Master List of Distinctive Features?

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

Okay... I've been getting a couple of requests per week to start up a Master List of Distinctive Features.

Me, I think its a bit too open ended... but I am willing to do so if there's actually going to be a market for such a thing... and as long as I get contributions to help me fill the damned thing out.

So... is there an interest in me putting it together? And can you guys help fill the list?

Re: Master List of Distinctive Features?

Okay... I've been getting a couple of requests per week to start up a Master List of Distinctive Features.

Me, I think its a bit too open ended...

I'd have to agree with that point- there are an infinity of ways to be 'distinctive'.

The one advantage of a list might be a quick look-up of points for each 'category'...

eg., Distinctive Aura, Body/Build, Eyes, Face/Features, Hair, Hands and/or Feet, Internal Organs, Noise, Odour, Texture, etc.

Could be worth having, as a quick reference. I know the Master Lists of Physical/ Psychological/ Social Lim's are valuable resources...

The one advantage of a list might be a quick look-up of points for each 'category'...

eg., Distinctive Aura, Body/Build, Eyes, Face/Features, Hair, Hands and/or Feet, Internal Organs, Noise, Odour, Texture, etc.

Another possibility would be to break the list down by the Sense(s) used to perceive the Distinctive Feature. The Sight category, as the most common and largest, would undoubtedly need to be broken down further into subcategories.

One could easily start with some those already published in the books

That might help a little, but not much. To date, all of our major published settings have tended to assume "there are lots of weird-lookin' folx around," and thus have made comparatively little use of DFs compared to many campaigns. For instance, Dr. Silverback doesn't have DF, and I suspect in many campaigns he would. At best, published books can probably only provide a weak springboard for a project of this sort. ;)

Wow, flashback! I once had a player submit a character with a distinctive feature of "Terminally Cool".

I believe I asked him, "Terminally? So he's going to die from it? Like James Dean or Jim Morrison?" To which he answered, "Probably."

I let him have it, since I knew he'd never show up for a game. And I was right.

That might help a little' date=' but not much. To date, all of our major published settings have tended to assume "there are lots of weird-lookin' folx around," and thus have made comparatively little use of DFs compared to many campaigns. For instance, Dr. Silverback doesn't have DF, and I suspect in many campaigns he would. At best, published books can probably only provide a weak springboard for a project of this sort. ;)[/quote'] Actually, I was thinking of the genre and Ultimate books. And I really only consider them a good starting point, not a wealth of ideas -- the Hero community at large fits that category well enough. :)

Mutant

Telepathic

Demonic/Angelic

Mystic

Energy Signiture (think Radioactive Man)

Demonic Appearance

Extra/Multiple Limbs

Inhuman/Alien Appearance

Dwarf

Short

Tall

Giant

Beautiful

Glowing Eyes

Extensive Tattoos

Noticible Scaring

Unusual Colored Skin

Deformity

Missing Limb

Unusual Colored Hair

Cybernetic

Robotic

Guest Worldmaker

That might help a little' date=' but not much. To date, all of our major published settings have tended to assume "there are lots of weird-lookin' folx around," and thus have made comparatively little use of DFs compared to many campaigns. For instance, Dr. Silverback doesn't have DF, and I suspect in many campaigns he would. At best, published books can probably only provide a weak springboard for a project of this sort. ;)[/quote']

Surprisingly, in my campaign Doctor Silverback wouldn't have a DF because he's a gorilla... he'd have a SocLim.

Guest Worldmaker

I think that he should have the DF: Looks like a gorilla, in addition to the SocLim.

Maybe a DF: Talking Ape, but not just DF: Ape

Guest Worldmaker

Assuming such a list is actually done (I'm hoping!)' date=' where would it be posted?[/quote']

With the other Master Lists.

Guest Worldmaker

Ah! A new link. I thought the site when down ages ago. Turns out my link was just out of date.

I'm guessing you had the Angelfire site in your bookmarks. We moved to our own server about three years ago.

I meant noticibly scared.

such as a major burn victim a la Baron Zemo or Dr Doom

Well, if I were a major burn victim, I'd certainly be scared at first.

Like Zemo and Doom, however, I'd probably sublimate my fear into anger at the world.

:D

(You know we're messing with you, right? You mean "scarred"...)

While a DF Master List would never be able to cover everything, since it was pointed out there are an infinite number of choices...

I can certainly see a use to help some people figure some out, I've seen too many characters with DF: Tattoo or DF: Scar on cheek. Especially if the list contained writeups for some not so common ones.

If the project were to be greenlighted I'd certainly try and contribute as much as I could think of.

While a DF Master List would never be able to cover everything, since it was pointed out there are an infinite number of choices...

I can certainly see a use to help some people figure some out, I've seen too many characters with DF: Tattoo or DF: Scar on cheek. Especially if the list contained writeups for some not so common ones.

If the project were to be greenlighted I'd certainly try and contribute as much as I could think of.

Try DF: Major Anime Looks (Big eyes, spikie hair (proably of an unatural color), big mouth when screaming but otherwise small, develops a big sweatdrop in his hair when embareoused, nosebleeds when aroused, ect...)

I'm guessing you had the Angelfire site in your bookmarks. We moved to our own server about three years ago.

Actually, no. It was the current server, but a page that no longer existed on it (I'd post the actual url, but I've already deleted it). I've had it in my Favorites for about a year and just never got around to checking to see if the link was bad or the site. Now I know!

Guest Worldmaker

Actually' date=' no. It was the current server, but a page that no longer existed on it (I'd post the actual url, but I've already deleted it). I've had it in my Favorites for about a year and just never got around to checking to see if the link was bad or the site. Now I know![/quote']

Yeah, we moved the pages to their own subdirectory (and are now converting everything to .php) so you might have to do some looking.