just as bad.

All the trains were late today because of the parade. SFO has every right to celebrate the Giants' victory' date=' but those of us who work for a living have a schedule to keep. You'd think everything would be back to normal in the evening, but the commute was just as bad.[/quote']

Yeah, my train home was stuffed to the gills with orange and black. Not really any more full than I get sometimes anyway, but a train full of commuters has a different feel than a train full of a mix of commuters and non-commuters. Those of us just trying to get home after a long day, mixed in with people who just want to keep partying.

Last night I had no sleep and only slept between 7:00-10:00 am. Tonight looks like it's going to be the same way and I'm being observed by Therapy Students tomorrow at noon. I couldn't go out tonight because I'm not OK to drive. My eyes hurt but I feel wide awake even after all my sleep medication.

I might as well stop taking this stuff. It just doesn't work anymore. I've been taking it about 20 years, maybe more. We have tried other sleep medications, but on one I did not stay asleep, on the other I slept all day the next day too.

I just want to be drug-free and able to drop off to sleep in three seconds like OddHat.

They say you can only have sleep when it's not important to you. Tonight it is.