World Not Known Cover Mock Up Available for Preview

Steve Trustrum

Re: World Not Known Cover Mock Up Available for Preview

Truly sweet cover. Dramatically rendered, and intriguing for the diverse cowering figures - almost has a Wild Cards feel. :thumbup:

I hadn't realized that this would be triple-statted for the "big three" supers games. If the success of Omlevex is any indication, this is definitely the way for a small publisher to go. I look forward to this, and wish you lots of luck.

(Man, it's a great time to be a supers gamer!) :D

My understanding from Steve's remarks is that it's an RPG supplement detailing a world in which superpowered beings have existed throughout history, and which chronicles the impact that they have had on the course of history. There hasn't been much detail given, though... I'd say it's time for Steve to start changing that.

Here's the website for Steve's company, Misfit Studios. The fullest description of the setting I've yet found comes from one of his posts on the website message boards:

The World Not Known is the world that might have been if the entire stretch of mankind's history had been filled with super beings and the supernatural. Now, thie WNK is not your typical comic book setting where they say magic and the like has been around forever, yet they live in a world pretty much the same as our own. No, the WNK is going to use real social, psychological, and anthropological theories to travel from Point A in history, where we introduce the catalyst for our alternate history, right up until today, Point B. What would today's world be like if magic, psionics, and superbeings were real and were as well known to historians as the legions of Rome or the emancipation of the American slaves. You'd have the World Not Known, that's what.

Stick hero stats on it and I'm all over it!

Nice cover too :)

Stats will be provided for SAS Tri-Stat, M&M, and HERO.

As for more information on the setting, basically it postulates what would our world actually be like if metahumans had been around as long as anyone else. What impact would they have on society, the founding of nations, wars, technology, social constructs such as racism, etc.? Sure, those are all old topics from comics (mutant hate in the X-Men, for instance), but they typically aren't handled realistically -- rather, the situation is portrayed as a plug-in issue or event to a world more like our own rather than a world that develops around such conditions.

It's taking a while to write because there's a LOT of research going in to it -- we want you guys to read the book and think "wow, yeah, I could see how that would happen if the Confederate Army had been able to field an entire regiment of superbeings," for example. We want you to walk away feeling like you've actually read an alternate history that drags you in and lets you participate in it. It also means the book has grown well beyond the scope of what was initially planned (a good thing, in my opinion.)

By the by, down the road I'll be looking for playtesters -- people who are very familiar with all, some, or just one of the systems involved. What better place to ask for people to double check my HERO numbers than here, right? Anyone interested should email me at trustrum@misfit-studios.com . I'll be playtesting in the typical manner, forum discussion, as well as in a PbP game for each system, one of which I'll be running.

Yeh, I noticed. I was just noting for any publishers who might wander in that they can guarantee a sale by doing so. (wink, nudge, etc.)

As for playtesting, I wish I could. Victim of timing, unfortunately.