Super Speed Accelration

Turn of Violet Speedy

she's a quickster

she has 15 DEX and 8 SPD

i'm thinking about a "super speed acceleration"

+2 SPD

cost END

side effect (3d6 EB damage to herself (burning her body))

this is too powerful? consider them in an "iron age" campaign, with PC between 3-8 SPD

Re: Super Speed Accelration

As to the power build, it is OK. I would prefer to go Cost END, Cost x4 END for a Whopping 8 END a Phase to use the Enhanced Speed rather than the 3d6 NND Self Inflicted.

The problem comes from the fact that she is going to lose a phase or two (and the END) as she "catches up" to her new SPEED. I asked Steve Long about voluntary speed enhancements and he stated that the optional speed change rules should still apply to power based mid turn speed enhancements. That means that the 8 SEGs and 10 SEGs must match up for her to move again.

Also Hyperman has a point...her DEX is too low for the Speed.

Hawksmoor

I just thought of something that might be considered, uhm, breaking the rules or at least the spirit of... what if you bypass the initial acceleration by buying a short teleport (1") with the +10 point adder of No Relative Velocity, and come out the other end, only one inch away, going full bore on your run? Is that possible with the rules?

Call it a "jump start" maneuver.

Mags

I just thought of something that might be considered, uhm, breaking the rules or at least the spirit of... what if you bypass the initial acceleration by buying a short teleport (1") with the +10 point adder of No Relative Velocity, and come out the other end, only one inch away, going full bore on your run? Is that possible with the rules?

Call it a "jump start" maneuver.

Mags

I think you would need GM approval and most house rules still require minimum point cost so you would need at least 5" of teleport before adders. If you wanted to combine the teleport with your running (or any other standard movement) both would then have to be done as 'half moves' taking your full phase to accomplish.

BTW, I took my board name from a character that I created conceptually from the very ability you describe with the additional adder of position shift so he can make 180 degree turns as well as short bursts similar to super-saiyan fights from DBZ.

BTW' date=' I took my board name from a character that I created conceptually from the very ability you describe with the additional adder of position shift so he can make 180 degree turns as well as short bursts similar to super-saiyan fights from DBZ.[/quote']

Very cool. I like this idea, Hyper-Man.

Even if you buy the minimum 5" Teleport, you don't have to use all of it since you only need 1". And if you link the Teleport to the running so the only time you can use it is when you are running, that should solve the problem. I agree this would need to be approved, because it could become very sick- especially if used by a brick to do short distance movethroughs at very high velocities.

Mags

The FAQ states that for extra Spd that costs end, you have to pay the end cost on everyone of your phases, not just the extra phases. Thus your 8 Spd character with +2 Spd costs end, would have to pay 2 end on 10 segments within the turn, not 2.

Of course if you're the GM, you can easily make the ruling that the character only has to pay end for the extra phases.

The FAQ states that for extra Spd that costs end, you have to pay the end cost on everyone of your phases, not just the extra phases. Thus your 8 Spd character with +2 Spd costs end, would have to pay 2 end on 10 segments within the turn, not 2.

Of course if you're the GM, you can easily make the ruling that the character only has to pay end for the extra phases.

Well, you could activate your 10 SPD in your phase 2 (2 END), move on Ph 3 (2 END; 8 and 10 both move on 3), move on 4 (2 END) shut it off, move on 5 & 6, activate on 8 (2 END), move on 9 and 10 (4 more END) shut it off and move on 11 and 12. That holds it down to 12 END. :jawdrop:

Before buying SPD that costs END, I would carefully consider how you envision that "costs END" working and talk it over with your GM. I suspect many would disallow the "on again off again" approach as being metagaming (ie how does Accelerator Man know precisely which phases are "extra"), myself being one of them. I remain undecided whether I would charge END every phase or only on the bonus phases, however - I fail to see why this guy should pay 20 END per turn when a character with 4 SPD, +2 Costs end pays only 12 (same point savings) and a character with 4 SPD +6 costs END should pay 60 END per turn (mind you, he gets a bigger cost break, so that's more reasonable).

All things considered, I think I'd be more inclined to take a small side effect or susceptibility on the extra Speed that costs some amount of END.

Most characters I've written up with a SPD bonus use Contuing Charges rather than Cost END. It makes bookkeeping easier and balances the game a bit more. It's far to easy to just always have that extra SPD if you can afford the END cost (making it not much of a Limitation).

Well, you could activate your 10 SPD in your phase 2 (2 END), move on Ph 3 (2 END; 8 and 10 both move on 3), move on 4 (2 END) shut it off, move on 5 & 6, activate on 8 (2 END), move on 9 and 10 (4 more END) shut it off and move on 11 and 12. That holds it down to 12 END. :jawdrop:

Nice attempt at sleaze! :thumbup:

However if the character attacks on 4 and 10, I don't think he can turn off his Spd. Attack actions end your turn, so even 0 phase actions wouldn't be allowed.

BTW' date=' I took my board name from a character that I created conceptually from the very ability you describe with the additional adder of position shift so he can make 180 degree turns as well as short bursts similar to super-saiyan fights from DBZ.[/quote'] :think: I can see how DBZ:RPG (fuzion compatible) resolve this question...:think:

BTW, i think i'll emove this "acceleration". Too much problem. better buying some other power (a "super run", an attack power or even boost her Dex above 20...)

Nice attempt at sleaze! :thumbup:

However if the character attacks on 4 and 10, I don't think he can turn off his Spd. Attack actions end your turn, so even 0 phase actions wouldn't be allowed.

All he has to do is **not** pay the END to keep it going. He gets a phase in 10 from both 8 and 10 speed anyway. But poor phrasing on my part to say "attack and turn off", which implies an ordering I wasn't actually intending.

Actually, I'm a bit down on the whole "costs END for characteristics" issue anyway. Does it cost END to have it, or to use it? After all, +10 STR, 2x END, costs no END unless you exert the STR. When do you "exert" Speed? And, at the same time, PD Costs END, is pretty much a Force Field, and it costs END whether you actually use the PD or not.

Speed's probably the toughest stat - is the character USING his +2 speed in phases he would have had anyway? Easily applied with Spd 8 and 10, where all SPD 8 phases are also enjoyed by 10. Tougher with, say, 3 and 4 SPD. I think the FAQ answer is probably the best one - you have the SPD, so you pay END for it. But I think that also makes tactics of switching on and off to preserve END technically correct, albeit a possibly sleazy approach. :tsk:

But you wouldn't fault me (I hope) for only using my +10 REC, costs END, when I plan to take a recovery. So should you fault me for only using my +2 SPD, costs END, when I will get an extra phase? NO - I'm just making prudent decisions in accordance with the game mechanics. YES - I'm metagaming the speed chart, not making choices my character has any basis for making.

All he has to do is **not** pay the END to keep it going. He gets a phase in 10 from both 8 and 10 speed anyway. But poor phrasing on my part to say "attack and turn off", which implies an ordering I wasn't actually intending.

Actually, I'm a bit down on the whole "costs END for characteristics" issue anyway. Does it cost END to have it, or to use it? After all, +10 STR, 2x END, costs no END unless you exert the STR. When do you "exert" Speed? And, at the same time, PD Costs END, is pretty much a Force Field, and it costs END whether you actually use the PD or not.

Speed's probably the toughest stat - is the character USING his +2 speed in phases he would have had anyway? Easily applied with Spd 8 and 10, where all SPD 8 phases are also enjoyed by 10. Tougher with, say, 3 and 4 SPD. I think the FAQ answer is probably the best one - you have the SPD, so you pay END for it. But I think that also makes tactics of switching on and off to preserve END technically correct, albeit a possibly sleazy approach. :tsk:

But you wouldn't fault me (I hope) for only using my +10 REC, costs END, when I plan to take a recovery. So should you fault me for only using my +2 SPD, costs END, when I will get an extra phase? NO - I'm just making prudent decisions in accordance with the game mechanics. YES - I'm metagaming the speed chart, not making choices my character has any basis for making.

Well, technically the +10 REC costs end only would work with post 12 recoveries. Normal recoveries don't work unless you're not spending end. But I do see your point.

Personally, I see 20 end a turn for +2 SPD to be excessive. I would favor paying the extra end only on the extra phases received. The fact that you can't take recoveries during the turn is enough of a penalty.

Personally' date=' I see 20 end a turn for +2 SPD to be excessive. I would favor paying the extra end only on the extra phases received. The fact that you can't take recoveries during the turn is enough of a penalty.[/quote']

One way you can do it is to buy the +2 SPD -1/4 Costs End only to activate

with a -0 Limited Duration: 1 turn. This way, you have to spend the 2 end

every turn, but only once a turn.

One way you can do it is to buy the +2 SPD -1/4 Costs End only to activate

with a -0 Limited Duration: 1 turn. This way, you have to spend the 2 end

every turn, but only once a turn.

You have to get GM permission to do that. Costs End only to activate normally applies only to Body affecting powers such as Shape Shift, Growth, or Density.

You have to get GM permission to do that. Costs End only to activate normally applies only to Body affecting powers such as Shape Shift' date=' Growth, or Density.[/quote']

Don't you need GM permission to buy characteristics as a power (ie with a limitation) anyway? I'd just put a minor side effect on it (loses 4 END per turn). Probably a -1/4 limitation, but 4 END a turn for 2 extra phases really isn't that much - and your base SPD doesn't change the cost.

Buying a "workaround" like this is just making SPD cheaper. If it doesn't limit the character at all to have those Limitations, then he should get no bonus. Just how limiting is paying 4 END a Turn? Not very. You might find a better, though not as cheep, workaround simply applying Only In Combat at -0.

I just don't see being able to have extra SPD whenever I want at a negligible END cost as any different as just having that much SPD all the time.

I just don't see being able to have extra SPD whenever I want at a negligible END cost as any different as just having that much SPD all the time.

Now if you want a 'real' limitation to put on speed try activate on 14- on speed 12. The Character will probably get about 8 phases but he won't know exactly when.

Of course the activation roll every phase would get tedious VERY quickly. :ugly:

Buying a "workaround" like this is just making SPD cheaper. If it doesn't limit the character at all to have those Limitations, then he should get no bonus. Just how limiting is paying 4 END a Turn? Not very. You might find a better, though not as cheep, workaround simply applying Only In Combat at -0.

Well, I don't know what your experience has been, but mine is that END is a finite resource. An extra 4 END per turn can definitely have an impact. A major impact? maybe, maybe not - but the limitation is only -1/4. Now does this guy with extra Speed have other powers that cost END? He now uses them on 2 extra phases. What happens when he recovers from -3 STUN? Suddenly, END is a much more finite resource, isn't it?

So I would say yes, it is sufficiently limiting to merit a -1/4 at least. Is it enough for -1/2? Well, probably not, since spending 2 END every phase would be -1/2 for "costs END" by the FAQ.

Now if you want a 'real' limitation to put on speed try activate on 14- on speed 12. The Character will probably get about 8 phases but he won't know exactly when.

Of course the activation roll every phase would get tedious VERY quickly. :ugly:

Rolls are always fun!! But my bonus +1SPD, on activation, will be rolled only once per turn, at the start, to determine whether the extraphase will be there. [Now my +1 DEX gets a roll every phase...]

Remember, if you have SPD that costs end, you can't take any recoveries within that turn. You can only take it on post 12. That is certainly enough of a limitation to be worth -1/4, or even -1/2.