The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

This one isn't so much a cranky post. It's more of a "Thank God this didn't happen to my dogs" post. It seems that around 3 am today, the neighbor's dog (which is half wolf) had gotten loose and picked a fight with a racoon right outside my front gate. There are scratch marks on the pavement. Anyway, the dog got the racoon in a headlock. The dog was later seen wandering downhill by 7-11 with wounds on its legs. My family saw the racoon trying to escape to its lair with great difficulty. It was bleeding profusely.

My girlfriend let me know that her son's bike got stolen this afternoon. It had just happened, so she jumped in the car and trolled the neighborhood to see if she could find it. She made it all the way around the corner (she's one on corner lot, she made it to the one right behind her) and saw a kid with a bike. She pulled over, asked him about it, and he denied it, taking the bike (which she didn't get a good look at) into the backyard.

She goes home and goes upstairs, looks out her back window to the house and sees him hiding the bike. She goes over there, confronts the kid, gets his mother to fetch the bike, tells the kid to not be caught in front of her house again, and leaves.

She called me, bitched for 20 minutes about how now she has to make sure everything is locked up, the kid's parents are clueless, he'll be going to jail soon, etc.

My girlfriend is a sherriff. She opted not to play the badge and the "scared straight" role and would rather bitch to me.

Kinda blew my good mood this afternoon/early evening.

Then I had dinner and felt better, but man I hate it people bitch without going for the obvious solution.

DAMN. I am glad we have few raccoons in my area, more skunks and porcupines.

Any dog that was smaller might not have made it home.

This one isn't so much a cranky post. It's more of a "Thank God this didn't happen to my dogs" post. It seems that around 3 am today' date=' the neighbor's dog (which is half wolf) had gotten loose and picked a fight with a racoon right outside my front gate. There are scratch marks on the pavement. Anyway, the dog got the racoon in a headlock. The dog was later seen wandering downhill by 7-11 with wounds on its legs. My family saw the racoon trying to escape to its lair with great difficulty. It was bleeding profusely.[/quote']

We have lots of raccoons IN THE CITY here in Portland, I sometimes worry one will be in the area our dog is let out into, a small fenced area but certainly one a raccoon could be in. We don't keep any food or garbage there though, so it's most likely that even if one were out there it would just run off as soon as it even heard us open the back door. Mainly I only worry some raccoon not used to this immediate neighborhood (and hence the dog) might be wandering through and then be surprised by the dog. And the biggest worry is rabies.

I still can't get White Heat's computer to work right! After the Win2K upgrade, a number of things in her computer didn't work because of bad drivers - her modem being the most important. In my efforts to fix it by installing a generic driver, her machine has somehow lost "sight" of her wireless keyboard and mouse - and the windows boot-up gives an error because it cannot connnect with a mapped drive, which I cannot clear to finish the boot because it doesn't see the keyboard or mouse. Which means I need plug a regualr keyboard into her machine... which means I need to move her computer to where I can get to it... which means I need to move the muther $%&@!# desks again! All of which will not happen until much later tonight or tomorrow, as I have a session with my counselor at 6:30 tonite.

We have lots of raccoons IN THE CITY here in Portland' date=' I sometimes worry one will be in the area our dog is let out into, a small fenced area but certainly one a raccoon could be in. We don't keep any food or garbage there though, so it's most likely that even if one were out there it would just run off as soon as it even heard us open the back door. Mainly I only worry some raccoon not used to this immediate neighborhood (and hence the dog) might be wandering through and then be surprised by the dog. And the biggest worry is rabies.[/quote']

We have a small family of racoons using the feral cat feeding station now. Friday night I'm playing CoH and I see a racoon out the window. I tell it to shoo, it just stares back at me. I get a squirt bottle and squirt him. He growls, then wanders off, comes back in a minute. This repeats about 10 times. He then brings the kid and wife.

We have a small family of racoons using the feral cat feeding station now. Friday night I'm playing CoH and I see a racoon out the window. I tell it to shoo' date=' it just stares back at me. I get a squirt bottle and squirt him. He growls, then wanders off, comes back in a minute. This repeats about 10 times. He then brings the kid and wife.[/quote']

Lemming the water bubbler provider

You're telling me. My dogs are small (a Shih Tzu and a Lhasa Apso/Pekingese) and old (13 and 11 years). There's no way they'd survive a racoon attack. Although the Shih Tzu was sprayed by a skunk three times in 2000. He never learns.

We have a small family of racoons using the feral cat feeding station now. Friday night I'm playing CoH and I see a racoon out the window. I tell it to shoo' date=' it just stares back at me. I get a squirt bottle and squirt him. He growls, then wanders off, comes back in a minute. This repeats about 10 times. He then brings the kid and wife.[/quote']

Racoons won't be intimidated by you. They'll just stand on their hind legs and look you in the eye. It's almost as if they're saying "you want a piece of me, punk?" Foret the squirt bottle; go for a garden hose at full blast. That at least keeps the skunks away.

We have lots of raccoons IN THE CITY here in Portland' date=' I sometimes worry one will be in the area our dog is let out into, a small fenced area but certainly one a raccoon could be in. We don't keep any food or garbage there though, so it's most likely that even if one were out there it would just run off as soon as it even heard us open the back door. Mainly I only worry some raccoon not used to this immediate neighborhood (and hence the dog) might be wandering through and then be surprised by the dog. And the biggest worry is rabies.[/quote']

Because of Golden Gate Park, the city of San Francisco has its share of wildlife, including racoons, skunks, and hawks. I get them all here in San Bruno. I don't mind the squirrels though; they're kinda cure. Although the gophers and the feral cats can be a pain. My backyard is a zoo. :thumbdown

Guest Skaramine

We have deer that pass through.

And last night, the racoons raided our pear tree in the back yard.

One leapt up, grabbed a branch, and walked around, hanging from the end, trying to shake pears loose.

It was cute.

What wasn't cute was when they dumped the garbage can last month to get the last of Dad's mostaccoli and left the coffee grinds under the tin in a nice pile.

We have deer that pass through.

And last night, the racoons raided our pear tree in the back yard.

One leapt up, grabbed a branch, and walked around, hanging from the end, trying to shake pears loose.

It was cute.

What wasn't cute was when they dumped the garbage can last month to get the last of Dad's mostaccoli and left the coffee grinds under the tin in a nice pile.

Wow, the racoons did that? In San Francisco, that's a job for the homeless! Sorry, couldn't resist.

And Klytus, my condolences on your computer woes. I hate when that happens too.

Weirdly enough, Where I live at in East Tennesseewe have reverse Skunks.

As most of you know skunks are black with white stripes...ours are reversed white with black strips. on someof the skunks, the White color is a yellowish color.

Its really weird to see them.

I am sure of course that the radiation from the labs and weapons labs have nothing to do with it....

Stilll its freaky to see

As most of you know skunks are black with white stripes...ours are reversed white with black strips. on someof the skunks, the White color is a yellowish color.

I am sure of course that the radiation from the labs and weapons labs have nothing to do with it....

Stilll its freaky to see

Huh, weird, I never heard of that. Thanks.

Racoons won't be intimidated by you. They'll just stand on their hind legs and look you in the eye. It's almost as if they're saying "you want a piece of me' date=' punk?" Foret the squirt bottle; go for a garden hose at full blast. That at least keeps the skunks away.[/quote']

The problem is, the racoon was at the garden hose. Probably trying to figure it out. I think we're coming to an understanding though.

They get to finish off the cat food in the evening, I put out fresh water in the morning so Oreo can have water during the day.

Guest Skaramine

The problem is, the racoon was at the garden hose. Probably trying to figure it out. I think we're coming to an understanding though.

They get to finish off the cat food in the evening, I put out fresh water in the morning so Oreo can have water during the day.

Aww... you named the skunk. Leave him some ice-cold milk.

Oreos and milk go together. ;)

Guest Skaramine

Ah' date=' Oak Ridge, the only area in the world where you can get caught in a Deer's headlights :D[/quote']

I'm flashing back to my old Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer comics, where Rudolph had heat-vision lasers that shot out of his nose when the plot called for it.

Hmm. Flight. Heat Nose laser. Secret hideaway in the frozen north...

Nope, never would have guessed that it was a DC comic with all the Superman references. ;)

Stilll its freaky to see

If they made people smell good by spraying them, then they'd really be reverse skunks.

Guest Skaramine

I threw away all my Dangerous Operations Group stories and G.U.A.R.D. stories from my hard drive because my friends aren't accepting my apologies.

Who the hell needs stories inspired by their enjoyment of my work, then?

I threw away all my Dangerous Operations Group stories and G.U.A.R.D. stories from my hard drive because my friends aren't accepting my apologies.

Who the hell needs stories inspired by their enjoyment of my work, then?

Nah, don't do that, things change and you may yet want to gaze up on them - besides it's still YOUR work.