Hero Needs Reviewers!!

Re: Hero Needs Reviewers!!

I'll consider this. While I can express myself fairly well (barring typos), I have a tendancy to gloss over important details and often forget other details entirely. In other words, I might actually have to reread something in order to offer a review.

I'll probably write a little test review for my own benefit and decide if I think it's worthy of public consumption. I'll get back to ya.

There is an axiom: "Writing is re-writing"

I'd consider it too, If not for -

Full Time School

Full Time Job

Full Time Family

(Pick one) :)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning,

Are you awake? Points 1 & 4 are coherent (undirected but still coherent even if I am unaware to whom you are speaking) however, the rest of your post eludes my understanding. Is this an inside joke that I am unaware of?

Finally, what is a "not a fan" doing hanging out on the fanboy message boards? That is like going to a movies that you dislike or eating at a resturant that serves food you dislike.....you can do it, but why?

Randy - my tired brain may be the the cause of failure to understand any point contained in the above post.

My last paragraph should explain it.

I did a search a while back for my name (looking for an old website of mine, a "vanity" search--and found two, even IIRC three references to me and superheroes on Hero boards. Since I'm not a Hero supporter (anymore) I found it amusing.

Perhaps you misunderstood the ".." which is a sarcastic representation of how I've been named and painted. Only barely resembling fact.

Someone posted a thread on Pyramid about the request for reviews- I came to read it.

My points are pretty much pointing out my experiences as a "non" fan via RPGNet and rec.games.frp.super-heroes. Frankly, Hero fans come off rather poorly elsewhere on the net, and I was encouraging people to review products, not harass people who may also be fans of Hero (who want solid reviews not gushing ad-copy.) Fans who may very well post criticisms of products or reviews which fail to accuratly point out a products flaws as well as its strengths.

Perhaps you should re-read very carefully what I said. It is in plain English after all. :thumbup:

I'm guessing that once my review goes live on rpg.net, it will be here:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10547.phtml

But that's a guess.

I've got plans to write some more reviews as well.

Over at EnWorld, I've submitted product info for Star Hero, Fantasy Hero Grimoire one and two, Monsters Minions and Marauders, and Turakian Age.

Well' date=' I've recently done two reviews for RPG.net (Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds and Mystic World...hopefully up next week). I'll be doing some reviews on my own site of various Supers books as well.[/quote']

TCLynch, LOVE the new avatar, I'm a huge Zorak fan!

Okay gang' date=' gather round for a second, cause I've got a proposition for y'all. As you may have noticed, Hero doesn't get it's fair share of reviews in online fora. Oh, Butch Curry takes care of us over at Gaming Report most of the time, and Ken drops the odd Hero project into "Out of the Box," [/quote']

Most of the time? I'm only one man, dammit, not a machine! ;)

Actually, I'm on hiatus from reviewing for a couple of months, minimum, except for a few products still in my queue. (I'm actually putting my money where my mouth is and WRITING a book instead of just writing ABOUT them. Wish me luck... I'm gonna need it!)

As it happens, though, I'm going to be taking the time to review a few books 'just for fun', as opposed to books I've been assigned to work on. Two of which are Champions and the UNTIL Superpowers Database. :)

I want in on this, but I haven't bought any books published within the last year (and still catching up). There's a few I might bump up on my list, like the Ultimate Brick possibly, so that I can read and review it.

I am worried about flooding the net with a sudden rush of Hero System product reviews, especially immediately after a thread on the Hero System Discussion Boards offering free books in exchange for reviews. I understand that that's kinda how it actually works (for example: Bill Muller, Phoenix Arizona's film critic, never pays to see a movie, and sees most of them a day or two before general release), but some fans might not.

I want in on this, but I haven't bought any books published within the last year (and still catching up). There's a few I might bump up on my list, like the Ultimate Brick possibly, so that I can read and review it.

I am worried about flooding the net with a sudden rush of Hero System product reviews, especially immediately after a thread on the Hero System Discussion Boards offering free books in exchange for reviews. I understand that that's kinda how it actually works (for example: Bill Muller, Phoenix Arizona's film critic, never pays to see a movie, and sees most of them a day or two before general release), but some fans might not.

I'm trying to finally do some serious HERO writing now, so am passing for the moment. By the time this turns up again or I remember it, I would hope that it would be appropriate to have more new reviews.

As a HERO customer I'd like to see reviews of StarHERO and Dark Champions, it would be nice to generate some interest in StarHERO so we could get it back on track (more books) and to get the word out on DC and hopefully get some of the related supplements onto the to do list.

Ask, receive. You know how it goes. ;)

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_7763.html

Do you mind if reviews are written for products that have already been reviewed? In other words, I read a review of the Turakian Age on rpg.net but I know that web site always prints multiple reviews. But does it matter to you? I'd be interested in reviewing the FH Grimoire or the revised 5th edition rulebook (when it comes out). Heck, I'd even do the current 5th edition if you're interested.

I started reviewing books on RPGNet because I too felt that Hero didn't have a large enough presence on the site. Generally what I want to say on a topic gets covered by others, but I felt there was a gap in Hero stuff. My reviews don't get much in the way of direct comments on-site, like most Hero reviews, but I feel I'm doing some good, and I like to write, so what the hell.

These are my reviews to date. I'd be quite happy to do more, but I had decided to only cover recent books that I managed to pick up shortly after release. I own plenty more :)

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9367.phtml

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10434.phtml

In any case, thanks for the generous offer, and I hope I make the cut. Either way, I'll keep reviewing.

I started reviewing books on RPGNet because I too felt that Hero didn't have a large enough presence on the site. Generally what I want to say on a topic gets covered by others, but I felt there was a gap in Hero stuff. My reviews don't get much in the way of direct comments on-site, like most Hero reviews, but I feel I'm doing some good, and I like to write, so what the hell.

These are my reviews to date. I'd be quite happy to do more, but I had decided to only cover recent books that I managed to pick up shortly after release. I own plenty more :)

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9367.phtml

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10434.phtml

In any case, thanks for the generous offer, and I hope I make the cut. Either way, I'll keep reviewing.

You are in email me you address and I'll put you on the Dark Champions list

T.

I know it's some sort of industry standard, but I frankly don't like the idea of people getting HERO materials for reviewing those works. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'd like to think of reviews being more selflessly motivated, even if overtly biased. Please pardon my raining on the parade, and move along. All that being said, I would still like to do a review or two down the line, just don't need to discuss getting books for it.

All that being said, I support HERO calling for reviews from the faithful as a grass roots marketing effort.

Probably a mixed bag. If you're someone like one of the staff reviewers for Enworld you get over 90% of what comes out for d20 free - and you simply cannot read it all and are likley to not like most of what you read.

After a while, you'll burn out.

If one company that you like is giving you free product to review it, it does risk sounding of bias.

That's what Sidhain was warning of earlier. If these reviews read with too much fandom in them, no one will take them seriously. When writing a review, you need to make sure you're detailed and honest with -both- the shortcomings and strengths of the product. If you can do that without with being openly harsh and crass or overly patronizing and worshipful you will stand a chance of not only bringing the product to the attention of the people who want something like it, you might also manage to improve the next book Hero releases.

People dismiss 'fanboys' as much as they dismiss 'slammers'. Look at amazon.com, where you can rate the reviews, and note what kinds of reviews people say were useful to them.

You can be a fan, get a complimentary book, and still do an honest positive review that is taken seriously. But you will have a harder job of convincing an outsider - and it does start with being honest about how you got the book.