A Circle Of Rings

Lord Liaden

Hey, gang, I could use a little help from the myth-mavens among ye:

As part of a proposed campaign story arc, I'm attempting to compile a list of prominent magic rings from myth and folklore of any tradition. I'm deliberately avoiding rings created by modern fantasy novelists.

So far I have:

Odin's self-replicating ring Draupnir;

Solomon's seal-ring with which he summoned and controlled the jinn;

Andvari's cursed ring that was the downfall of Siegfried;

The jinni-conjuring ring worn by Aladdin.

Can anyone add anything to this list? I'd be grateful for any assistance. :)

Re: A Circle Of Rings

Don't forget the Ring of the Nibelung' date=' immortalized in Wagnar's opera, which may or may not have been the same thing as Draupnir (depending on which version of the myth you listen to)...[/quote']

That's Andvari's ring. It was made to find gold, but Andvari put a curse on it.

From non-traditional sources, of course, there are the rings of power from Tolkein.

Pop culture gives us the two halves of the ring of Shazzan. (I loved that show).

The Green Lantern has one.

Then there's the magical ring worn by the Burger King, one twist of which can transport you to Burger King.

Keith "But I doubt these are what you're looking for ;)" Curtis

PS. On a more serious note, was Draupnir a finger-ring? Most of the illustrations I have seen show it to be substantially larger.

There's also a Russian fairy tale about a boy and a magic ring. It's got a lot in common with Aladin, a lot in common with Jack & the Beanstock, and a lot in common with some Norse myths.

http://russian-crafts.com/tales/mag_ring.html

Bill.

Hmm... seems rather derivative. I'll have to look into that more, but thanks for posting it. :)

There is a magic ring in Ariosto's Orlando Furioso. I seem to recall that it makes you invisible if you put it in your mouth' date=' and that it is first encountered in the possession of a lecherous monk.[/quote']

Definitely have to look for that one.

Indeed. Draupnir was an arm-ring' date=' the kind worn around the biceps.[/quote']

Works for me either way - size doesn't matter. ;)

You might consider Socrates' "theoretical" ring of invisibility' date=' too (actually, it's Glaucon's, but it's Socrates' story).[/quote']

Would you remember offhand in what work this is mentioned?

Thanks for the help, folks - please keep 'em coming. :hail:

Look here at rings noted in fable.

Agramant's ring This enchanted ring was given by Agramant to the dwarf Brunello, from whom it was stolen by Bradamant and given to Melissa. It passed successively into the hands of Rogero and Angelica (who carried it in her mouth). (Orlando Furioso, bk. v.)

The ring of Amasis The same as the ring of Polycrate (q.v.).

The Doge's ring The doge of Venice, on Ascension Day, used to throw a ring into the sea from the ship Bucentaur, to denote that the Adriatic was subject to the republic of Venice as a wife is subject to her husband.

The ring of Edward the Confessor It is said that Edward the Confessor was once asked for alms by an old man, and gave him his ring. In time some English pilgrims went to the Holy Land, and happened to meet the same old man, who told them he was John the Evangelist, and gave them the identical ring to take to “Saint†Edward. It was preserved in Westminster Abbey.

The ring of Gyges (2 syl.) rendered the wearer invisible when its stone was turned inwards.

The ring of Ogier, given him by the Morgue de Fay. It removed all infirmities, and restored the aged to youth again. (See Ogier.)

Polycrates' ring was flung into the sea to propitiate Nemesis, and was found again by the owner inside a fish. (See Glasgow Arms.) {Note: the story is in herodotus' Histories--Agemegos}

The ring of Pope Innocent On May 29th, 1205, Pope Innocent III. sent John, King of England, four gold rings set with precious stones, and in his letter says the gift is emblematical. He thus explains the matter: The rotundity signifies eternity- remember we are passing through time into eternity. The number signifies the four virtues which make up constancy of mind- viz. “justice, fortitude, prudence, and temperance.†The material signifies “wisdom from on high,†which is as gold purified in the fire. The green emerald is emblem of “faith,†the blue sapphire of “hope,†the red garnet of “charity,†and the bright topaz of “good works.†(Rymer: Foedera, vol. i. 139.)

Reynard's wonderful ring This ring, which existed only in the brain of Reynard, had a stone of three colours- red, white, and green. The red made the night as clear as the day; the white cured all manner of diseases; and the green rendered the wearer of the ring invincible. (Reynard the Fox, chap. xii.)

He must have got possession of Reynard's ring He bore a charmed life; he was one of Nature's favourites; all he did prospered. Reynard affirmed that he had sent King Lion a ring with three gems- one red, which gave light in darkness; one white, which cured all pains and wounds, even those arising from indigestion and fever; and one green, which guarded the wearer from every ill both in peace and war. (Alkmar: Reynard the Fox, 1498.)

Solomon's ring, among other wonderful things, sealed up the refractory Jins in jars, and cast them into the Red Sea.

From non-traditional sources, of course, there are the rings of power from Tolkein.

Pop culture gives us the two halves of the ring of Shazzan. (I loved that show).

The Green Lantern has one.

Then there's the magical ring worn by the Burger King, one twist of which can transport you to Burger King.

If we're using non-traditional sources, then how can we forget the awful 70's saturday morning cartoon, "The Thing" (based *very* loosely off Marvel Comics' Thing, from the Fantastic Four)? Who here remembers the famous battlecry -- "Thing Ring, do your thing!" ;)

Bill.

(Showing my age (but not my wisdom) with this reference...)

It's in The Republic. The story is told by Glaucon of a ring that belonged to Gyges.

http://www.freeessays.cc/db/26/hmd198.shtml

http://plato-dialogues.org/tetra_4/republic/gyges.htm

Another link to the story of Gyges' ring.

I also remember reading something about a "Ring of Eucrates" in ancient greek/roman stuff somewhere but I can't recall what it did or where I read about it. I know it had something to do with prostitutes. Not the ring that is, but the story. :snicker:

If we're using non-traditional sources, then how can we forget the awful 70's saturday morning cartoon, "The Thing" (based *very* loosely off Marvel Comics' Thing, from the Fantastic Four)? Who here remembers the famous battlecry -- "Thing Ring, do your thing!" ;)

Bill.

(Showing my age (but not my wisdom) with this reference...)

I always thought Benjy Grimm should have been hospitalized with all those rocks smashing into him. But then I never understood Iceman's method of ice-ing up in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. He should have been entombed. "Uh, Spidey? Could you break this ice? I uh, forgot I don't have super strength."

Keith "no more de-railing, I promise" Curtis

In the Mabinogion, mention is made of the Thirteen Treasures of Britain (here is another link). Depending upon your source, one of them is given as the Ring of Luned or the Ring and Stone of Eiluned, which actually comes from the story (in the same book) The Lady of the Fountain. My version (a 1932 edition translated by Lady Charlotte Guest) renders it's power so:

"Take this ring and put it on thy finger, with the stone inside thy hand; and close thy hand upon the stone. Ans as long as thou concealest it, it will conceal thee."

http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Annulus.html

"There are several celebrated rings with magic powers, mentioned by the ancient writers, as that of Gyges which he found in a grave (Plat. de*Republ. ii. p359,*&c.; Plin.*H.N.*xxxiii.4), that of Charicleia (Heliod. Aeth. iv.8), and the iron ring of Eucrates (Lucian, Philops. 17)."

Keith "no more de-railing' date=' I promise" Curtis[/quote']

Even further back in the dim recesses of my mind, there was another bad cartoon from the (early 70's? late 60's?) called "Hercules." Herc was really strong, but when he got into trouble (every episode) he pulled a magic ring out of his pocket and held it up to the sky. A bolt of lightning struck it and he became as strong as 10 men. He had a satyr sidekick named... Pip or Puck or something. Anyone else remember that?

Bill.

(It's vaguely related to the thread, so it's not really derailing...) ;)

Ring of Invisibility

I can't remember if this was in Norse Mythology/Greek Mythology (specifically Hermes). I could be remembering RoI from the Thor comics.

LL a Ring of Invisibility seems so ordinary, that it would have had to appeared in some literature before. Maybe you could invent a history for it.

Could I also make a suggestion for those PCs who misuse the rings mentioned (if the rings could be used by the PCs): a ring can easily become a noose. ;)

• 1 month later...

Depending upon your source, one of them is given as the Ring of Luned or the Ring and Stone of Eiluned, which actually comes from the story (in the same book) The Lady of the Fountain. My version (a 1932 edition translated by Lady Charlotte Guest) renders it's power so:

"Take this ring and put it on thy finger, with the stone inside thy hand; and close thy hand upon the stone. Ans as long as thou concealest it, it will conceal thee."

This is probably the ring given to Yvain in Chretien's Yvain: The Knight of the Lion, which you should all go read right now. :)