Your Dark Champions Campaigns

Blue

I'm not entirely certain I've been able to reconcile what I would classify as a "Dark Champions" campaign. I've read steve's notice regarding this forum and I've purchased a couple of supplements for scavenging purposes (as is my nature). But I've never purchased the original D.C. supplement.

So I ask you to tell me about your Dark Champions Campiagns. (RDUNeil's is well known lore in the Champions Forum). What have you all done for DC campaings?

Re: Your Dark Champions Campaigns

What have you all done for DC campaings?

Although I don't have the original DC material either, I can tell you what I'm planning to use it for. I've been kicking around the idea of a magi-technothriller. Basically something along the lines of a military/spy/investigation theme, with gadgets and guns, but also some very low level Powers available. Some psionics, magic, genetic manipulation, or even early cyberwear.

I guess it would be somewhere around X-Files meets LXG. World history is as we know it, but with various supernatural events hidden in the background. I figured it would work well with the general HERO theory about magic, as a natural force, waxing and waning over time.

My one concession to something Dark Champions-esque was a Suicide Squad like group (the supervillains working for Amanda Waller, not the original group). They worked, if I'm remebering correctly, for a faction of Primus that had decided to make use of the criminals rather than just leave them to rot.

This was not approved by higher ups, mind.

Is a silver-age Batman campaign set in Pittsburgh considered Champions or Dark Champions?

Oddly enough, I would count this as Dark Champions.

The original DC was about street-level vigilante crimefighters. That is, it includes Batman types, as well as Punisher-style psycho-killers.

So, your game is DC, by this definition.

On the other hand, the upcoming version of DC is apparentally going to be more like the old Danger International - a generic modern action/adventure thing. By that definition, your game would be Champions!

Obviously most Champions players will have to buy DC anyway, simply as a sourcebook. I'm going to have to buy Pulp Hero too, because of my fondness for the Golden Age. :(

I'm not entirely certain I've been able to reconcile what I would classify as a "Dark Champions" campaign. I've read steve's notice regarding this forum and I've purchased a couple of supplements for scavenging purposes (as is my nature). But I've never purchased the original D.C. supplement.

So I ask you to tell me about your Dark Champions Campiagns. (RDUNeil's is well known lore in the Champions Forum). What have you all done for DC campaings?

Wow... Lore eh? I hope that's a good thing.

As you saw with my campaign, I really tried to stretch the line between classic DI style games (I loved that stuff back in the day) and superheroic level action. I have played other DC campaigns that have been sub-campaigns of a larger supers world... and those were awesome (I should write 'em up, but I can't remember the details now) but tend to be short lived.

One thing I would say about DC vs. Champions is the lethality... not necessarily the vigilante/psycho killer intent... but DC tends to say "a gun is a dangerous thing, even in the hand of a total shmoe" whereas Champions tends to lean toward guns being small time threats.

Thus, to me, a Silver Age Batman game is Champions... but a modern Batman as seen in Detective Comics (not JLA) is DC.

YMMV

Since I associate DC with low powered supers, I've never really played a DC campaign, but since the new DC sounds like it will be taking the place of the old Danger International / Espionage which I played lots of...

Military spec ops / anti terrorist games, ran and played in several of these

Converted some James Bond and Top Secret over to DI way back

Many Twilight 2000 and Aftermath post apocalypse games, which I hope will get some coverage in DC.

Also did some Horror using Justice Inc for Call of Cthulhu type games and Danger International for Stalking the Night Fantastic type games (much less hopeless than CoC games), again hope that DC will at least touch on horror games.

I am thinking about throwing together a one shot (which may lead further). Six people from a special ops groups have since split up and gone their separate ways. Now a series of events has caused them to get together and solve the mystery. Various events in life have changed them, some have caused resentment between various members. Putting aside their differences and dusting off their skills they have to come together and find out who or what has forced them back together.

Currently working on the backgrounds and will probably post the characters for input if/when I get the chance to work on it. Being a one shot I will put together the chars for the group.

I'm running a neo-noir detective game. I.e. the hard boiled noir detective in the modern day. Its a solo game and it works nicely.

Umm, I assume you mean one PC with a GM? Seems like it would be hard to write your own mystery solo campaign, then play through it and maintain any mystery. Then again I guess it does point out one of the benefits of having multiple personalities, no matter where you go you've got a gaming group :)

Umm' date=' I assume you mean one PC with a GM? Seems like it would be hard to write your own mystery solo campaign, then play through it and maintain any mystery. Then again I guess it does point out one of the benefits of having multiple personalities, no matter where you go you've got a gaming group :)[/quote']

Yes, solo meaning one player with a game master.

I've always see DC as two possible things:

1) Street Level (lower than usual) Superheroes (regardless of campaign tone)

2) Standard Superheroes with a dark setting or lots of lethality.

My Favorite is number one.

• 2 months later...

I was in a group that used DC as well as some World of Darkness conversions to make a goth/punk/X-files/MIB campaign. We had a shapeshifter, psychic sorcerer, vampire, ghoul, technomage, Eastern mystic merc and an alien/human hybrid M.D. in our group at various times.

We took on the Catholic Church, US government, evil secret cabals, sexual preditors, secret spy organizations, supernatural totems, biker gangs, scientific thinktanks and some of the Phoenix, AZ Camarilla.

The body count was high, as well as repairs to vehicles and buildings. Neighborhoods were laid waste to protect the secret identities of the vigilantes. Each character was hunted by about 10 groups before our little party had to split IRL.

In short DC was, is and will be fun in the future.