Unusual power-advantage combos...

Delthrien

What kind of unusual powers have people created, either to fit a concept or just to do something different? The powers don't have to be particularly useful in combat (or particularly useful, even).

My favorite to date is an Entangle, Does Knockback... for no readily apparent reason... it just struck me as funny when I wrote it...

Charlie

I don't know if they're unusual, but...

I bought a bow and arrows as an HKA (OAF arrows), Ranged, and bought just the Ranged Advantage with OAF Bow. So without the bow, it's a normal HKA that you can stab someone with. With the bow, you can also shoot it at range. (Being able to add your STR to the damage when shooting it at range simulates the "pull" of the bow.)

I built a Superman-style character's Super-Breath as a Dispel vs. Fire or Gas SFX, Does Knockback, Double Knockback.

I built a Spider-Man-style character's ability to create a "Web Shield" that was gradually chipped away but could be recreated by expending more web fluid as an Entangle with Personal Immunity. When she wants to use the shield, she simply Entangles herself! It doesn't hinder the character since she has Personal Immunity to it, but anyone else attacking her has to get through the Entangle's DEF and BODY.

Some are nasty some are not:

a NND with Explosion, sticky, continous, on continuing charges, range based on str, and foci (essentialy the effect lingered in there lungs after being exposed and out of the area)

Flash sense of Touch (read the rules on loosing touch, they are nasty), does KB, Explosive, double KB

Dispell KB Resistance, Does KB, Double KB, 0 end

Clairsentience, with extra range, and limited range and must target location, the F/X was that the character had to fire a little probe thingy (it had the limited range), after it was in location the character could go off to up to the maximum range of the power...

Originally posted by Arthur

Forewarned is four-armed.

Been there, done that. I actually had a character with that combination of Powers once -- though I'd played him for about four months before I came up with the pun.

Of course, there's always the old saw of buying Luck with the Costs END Limitation just so you can Push your Luck.... :D

Getting back to the original topic, though, I once created a villain with Invisibility with Invisible Power Effects. I hadn't been going to actually do it until an interesting Special Effect occurred to me: you can see that he's there, but he appears to be standing a couple of feet to the side of where he actually is. Thus, in combat, if you scored a hit on him you actually missed, but if you rolled a miss you had a 50% chance (left/right) of actually hitting him.

Of course, this was way back under 3rd Edition; under 5th Edition I'd construct the same character using Linked Images. :)

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

I like 1d6 COM Aid, Ranged, Does Knockback myself.

My villain Demo has Ressurection Regeneration and a VPP for Demolitions. He doesn't mind blowing himself up if it takes out a couple of good guys at the time.

The first one sounds like something from a Tex Avery cartoon.

On a more serious note, I designed a character called Blast Radius, a direct knockoff of Nitro from Marvel. He would explode, turn into vapor, then come back together. Did it something like this:

18d EB, Explosion, Personal Immunity.

Desolidification, automatically happens when he explodes, no actions while desolid, can be affected as vapor, comes back together in a number of segments = (dice of explosion/3).

Don't remember the exact power construct of Desol. I think most of it can be done with standard Power Modifiers. The parts that couldn't, I just make something up.

You know, I think a lot of players feel constrained by the listed Power Modifiers, as though they can't have something if it's not listed. Meadow muffins! The modifiers are there to SERVE us, not constrain us. If the effect you want is not listed, find one that is similar, define it, then tweak the modiifer value if necessary.

I have to say the weirdest combination I had made was my first attempt to make a "Damage" (from DC) one-off. There was rule-twisting involved, but it *almost* worked (albeit not on the actual scale of DC's damage; this was for a PC).

I've found, when comparing notes, that more of my characters tend to have Dispel and Extra Limbs than most. Extra Limbs is a common Speedster trick in my campaigns, for example. As for Dispel... that's a rant for another day :D

I made a powered armor character once with a fire-suppression system: Change Environment, everything to 98.6 degrees fahrenheit. Quite harmless to humans. It was defined as an energy field which converted the excess heat into radio waves. I suppose with 5th ed. I could also put in a hefty minus to radio-based senses.

Originally posted by Arthur

Forewarned is four-armed.

HA! Gonna be using that one soon, I just know it!

A couple more that I've used in the past:

Fantasy HERO game magic item -- Amulet of Thundrous Entrance: a 10" Teleport with a linked electrical explosion (w/hole). The explosion went off upon arrival. In 5th ed., I'd add linked Sound images to boost the "Thundrous" aspect...

Not originally my idea (but was still fun) - PRE (PRE attack does knockback): Possessed by the hen-pecked villain's wife. Modelled loosely after Harry Mudd's wife "Stella" from the original Trek series. Can you tell the game lacked a certain degree of seriousness? ;)

4D6 NND EB, Defence is deafness, Ego 20+, more than 10 points of Mental Defence, or being under the age of 8. The Evil Sonic Cannon: "I love you, you love me..."

Cosmetic Transformation: Human to Human with the word 'IT' in blue letters on the back of his head. (We were dealing with CLOWN. Those who know the character this most affected know that it was not the person who got hit with the transform.)

Entangle linked to a Cosmetic Transform: Very Sticky Polymer. No effect if you have Resistant PD through a focus... or go naked. ("I break out of the entangle!" "Your costume goes with it!")

2d6 AE Select Fire Flash, trigger: when doors are opened: machines hit people in the face with a pie when they walk through a door, the AE to reflect that it's in the entire base. (Yes, it's a serious tweak, but it was what was needed.

(Gadgeteer. Psych Lim: Prankster. Avoid these things together if you can.)