Doom Patrol Champions

Metaphysician

Re: Doom Patrol Champions

Doom Patrol seem to me to also be an answer to the X-Men and Spider-Man... their powers are limited and fairly focused compared to the JLA and most other previous DC heroes, although they are definitely "super", unlike the Challengers or Sea Devils. They are all considered freaks to some extent, like mutants are at Marvel and unlike the JLA were (even though Aquaman probably should have been a Doom Patrol character and not a JLAer, which was a plot element in the JLA Year One mini by Mark Waid a few years ago).

Doom Patrol, as we're talking about it here, seems to mirror Marvel's early Silver Age very well. In fact, I imagine them spouting dialogue that could just as easily have come from the FF and relying on teamwork (rather than individual strength) just like the original X-Men.

The Metal Men, on the other hand, are an interesting case: This group couldn't have been from Marvel's Silver Age; their power levels are too high and the differentiation between them so small (except perhaps for Mercury) that they would have been more apt to serve the Mad Thinker than be a good guy group. I don't think that any of the early Marvel heroes could have matched them in power level, aside from Thor and the Hulk; and the relative power level difference between Marvel and DC at that time (and nowadays to some extent) puts them firmly in the DCU to my mind.

Don't forget the Metal Men's psych disads, which could be almost crippling. And Tin was more like a mixed DNPC and Follower.

The Metal Men' date=' on the other hand, are an interesting case: This group couldn't have been from Marvel's Silver Age[/quote']I feel there are similarities between the X-Men and the Metal Men. Though the MM don't face prejudice from the great mass of humanity like the X-Men do, they are treated pretty shabbily by their creator Dr. Will Magnus.

I loved the Metal Men, and it's too bad the people who tried to revive them several years ago didn't. I still would like to see them again. Hell, give them to me! If Hawkman's origin can be straightened out, there's still a chance!

I loved the Metal Men' date=' and it's too bad the people who tried to revive them several years ago didn't. I still would like to see them again. Hell, give them to me! If Hawkman's origin can be straightened out, there's still a chance![/quote']

They straightened out Hawkman? I thought he was one of the first ret-con casualties of Crisis. At one point they just wrote him out of continuity entirely. Can you tell me how they got him back on track? This ought to be interesting.

I don't know if I would stat him out. I'd almost just say he was a plot device and leave it at that.

Although...let's see....

Lots of points in teleport and mind control (cuz' didn't folks not care that their street kept moving?) ...wow...already getting a headache....

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I just joined and was doing searches in the forums, came across this and thought I'd run my mouth about it, er I mean give a well informed and thoughtful commentary.

I would imagine the biggest problem about running a Doom Patrol campaign similar to the issues written by Grant Morrison would be the fact that Mary Jane (the multiple personality disorder girl) saved them 99% of the time. She always happened to have a personality the happened to have a power that happened to be suited to get them out of whatever jam they were in. I always thought that was pretty weak myself. Woudl it be fun to play if one player kept saving everyone?

Also it might be fun to read about those adventures but probably not fun to play. If you fleshed out the issues into adventures in game terms the players would be getting lead around by the nose a lot and rarely would they get to let off steam by punching and smashing and blasting things. I don't recall any epic super fights in those issues. I mean could you really have them fight the De-Creator? or roll dice to hold hands with the Bortherhood of DaDa and sing a song to stop the 5th horseman of the Apocolypse from escaping from the painting that ate Paris (Which they did)?

Also to the poster who said:

"Flex Mentallo, "You forgot the power to create escape-proof spirit jars""

Flex Mentallo did not say that, The Quiz (from the aforementioned Brotherhood of DaDa) said that when she captured Negative Man's spirit. The Quiz had the power to have any super power you could not think up so people were always shouting out super powers when they fought her, and she had to be creative with her powers. She also was insane and obsessed with germs and wore a enviornmental suit with question marks on it.

Well that's it for me getting my geek on.

E

Has any body noticed that the Original Doom Patrol (minus The Chief) Made its debut on TEEN TITANS this past weekend? I caught it Monday by accident and it was the rubber half of a two -parter. It centered on Beast Boy and it appears that the Brotherhood of Evil will be a season long headache for the Teen Titans because all their villians had gathered togather at the end to await the Brain's next move.

Yeah. Teen Titans seems to be paralleling JLU by opening its season with some pulpy/Silver-Age-toned episodes and the idea of "lots of villains banding together to give the heroes maximum grief".

Also, Mento really came off like kind of a dick in that one (more in the first half than the second)...

They straightened out Hawkman? I thought he was one of the first ret-con casualties of Crisis. At one point they just wrote him out of continuity entirely. Can you tell me how they got him back on track? This ought to be interesting.

Johns tied in the reincarnation angle of the golden-age Hawkman with the ET silver age Hawkman by explaining that Prince Khufu was exposed to Nth Metal (a Thanagarian alloy) which has several unique properties including causing Khufu and Shayera to go through an endless cycle of reincarnation. The Absorbascon (a Thanagarian invention that allows the user access to all knowledge) is powered by it.

What's good about the reincarnation angle is that it helps explain similarities like the fact that both Hawkmen's secret ID was/were Carter Hall.

My older brother long since created his version of Negaman, used him and even eventually retired him. He tried to base him as close as possible on the real Negaman. His powers were.. impressive. I suppose if anyone's interested, I could ask him and see if I could find the character sheet.

Has any body noticed that the Original Doom Patrol (minus The Chief) Made its debut on TEEN TITANS this past weekend? I caught it Monday by accident and it was the rubber half of a two -parter. It centered on Beast Boy and it appears that the Brotherhood of Evil will be a season long headache for the Teen Titans because all their villians had gathered togather at the end to await the Brain's next move.

Yeah, I saw this as well. It was actually a pretty cool episode of TT (which I normally dont care for overly much).

I was never a DC fan when I collected -- I liked the lower powerlevels and grit of Marvel and Valiant, and some off series like Dark Horse Comics Greatest World so my DC-fu is weak. I'd never heard of the Doom Patrol before.

The SFX for the mental guys powers were awesomely well done. I was thinking -- thats a guy with a VPP for mental powers fer sure; he was constantly whipping out a new stunt. The Negative Man power was really interesting as well; very cool example of a character with a desolid energy body and a damage shield APW that just does move thrus.

Was also kind of funny to see the character called "elastigirl" -- I was thinking that they were infringing on the Incredibles IP, so I went and looked up the DP and found out they've been around since the early 60's, predating the X-Men by a few months, and she was on the team.

Great episode.

Here's what I can't wait to see...as in the TT cartoon Elasti-Girl, a.k.a. Rita Farr and Mento were members of the 'patrol in the original series and were the adopted parents of Beast Boy! Now, since Byrnes reboot, there is no mention of Mento (perhaps refit to be the teenage girl) and Rita is crushing on Robotman (see? the Brain is the sexiest organ!). So, what happens when Gar Logan meets up with them in this new comic continuity?

Also, I found it very funny that, in the cartoon, 'Negative' man's lines were all delivered deadpan, and pessimistic, i.e.; negative. What a hoot.

Oh, and on the campaign thing, the idea of the Doom Patrol originally was that because they were 'freaks and misfits' they may as well help out the rest of humanity, even though they were shunned by them. ( I still have no idea why Rita considers herself a freak, though...)

Was also kind of funny to see the character called "elastigirl" -- I was thinking that they were infringing on the Incredibles IP, so I went and looked up the DP and found out they've been around since the early 60's, predating the X-Men by a few months, and she was on the team.

Yeah-- in fact, while DC gave Disney/Pixar the permission to use the Elastigirl name for the movie, they did not give permission to use it in any merchandising, which is why toys, t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc. refer to Helen Parr or "Mrs. Incredible."

Man, I loved the concepts behind Crazy Jane and The Brotherhood Of Dada. I wish thay were (and could) somehow be in play again.

Oh, and The Chief's refit as The Head. Keep in mind what General Imortus always was *****ing about...The Chief stold his imortality serium. For a while at least, we know he used it.

( I still have no idea why Rita considers herself a freak, though...)

John Byrne did a special one shot before the second launch of The DOOM PATROL that included the original bunch and the second group that had contained Robotman plus Celcius who claimed to be the widow of the Chief and its new leader in order to find him, Tempest, who was a Vietnam deserter who could project powerful force blasts,and Negative Woman, who could house the negative form that belonged to Larry Traynor, the Negative Man. Cliff Steele sumised that all that "all American girl" imagry pounded into her psyche was what made her a misfit in her mind even though she looked perfectly normal.