The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

So we got a quote from the vendor for three years of maintenance.

We marked it up a couple points and passed it to the customer. They gave us a PO.

We went back to the vendor to put through the maintenance order.

Vendor says, "Sorry, that quote was for one year of the three years of maintenance. Even though the line item reads 'SA PREF AURA MAINT 3YR'. So you don't owe us $67k, you owe us $200k."

Hilarity is underway.

And that's when I call Legal.

Our place is cracking down on the parking which means we'd have to park one car right in front of the garage and one in the garage. This destroys all the convenience of having a garage. It is a one-car garage. So OddHat thinks he might give his car to our Niece who is 18 and we just both use the one car.

We will wait and see if they really mean it this time. I think they do. OddHat says going down to one car is easier than moving. There are no apartments around here with two-car garages.

We'll see what happens.

Wednesday evening I noticed some pain in my right shoulder near the site of the 2-year-old injury that caused some nerve damage that affects my shoulder, arm, wrist, pinky finger and half the one next to that. I don't know what caused it but I suspect a combination of nervous stress and repetitive stress. The pain was so severe it was causing nausea, something I had heard of but hadn't experienced until now.

I went to the V.A. Urgent Care Clinic at Mather field (formerly known as Mather AFB) where, despite the heavy traffic they were experiencing, I got in and out in about six hours, half what I expected. They gave me a shot in my Rear Admiral and gave me instructions to treat this injury and avoid repeating the experience, and sent me home.

My right arm is not as useful to me as it was before, so I'm using my left hand for the mouse right now and have my right arm in a sling. Fortunately I have learned to type one-handed (no, not because of that, but because I like to have a sandwich while I'm online)!

A lot of my stress surfaced when I was trying to get the Sims working after a series of updates rendered the game unplayable. Due to the insidious nature of my illness, what should have produced relief that the game was working again was swamped by the feeling that something would go wrong again, probably as part of a fix prescribed by EA that has flaws of its own. One of my stress-relieving activities had become stressful. I noticed I was stressed; I pushed forward with projects I had been working on (making hunam analogues of Warner Brothers and Disney characters) and noticing stressful effects but ignored them, telling myself "I'm almost done. Just a little bit longer". In hindsight, there were lots of warning signs but I ignored them, not realizing their significance.

If I don't post with much frequency as before over the bext few weeks now you know why. Once the stress is under control I should be back to my old self.

Monday. Troubleshooting. Located most likely fault after three hours of finagling. Will resort to stealing scrounging parts after lunch.

Edited to add: nothing worth scrounging in the field; just rusty old junk covered with wasp nests. Found some stuff collecting dust in the shop, bashed together parts from three old contactors to make a "new" one that might do the job. Then the lightning and thunder started...

...I just love doing 480 volt 3-phase electrical work in a thunderstorm. Really. It's fun.

Screw this I'm going home.